PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running 245-255 hp with your ZHP please post your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

diverse
02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
I am really curious what sort of times I can expect with future modifications

IF those of you with engine or vehicle modifications
who have dyno'd your car

and have also done some runs
please post your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

It will really help me with my cost/benefit analysis

webster
02-13-2014, 11:19 AM
not trying to be a downer at all, lord knows i spent a bunch on mods, but IMHO, the ZHP was engineered from the factory with pretty maxed specs for the M54 engine/drivetrain. you willl have to spend $$$ to get to 255hp. besides, the ZHP is all about balance and handling, esp. in the twisties. it ain't a mustang!

that said, the best bang for your buck power-wise will be headers. anything else (tune, intake, exhaust, pulleys, stewart water pump etc) will provide very slight gains. if you upgrade ALL of those plus headers you will probably be right at 255hp. i expect at that point you will have spent close to $10k.

also, before considering ANY of those mods, you will want to ensure all maintenance is up to date. cooling system especially.

there's a great post on E46f that details all the mods and corresponding gains, item by item. i'll try to see if i can dig it up. somebody else may have it bookmarked.

edit: found it

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8920788&postcount=6

diverse
02-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Wow very cool thank you for that.

I had read that last week and was blown away by the posters knowledge unfortunately he never gave any performance times

I suppose no one really knows or doesent want to reveal

but your statements about the intention of this vehicle strike a chord.
I get what you are saying.

maybe I will leave the rest alone.

Thanks for your honest opinion

Smolck
02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
not trying to be a downer at all, lord knows i spent a bunch on mods, but IMHO, the ZHP was engineered from the factory with pretty maxed specs for the M54 engine/drivetrain. you willl have to spend $$$ to get to 255hp. besides, the ZHP is all about balance and handling, esp. in the twisties. it ain't a mustang!

that said, the best bang for your buck power-wise will be headers. anything else (tune, intake, exhaust, pulleys, stewart water pump etc) will provide very slight gains. if you upgrade ALL of those plus headers you will probably be right at 255hp. i expect at that point you will have spent close to $10k.

also, before considering ANY of those mods, you will want to ensure all maintenance is up to date. cooling system especially.

there's a great post on E46f that details all the mods and corresponding gains, item by item. i'll try to see if i can dig it up. somebody else may have it bookmarked.

edit: found it

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8920788&postcount=6

I am going to largely disagree with this post. With nothing more than a set of headers, a tune and an intake you will get close to 255-260hp at the crank without spending more than $800 (ebay headers, used intake, $300 euro charged tune for members). A stock ZHP drops 200-210hp to the wheels (manual of course) so when I see dyno charts of guys getting 230hp or even 240hp at the wheels, that is easily 260hp at the crank.

My ZHP with 205k miles on it and ebay headers, intake and 3.46 gears will do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. My friend who has a 330ci (not ZHP) ran a 14.3 1/4 mile time and I can get his car by two car lengths through 80mph so that is likely a 14.1?

The headers are the magic maker IMO for the ZHP. Because if the increased cam lift and duration, the headers REALLY open up the engine.

Just last week I beat a 2009 Mustang GT (300hp car) from a dead stop to 80mph. Sure, he was walking away from me beyond 80mph (horsepower always wins in the end!) but I had him by 2 car lengths off the line. Was he a bad driver? I didn't stop to ask. But it was neat to win that drag race.

I have a few videos of 0-60 times and longer on my youtube channel. Just check them out, link in my sig.

All that said, the E46 doesn't like drag racing. I busted my differential not long after the headers by doing a 3500 rpm launch from a dead stop. Not what it was intended to do, but fast nonetheless.

Look at the video below from 3:44 and watch my speedo swing wildly to the right. I even short shift 1st gear.

http://youtu.be/IsWvah_2ank

stephenkirsh
02-13-2014, 02:42 PM
that said, the best bang for your buck power-wise will be headers. anything else (tune, intake, exhaust, pulleys, stewart water pump etc) will provide very slight gains. if you upgrade ALL of those plus headers you will probably be right at 255hp. i expect at that point you will have spent close to $10k

Tune is $350
Intake is $400
Exhaust is $700-1400
Headers I don't know cuz I'm in CA, but let's say $1000
Pulleys are $250
Stewart pump is $175 but doesn't add power.

Only $3750 max. Long ways from $10k

You can add in new cams for another $1000 or so.

Smolck
02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Tune is $350
Intake is $400
Exhaust is $700-1400
Headers I don't know cuz I'm in CA, but let's say $1000
Pulleys are $250
Stewart pump is $175 but doesn't add power.

Only $3750 max. Long ways from $10k

You can add in new cams for another $1000 or so.

My headers were $100. Hell, add another $3000 for the VAC motorsport head to go with those cams and you can add 30hp to a N/A ZHP pretty easily. Then you start bumping against the wall. But you are close to 300hp for less than $7000.

BUT......if I had $7000 to blow on my car, I'd be doing an LS1 swap. Vorsclag has a kit halfway done, I could figure the rest out myself. 400hp and 25mpg's all day long with that engine. And a helluva lot more robust than the M54.

slater
02-13-2014, 02:53 PM
i dunno about you guys, but the few days i've had with the ZHP - i'd say the stock config is ample. it has enough power to upset the chassis, which means it has enough power. i don't want any more power. and the chassis balance is spectacular. as a stock car, it's dang good. more than enough for public roads.

now, for track use, that's another story. :)

peter

Smolck
02-13-2014, 02:54 PM
i dunno about you guys, but the few days i've had with the ZHP - i'd say the stock config is ample. it has enough power to upset the chassis, which means it has enough power. i don't want any more power. and the chassis balance is spectacular. as a stock car, it's dang good. more than enough for public roads.

peter

I thought so too. A set of Koni Yellows changed my mind though. Then the balance is even better!

stephenkirsh
02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Whoa didn't realize headers were so cheap. Stupid California.

peter

There's always room for more power :)

Smolck
02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Whoa didn't realize headers were so cheap. Stupid California.

Cheap headers are so cheap. :biggrin I do not mean to say ebay headers are as good as some name brands. But they do the trick.

Real ones are $1100. But so far, mine have been doing just fine. And yes, STUPID California! (on so many levels)

johnrando
02-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Cheap headers are so cheap. :biggrin I do not mean to say ebay headers are as good as some name brands. But they do the trick.

Real ones are $1100. But so far, mine have been doing just fine. And yes, STUPID California! (on so many levels)

Easy now... :)

Smolck
02-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Easy now... :)

I could elaborate, but why bother? Just know that as I type this I am sitting in public wearing my pistol on my hip and it is 100% legal to do so. One of many reasons I say what I say.......

johnrando
02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
The way I look at it, every place has it's pluses and minuses. I take no offense to those who don't care for the minuses here, just want to make sure we all steer clear of getting into generic (or specific) state bashing that's not productive.

stephenkirsh
02-13-2014, 03:47 PM
I live here and bash it lol. But having been to about 20 other states, I like it the best.

az3579
02-13-2014, 04:18 PM
A stock ZHP drops 200-210hp to the wheels (manual of course) so when I see dyno charts of guys getting 230hp or even 240hp at the wheels, that is easily 260hp at the crank.

Please link to these charts as I've yet to see anything near this range without forced induction on a ZHP.

Avetiso
02-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Please link to these charts as I've yet to see anything near this range without forced induction on a ZHP.

I've seen 3-4 corrected dynos laying down 200hp at stock. 205hp was max I've seen at stock.

Not that I could find it for you now, though. :(

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
02-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Bah, that used to be legal in California, as long as it was unloaded, not concealed, you weren't too close to a school, not a convicted felon, over 18 (or 21?) etc. But last year it became illegal.

I could elaborate, but why bother? Just know that as I type this I am sitting in public wearing my pistol on my hip and it is 100% legal to do so. One of many reasons I say what I say.......

My ZHP put down 190 RWHP stock (with ~145,000 miles on motor) and 199 RWHP on a SAE corrected DynoJet after bolting on pulleys and Shark Injector. Now that I added CAI, it's probably 204. If I did exhaust without headers, maybe 210-214 RWHP. If I added exhaust, headers, and throttle body on top of what I've got now, maybe I could get to 230 WHP. Since my ZHP was kind of low on the HP stock (189 instead of 200), maybe a fresh one or rebuilt motor with all the bolt ons could hit 240 RWHP without resorting to to FI. But at that point I think a supercharger kit with 4-6 PSI of boost will be less expensive than putting on all the other stuff with NA motor.

diverse
02-13-2014, 04:59 PM
I am going to largely disagree with this post. With nothing more than a set of headers, a tune and an intake you will get close to 255-260hp at the crank without spending more than $800 (ebay headers, used intake, $300 euro charged tune for members). A stock ZHP drops 200-210hp to the wheels (manual of course) so when I see dyno charts of guys getting 230hp or even 240hp at the wheels, that is easily 260hp at the crank.

My ZHP with 205k miles on it and ebay headers, intake and 3.46 gears will do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. My friend who has a 330ci (not ZHP) ran a 14.3 1/4 mile time and I can get his car by two car lengths through 80mph so that is likely a 14.1?

The headers are the magic maker IMO for the ZHP. Because if the increased cam lift and duration, the headers REALLY open up the engine.

Just last week I beat a 2009 Mustang GT (300hp car) from a dead stop to 80mph. Sure, he was walking away from me beyond 80mph (horsepower always wins in the end!) but I had him by 2 car lengths off the line. Was he a bad driver? I didn't stop to ask. But it was neat to win that drag race.

I have a few videos of 0-60 times and longer on my youtube channel. Just check them out, link in my sig.

All that said, the E46 doesn't like drag racing. I busted my differential not long after the headers by doing a 3500 rpm launch from a dead stop. Not what it was intended to do, but fast nonetheless.

Look at the video below from 3:44 and watch my speedo swing wildly to the right. I even short shift 1st gear.

http://youtu.be/IsWvah_2ank

Watching your video very enjoyable banter sounds good
The first launch at about 2:16 but the camera wasn't on the dash until you were past 60 I tried to compensate and came up with about 6:0 but that second rolling launch seemed like it was 4 flat. very impressive.

Thanks for sharing

Avetiso
02-13-2014, 05:04 PM
The way I look at it, every place has it's pluses and minuses. I take no offense to those who don't care for the minuses here, just want to make sure we all steer clear of getting into generic (or specific) state bashing that's not productive.
+1!

There are plenty of things I hate about California... I forgot about all of them when I drove home today with my sunroof open, the sun was shining, and it was a beautiful 75 degrees Fahrenheit outside. Meanwhile, the East Coast gets buried in snow.

Win.

BRGcoopahS
02-13-2014, 05:18 PM

I would absolutely kill to live where you live. I'm going to San Fran and big sur this spring and plan on going to SoCal 2015. I seriously want to move there. I'll deal with 91 octane and strict car modification laws any day for amazing weather and beautiful scenery.

slater
02-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I thought so too. A set of Koni Yellows changed my mind though. Then the balance is even better!

oh yeah? i've always liked them on other cars in the past. are they externally adjustable on this car? some cars they are 'standard' adjustable, which is dumb if you ask me.

peter

Smolck
02-13-2014, 07:36 PM
oh yeah? i've always liked them on other cars in the past. are they externally adjustable on this car? some cars they are 'standard' adjustable, which is dumb if you ask me.

peter

Fronts are, rears have to come off. For $200 more you can get top adjustable rears too.

slater
02-13-2014, 07:45 PM
worth the $200. taking them out to adjust 15 times over the tuning period is not a fun time!

peter

Smolck
02-13-2014, 07:55 PM
worth the $200. taking them out to adjust 15 times over the tuning period is not a fun time!

peter

Eh, I don't find it that bad. I can make full adjustments in 45 min. For me, the extra $200 was too much.

There is a Dyno thread on fanatics. Bunch of charts with ZHPs on it with those numbers. Headers on the ZHP are worth 20hp easy due to the cams. Regular cars get 10-14, the ZHP gets more. The cams are allowed to do what they do so much better which is why the gains are larger on the ZHP.

328ioc
02-14-2014, 04:53 AM

I have seen these too so I'll try and find the threads.

But I would say at least 190-210 is healthy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
02-14-2014, 09:06 AM
How many hours of labor is it to swap headers?

Thinking of doing the swap on/off for smog -_-

Smolck
02-14-2014, 10:12 AM
How many hours of labor is it to swap headers?

Thinking of doing the swap on/off for smog -_-

I got my old manifolds off in an hour and a half. New ones took 2.5 hours if you count the time it took to rethread some exhaust studs into the head (easy).

As long as the headers match up underneath they are a breeze. NOTE: Install the header closest to the firewall (bank 2) FIRST!

Nivo
02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Wanna make power on these cars?

first restriction that I have seen and a huge one is the exaust, get headers for the biggest gains throughout the powerband.

Other mods, because of the variable and continous cam timing and the torque target software built in the DME will barely bump you up in peak whp.

Trick on the M54 is the exhaust side of things... and right off adding cams.

Once you have the manifolds off you start thinking, should I port the exhaust ports.. take a look at it if you do headers.

Controlling the exhaust cam timing can bump you up another 10whp.

even most of the tunes on the market barely bump your power.

you will keep throwing money at it and so far the max I have seen for WHP is aggieE46 with 237WHP...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=736943

There is barely a difference between the ZHP and the regular MS43 cars, the 10HP is at the crank and that translates to about 2 whp more...

diverse
02-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Wow impressive numbers
@posted link.

He got all of that from extra hp from headers and a cam?

My concern is that if I change my headers I will flunk Emissions

I live in Atlanta Georgia

and although I have never seen the inspector look in my engine bay the hard.

I would hate to pay for a mod that renders my car as a non registerable vehicle.

stephenkirsh
02-14-2014, 02:03 PM
That's why I asked about swapping them on and off when if comes time to do emissions.

I didn't think Georgia was that strict?

Nivo
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Wow impressive numbers
@posted link.

He got all of that from extra hp from headers and a cam?

My concern is that if I change my headers I will flunk Emissions

I live in Atlanta Georgia

and although I have never seen the inspector look in my engine bay the hard.

I would hate to pay for a mod that renders my car as a non registerable vehicle.

He had every possible mod possible on these cars. $$$$

diverse
02-15-2014, 07:42 AM
That's why I asked about swapping them on and off when if comes time to do emissions.

I didn't think Georgia was that strict?

Yeah I guess I could swap on and off. once a year. Having a shop do it not sure how much that would cost but is an option.

I am not sure how strict Georgia is I have only lived here a little while

Originally from NYC
I had lots of connections that could get around emmisions there.

However, I don't know anyone here.

so I would rather play by the book.

But it is a Red state of the muscle car friendly. maybe they are not as strict as I think.

diverse
02-15-2014, 07:43 AM
He had every possible mod possible on these cars. $$$$

lol @$$$$$ and every mod possible

JupiterBMW
02-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Here's my take on this thread... If you want bigger power than a ZHP, don't buy a ZHP. If you really want big power in a ZHP, boost it.

/thread

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

Lanister
02-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Boost = Replacement for Displacement. Bewm.

mimalmo
02-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Here's my take on this thread... If you want bigger power than a ZHP, don't buy a ZHP. If you really want big power in a ZHP, boost it.

/thread

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

Joop's right. You're going to spend thousands to gain 30-40 hp. Just boost it.

Avetiso
02-15-2014, 08:22 PM
+1 don't waste your time trying to make serious power from the M54. Even after boost, you are only in ///M3 range, at which point I think an S54 swap makes more sense, so long as you can do the work yourself.

ChrisCSL#25
02-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Dario, you are wise beyond your years. Maybe I can lend a little perspective to this thread. I dated a woman from East TN who told me the new sheriff had a early 90s notchback Mustang and was pulling speeders over right and left. She said she thought he had a "hoss" motor in it. I told her 5.0 was the biggest you could get in them. She insisted he had a "hoss" motor in it. I insisted that 5.0 was the biggest you could get. She hesitated and said, "Look, we're in the South. It's what we do!" LOL Our buddy is from Georgia. :-)

Avetiso
02-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Dario, you are wise beyond your years. Maybe I can lend a little perspective to this thread. I dated a woman from East TN who told me the new sheriff had a early 90s notchback Mustang and was pulling speeders over right and left. She said she thought he had a "hoss" motor in it. I told her 5.0 was the biggest you could get in them. She insisted he had a "hoss" motor in it. I insisted that 5.0 was the biggest you could get. She hesitated and said, "Look, we're in the South. It's what we do!" LOL Our buddy is from Georgia. :-)
Haha! I agree, there is some sort of thrill out of seeing what you can do. I suppose us BMW owners forget that more than others because less of us experiment with our cars to the extent muscle and JDM do.

I definitely will try to get some more power outta my engine. :biggrin

diverse
02-15-2014, 11:30 PM
I grew up in new York but all the guys who taught me about cars were from south Carolina and Georgia and ran muscle cars.
one guy had a bored out 500 ci 72 Cadillac with fuel cell and back seats and floor boards removed and it ran low 1/4 miles.
So the joke is more than appropriate.
I have to admit yeah there is something satisfying about getting as much out of your engine without selling the farm.

I just got off the phone with a tech at a local indie bmw performance shop where I will be taking this car.

Surprisingly, He has talked me down from doing headers.
His reasoning is because I have an automatic.
He said something about the gains from the headers will be compromised by the
limitations of the automatic. (not sure what he meant by that.)

his thoughts are make sure the car is up to date on maintenance. he said this more than once.
As for mods he says he could sell me 10k worth of mods but doesent recommend it because it will be too much for too little
He did have some ideas for how to get the most out of my car.
his advice is as follows
"Take your time do one thing at a time"
Here is his list.
some software 300-400
, a good tune, 300-700 (Whats the difference between software and a tune)
cat back exhaust 700
', intake, 300-400

my list on top of his
under pulleys 250 (for off the line twitch)
pedal box or sprint boost 300 (for the responsiveness)

(not sure of the difference between software and a tune)
He says doing these things will add some hp not a lot but I will feel it.
I am willing to go this far. if it means I will get some
good feel.

no heads, probably no cam. and no headers and no LSD (for now.)

I have considered a super charger. and turbo, and nitrous
I thought that vf engineering had the best product for the money at 4,500

but I am not really ready to spend super charger or turbo charger money. when I can get a rebuildable salvage m3 for that money.

Not to mention too much power in the zhp will cause problems because the extra strain will probably break my diff or wear out my automatic.

Keeping the naturally Aspirated engine intact is important to me. As well as making my 3 mile commute to work on back streets
(lots of straights) more fun.

if it makes the car more fun to drive I am all for it.
Yeah I definitely have the need for speed bug.

As tempting as a motor swap sounds
I have only swapped one engine before. It was an identical motor swap and I was just the assistant.
I hear the m3 swap is not so simple, so I think I will be over my head.

All in all at the end of the day I have a bad case of

G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome)

I think the list is very do able and the cost is small enough for me to take the bite size mod bits

I think the reality is that getting to 255hp will be out of my reach this year.

and if I want monstrous power I should get a monstrous engine in a car like the m3.

I have read more than once that as a daily driver this car is
the best all around driver bmw has made.
so I don't want to create something it was not meant to be
By turning it into a drag racer.
Just want to have some thrills on the straights.

ChrisCSL#25
02-16-2014, 05:54 AM
The Caddy sounds cool! The reason I found the joke funny, is because my mother's family is from Virginia and I'd somehow forgotten about that Southern trait. :-) I hope your adventure works out for you. Keep us updated.

stephenkirsh
02-16-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't think having an automatic would stop you from seeing gains. It's an extra 10% loss, but it's not a glass ceiling.

diverse
02-16-2014, 11:31 AM
The Caddy sounds cool! The reason I found the joke funny, is because my mother's family is from Virginia and I'd somehow forgotten about that Southern trait. :-) I hope your adventure works out for you. Keep us updated.

If you dont mind I would like to share the cadillac story.
it was queens 1992 my boss had a 12 sec 1967 Ford Torino

We were set to race for money with a crew from the south side of queens.
(these are all older cats in their 40-50's

they rolled up with an orange caddillac and a malibu with a chevy crate engine it. pushing 500hp

my boss and his people checked the caddy out to make sure there was no nitrous or super charger.

once the inspection was over
we headed over to the 1/4 track
we towed ours they drove theirs

we lost them for a few blocks but then we saw them again and we met at the track

they had me do the wave off.

I stood in front of the two cars and waited for them to say they were ready

ok here is where it got weird

I saw a cat walking accross the street just slightly behind the cars

when it got behind the caddy I could see the cat through the front window of the caddy
the caddy had no floor boards no back seat

the crew from the south side had two 72 orange caddilaCS

THIS ONE NEARLY BEAT my bosses car.
in fact it was so close they couldnt call it and wanted to run again but the police were coming so
we quickly put the car back on the trailer and got out of there.

I will never forget how fast that caddy ran.

tkundhi
02-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Focus on the exit speed and getting on the throttle early. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
02-17-2014, 03:45 PM
I put down a 227whp after tune/headers and all my little supporting mods. That's about 262 crank.

Goin' HAM mobile

mimalmo
02-17-2014, 04:03 PM
That car always did pull strong, even when stock.

Newjack
02-17-2014, 04:04 PM
I put down a 227whp after tune/headers and all my little supporting mods. That's about 262 crank.

Goin' HAM mobile

I just mathed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
That car always did pull strong, even when stock.

Was well taken care of by the PO ;)

Also had fresh vanos done which didn't hurt

Goin' HAM mobile

UdubBadger
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM

I just mathed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I round up for badassness

Goin' HAM mobile