PDA

View Full Version : ZHPregistry - bogus entries

jiggz
02-13-2014, 01:24 PM
1st off....yes, I'm a little bored today...

I was checking out ZHP's on Autotrader.com and decided to cross-check some VINs with ZHPregistry.net. 1st off, there's a lot of them out there not yet registered. I registered 6-8 today.

I also noticed of those already registered, many had inaccurate or incomplete information. Mostly Jet Black vs. Black Sapphire, Black leather vs. Alcantara, even saw 1 vehicle entered that had missing/unknown interior color, and a Silver-Gray listed as Steel Gray. FWIW I emailed ZHPregistry with the corrections - not sure if they care or not? (is that someone here that runs that?)

Obviously anybody can enter a VIN. There are many free BMW VIN decoders out there - it would be nice if people could verify the vehicle specs before entering so we have accurate information on the ZHP population :cheers

ELCID86
02-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Nice job. And I do think we need to try and check/register all the VINs we see. The site owner is a member here and does care. I recently asked him to increase the number of VINs that can be registered from a given IP address during a specific period. He responded and increased it to 10. I have also emailed him about corrections and he has always responded.

Can you post decoder links here? (I may be to blame for some of the "black errors"!)

alexandre
02-13-2014, 01:57 PM
It would be nice if the decoder pulled the color/interior/etc from the vin directly. Enter the VIN, and everything else gets filled out.

ELCID86
02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
^ who could write that code/interface/api?

jiggz
02-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Can you post decoder links here? (I may be to blame for some of the "black errors"!)

I use BMWVIN.com - registration is free.

I also noticed some of the entries have a build date - where is that information coming from? The user can't enter this information, though BMWVIN does have this info.

alexandre
02-13-2014, 02:35 PM
I can do it :)

ELCID86
02-13-2014, 02:39 PM
I use BMWVIN.com - registration is free.

So does that link you to this: http://www.vincheckpro.com/vinreport ?

ZHPRegistry.net
02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Yes we care. I did receive your email. I can't promise that I can fix this right away. Please keep sending corrections they will eventually be taken care of.

Thanks!

p.s. I periodically look into Unknown interior or exterior car and set the correct values. Also, one important point is that you have to expect some degree of error in the entries given that adding the cars is wide open to the public. Had I introduced a concept of registration, username password etc we would have 200 cars registered at best.

Please do point out inconsistencies, as I said, I will eventually address them all.

ELCID86
02-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Yes we care. I did receive your email. I can't promise that I can fix this right away. Please keep sending corrections they will eventually be taken care of.

Thanks!

p.s. I periodically look into Unknown interior or exterior car and set the correct values. Also, one important point is that you have to expect some degree of error in the entries given that adding the cars is wide open to the public. Had I introduced a concept of registration, username password etc we would have 200 cars registered at best.

Please do point out inconsistencies, as I said, I will eventually address them all.
Thanks for what you do. What are your thoughts on building an interface to a VIN decoder?

ZHPRegistry.net
02-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks for what you do. What are your thoughts on building an interface to a VIN decoder?

College was largely a waste of time for me but there is one thing that I did learn is to respond to questions like this with "Sure, how much time and money are you willing to spend" :)

The challenge is that I developed the site few years back due to being bored. Ever since then my dayjob and my family are keeping me very occupied and I am having trouble finding even few hours to spend on the site. That is really the only obstacle, I think it's a great idea.

ELCID86
02-13-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm not a coder myself (or a dbase guy). I'm sure some others here might want to collaborate. Alex??

cakM3
02-13-2014, 04:36 PM
College was largely a waste of time for me but there is one thing that I did learn is to respond to questions like this with "Sure, how much time and money are you willing to spend" :)

The challenge is that I developed the site few years back due to being bored. Ever since then my dayjob and my family are keeping me very occupied and I am having trouble finding even few hours to spend on the site. That is really the only obstacle, I think it's a great idea.

We have some bright guys/gals here on this site....perhaps one of them or even a few of them can help you out with your site? We can start up a thread to see if there are any interest among our members here who have the ability to help you out... Just a suggestion.

jiggz
02-14-2014, 06:55 AM
So does that link you to this: http://www.vincheckpro.com/vinreport ?

No - different site. Though I see there's a link to this one above on BMW VIN...

http://www.bmwvin.com

ELCID86
02-14-2014, 07:23 AM
No - different site. Though I see there's a link to this one above on BMW VIN...

http://www.bmwvin.com
Thanks. So you have to sign up for an account.

stephenkirsh
02-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Depending on the type of data crunching you need, I can help out. I work with pivot tables all day at work.

jiggz
02-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks. So you have to sign up for an account.

Correct. It's pretty quick. I signed up for one as I've been looking for an X5 - they're a little trickier to identify options on in pictures vs. a ZHP so the decoder comes in really handy especially for those.

ELCID86
02-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Correct. It's pretty quick. I signed up for one as I've been looking for an X5 - they're a little trickier to identify options on in pictures vs. a ZHP so the decoder comes in really handy especially for those.

Thanks. Works well. Now we just need some on to work with them and write an interface!

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.