PDA

View Full Version : eBay wheel replicas

yura
02-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Anyone have experience with replica wheels on eBay?

Specifically looking at these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-CH-STYLE-STAGGERED-WHEELS-5X120-RIM-FITS-BMW-E46-E90-E92-/370913428669?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item565c29c4bd&vxp=mtr

I'm sure they're cast instead of forged like real BBS... any info beyond that? Am I going to regret this? :eeps

Avetiso
02-05-2014, 07:17 PM
I've heard plenty of stories of people running eBay wheels just fine. I've also heard stories (and seen pictures) of them literally shattering into pieces when hitting a bump. I'd message the seller and try to get as much info as possible about how the wheels are produced and to gauge the integrity of both the wheels and the seller.

As always, if you do buy them, please review them!

Avetiso
02-05-2014, 07:18 PM
If this is the same company as the seller, it sounds legit: http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-spec-wheels-and-tires-hayward

yura
02-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Dario.

I'm only a bit hesitant because of my prior experience with aftermarket (OCZ Ultreleggera) wheels - that set cracked three times in the 1.5 years that I owned it, and was a huge pain in my life. Since then I've only bought OEM wheels. I wouldn't mind spending up to $1200 or so for an authentic (used) BBS set, but they're very hard to find and at that price usually require refinishing :(

Avetiso
02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Dario.

I'm only a bit hesitant because of my prior experience with aftermarket (OCZ Ultreleggera) wheels - that set cracked three times in the 1.5 years that I owned it, and was a huge pain in my life. Since then I've only bought OEM wheels. I wouldn't mind spending up to $1200 or so for an authentic (used) BBS set, but they're very hard to find and at that price usually require refinishing :(
I totally understand the sentiment. Legit BBS is pricey. The wheels you posted are actually my favorite style, but legit is laughably out of my budget as a student. These actually look pretty interesting.

johnrando
02-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm not positive, but I recall hearing that OZs are on the more brittle side.

Avetiso
02-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Ugh, those wheels look so hot.

derbo
02-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Thanks, Dario.

Stock 135 rims can crack and bend too. Unfortunately some aftermarket rims weren't made with potholes in mind. Reviews will help others steer away from certain type of rims.

I follow this rule when it comes to replica wheels:

All replica wheels should be certified by TUV (Technical Examination Association), ISO (International Organization for Standardization), and JWL (Japan Light Wheel Alloy). These certifications check for safety and quality.

-Do some research on the company and check internet reviews on them. Not all replica wheels are made with the same. Some are equal if not better than OEM sometimes. Others well...you get the idea.

APEX ARC8 (the ones I have) are BBS RC replicas. They have been proven to be strong and track worthy. These reviews help me feel better about buying a replica. Sure its a replica, but finding a BBS RC in 17x8.5 in a BMW E36 or E46 non-m fitment is going to be hard.. since they are out of production in that size.

cakM3
02-06-2014, 05:45 AM
... I wouldn't mind spending up to $1200 or so for an authentic (used) BBS set, but they're very hard to find and at that price usually require refinishing :(

This is how much I spent on my BBS CH wheels. If you are patient enough you can find deals like this for an authentic set of BBS wheels. Keep in mind... at $1200 you will most likely have to pay to have the wheels refinished.

When I got my set I then spent an additional $800 to have all of them completely refinished so they are in show room condition. Still....well worth the money I spent on my set :thumbsup

For the longest time, I have been looking at those ebay BBS CH reps because I didn't think I would ever source an authentic set of BBS CH wheels. I'm glad I waited :)

yura
02-06-2014, 11:35 AM
OEM BBS wheels SQUARE in seemingly great condition for $1k shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-18-BBS-5x120-BMW-Acura-TL-RL-New-CTS-Malibu-Hyper-Silver-Custom-Wheels-/121256391519?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item1c3b71b35f&vxp=mtr

If they were wider (9"), I'd be all over that.

Avetiso
02-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I've been doing some more digging. The wheels in OP are produced by YSM Wheels, a Chinese company that sells in bulk to retailers. They make tons of OEM replicas, from ZHP wheels to E92 M3, as well as aftermarket replicas, such as BBS. I haven't found much in terms of reviews, except for one guy with a Merc who ran them for 1200 miles. No more info after that, so I have no idea how those wheels held up.

At least the seller of these wheels is here in the US, so you can call them and press them for information as far as safety certifications.