PDA

View Full Version : Finally trying to scan and code

NorCalZman
02-15-2014, 08:35 AM
I have had the scanner for awhile, but I have never tried to install it on my mac. After a series of false starts and error messages my roommate and I got it working and went out to the car to scan it. I attached the "report" that PA Soft spits out. I tried looking these codes up and they don't seem very common, so I guess they are not something to worry about? I could not find out much. I am going to scan again this morning and take some screen shots as it seems the report isn't showing everything. Then I will erase and scan again in a week or two, as has been suggested. Any coding people who are bored feel free to review and comment.

I will be trying to do the cooling gauge mod this morning as well. Excited for that.

NorCalZman
02-15-2014, 12:00 PM
All the modules the scanner read (am I missing any?):

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/16/9e8ynuzu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/16/4apa9upa.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/16/ebyqy2e2.jpg

Cleared all the codes and only one module, the SRS, had codes that wouldn't clear. They are shadow codes so I don't know why they wouldn't clear. Any ideas?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/16/e6urusyq.jpg
Codes: 097, 003, 112

Was not able to program my temp gauge as the values look different than what Terra gave us. I have a private message out to him for his insight. Maybe what we find out will help others trying to do the temp gauge mod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tkundhi
02-15-2014, 02:39 PM
How did you install on the Mac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crickett
02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
NorCal,

I’ve had a couple of the SRS errors that you have, specifically the seat occupancy sensor and the belt tensioner resistance too high. They’re pretty common failures in the E46. I wired up a dummy plug for my seat occupancy sensor (so it always “detects” a passenger), and ordered a new belt tensioner cable as my original one had chaffed and frayed to the point of electrical failure. Check under your passenger seat and you’ll probably see a cable or two that look worn or broken.

Good luck with the coding!

NorCalZman
02-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Great tips, thanks. What's strange is I don't get any SRS dash lights. You'd think if something serious was wrong with a safety system it would trigger a warning light right?

JupiterBMW
02-15-2014, 07:10 PM
How did you install on the Mac?

I run VMware fusion 4.0 with windows XP.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

NorCalZman
02-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Right sorry about that. Yes as Jon said I downloaded VMware and windows XP as well.

tkundhi
02-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Thx. Was it straight forward after getting the USB port active on XP?

NorCalZman
02-16-2014, 09:22 AM
How to Install the BMWScan
Disconnect from the internet – just click the wireless icon in your Mac, and “Turn Wi-Fi Off”.
From Windows XP SP2 in VMWare:
• Connect the device via USB (not connected to your car for now).
• Windows will ask you if it can search the web for drivers. Tell it No, and point it to the drivers in a folder that you create with files extracted from “BMWScan Drivers.zip”
• Then install the software with “BMW_Scanner_v1408_Install.exe” – allow it to create a shortcut on your desktop for easier access when given the checkbox.
• It seems at this point that you should disconnect the device, and restart your computer. It should be fine to re-enable WiFi on your Mac too.
• Now, connect the device to your car, and to your computer via USB.
• Open “BMW Scanner v1.4.0” on your desktop.
• It should open and see your car, but, if there are errors:
o You can take a look at this website if it’s around: http://www.resettools.com/bmw_scanner_1.4.0
o Or, and this has been tried:
• Disconnect from the car, restart Windows for good measure.
• Open Regedit
 via Start > Run, type: regedit and click OK.
• In Regedit, go to Edit > Find, and search for: PaSoft
• When it finds the folder, right-click it, and click Delete.
• Now, connect the device to your car, and connected it to your computer.
• Open “BMW Scanner v1.4.0” on your desktop, and it should run.

tkundhi
02-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the details! I'll attempt when I return home. Soaking in the nice weather in Miami.

derbo
02-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Looks like I'll have to try this later. My Windows 7 with BMW Tools does not like the PA Soft drivers apparently. I installed XP SP3 via Parallels as well to see if it will work with the PA Soft. Thanks!

derbo
02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Hey, your log says you have a M3 LKM?

NorCalZman
02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Looks like I'll have to try this later. My Windows 7 with BMW Tools does not like the PA Soft drivers apparently. I installed XP SP3 via Parallels as well to see if it will work with the PA Soft. Thanks!

Sure. If you still have issues and need to do anything re: coding you are welcome to come over and use my laptop/scanner.

Hey, your log says you have a M3 LKM?

Yup. I bought a new LCM with the updated software so I could do all the neat lighting stuff. Triple blink lane change, trifecta lighting, brake force display, Euro Hazards, etc.

derbo
02-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks man. I want to figure it out. It bothers me that it doesn't work. Doesn't PA Soft write a new VIN into the LKM so it doesn't say that? Do you have a tamper dot right now?

NorCalZman
02-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks man. I want to figure it out. It bothers me that it doesn't work. Doesn't PA Soft write a new VIN into the LKM so it doesn't say that? Do you have a tamper dot right now?

The VIN on the LKM matches the one on my car. The mileage is within 4km of what my car says. No tamper dot. I did not do the programming, it was Jupiter. Jon, Do you want to chime in and explain why no tamper dot?

NorCalZman
02-25-2014, 07:24 PM
The temp new temp gauge curve is in my car as of Monday. Very happy with it. I tested the curve as the car warmed up and it matched the values in the other thread perfectly.

Tonight I played with some of the coding pages. In the ZKE, I found that my alarm was not coded right from when I asked the dealer to do it for me. The motion sensor and the tilt sensor were not activated! I activated them and tested out the motion sensor. It works great. I reached into the car and it went off almost immediately. On the same page I checked all the convenient locking/unlocking options. now when I hold the lock or unlock button the front windows roll up and down. VERY neat! I was surprised how fast it coded the options in. It was almost instant.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/26/yra8apa6.jpg

The LCM page is a bit of a mystery. I am not sure exactly what options and columns should be checked and should not be checked. I am leaving it alone for now.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/26/my6emedy.jpg

JupiterBMW
02-26-2014, 02:28 AM
The VIN on the LKM matches the one on my car. The mileage is within 4km of what my car says. No tamper dot. I did not do the programming, it was Jupiter. Jon, Do you want to chime in and explain why no tamper dot?

That's apparently the car that the LCM came out of originally. I followed BP's guide to code it for a new VIN, but it still has the same details. It will show the last 7 of the new vin though, and that's all that matters. No tamper dot, I've done 5-6 that way...

cakM3
02-26-2014, 03:33 AM
That's apparently the car that the LCM came out of originally. I followed BP's guide to code it for a new VIN, but it still has the same details. It will show the last 7 of the new vin though, and that's all that matters. No tamper dot, I've done 5-6 that way...

I think BP needs to chime in here.....paging BP!

JupiterBMW
02-26-2014, 04:03 AM
I think BP needs to chime in here.....paging BP!

Eh, I don't think there's a problem with his procedure. The LCM operates well and there's zero effects. The only time you'd notice is while doing any coding... I'm ok with it as is.

NorCalZman
02-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Yes it has been working just fine since I installed it and I have been getting plenty of use out of things like the triple blink so Thank you.

I was more curious about what the various fields like cold checks, hot checks, and BC message boxes, etc actually do and how what is checked now compares to a stock ZHP.

I really wish there was a guide for pa soft that explained what each field does. What the hell does xenon with HVAC mean?! Haha.

It's my inner business analyst curiosity.

Edit: you know what, I am going to see if I can consolidate some of that information. Stay tuned....

derbo
02-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Xenon with HVAC means auto climate and xenons as an option on your car.

sent from Moto X Dev edition

NorCalZman
02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
So it is related to the climate control. That's a seriously weird pairing on the screen. I wonder why it would be together on the screen like that

So what is AHL? Automatic headlights? We have that too but can only select one option in that sections. Doesn't make much sense.

derbo
02-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Unless I am wrong and it means headlight vertical aim control...

Sent from my iPad

NorCalZman
02-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Ok so like the up and down movement. Our cars have that too.

Do you have any theories on why that section is grouped together like it is and radio buttons so you can only select one?

terraphantm
02-26-2014, 01:40 PM

It is possible to fix the equipment list. With NCS Expert, what you'd have to do is read the FA from your AKMB and then do "FA_WRITE" on the ALSZ. It's possible to do it with PASoft too, but I don't remember how. I think there's a function to copy the details from the IKE to the LCM

derbo
02-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Ok so like the up and down movement. Our cars have that too.

Do you have any theories on why that section is grouped together like it is and radio buttons so you can only select one?

I'm not familiar with PA Soft and I can't really get it to work on my damn mac so I haven't had time to play around with it. Sorry!

NorCalZman
02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Well if we ever get together maybe I can assist you with setting it up. Maybe even try the PA Soft file/drivers I used.

derbo
02-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks! I am using 1.4.0.7 ATM. which works PERFECTLY with my xp laptop from 2003. Not so much my macbook from 2013..lol

NorCalZman
02-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Maybe you missed a step installing it? Who knows. I have 1.4.0.9.

derbo
02-26-2014, 06:01 PM
I installed XP SP3. Install BMW140. Plug in Scanner to Car, plug in USB to macbook. It ask for drivers. I located them in BMW140/Drivers. It says unsigned, I continue anyways. Then I run BMW140..and boom no work. :(

I dont know what else to do at this point LOL.

NorCalZman
02-26-2014, 06:22 PM
what does boom no work mean? is it throwing an error? which one? Have you tried doing this in SP2?

derbo
02-26-2014, 06:53 PM
LOL. yes. It means I get a hardware is not ready sporadically. I unfrotunately do not have a SP2 ISO anymore. I only have SP3 and CDKEY for SP3. I tried VMware, and Parallels. Will try Virtual Box tonight. maybe I'll buiild a fresh install OSX to see if there is a problem with my OSX.

JupiterBMW
02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Hmm, Derek, I was JUST in PA Soft, doing the speedo error correction and temp gauge recalibration... I didn't think to look, but I am running it through VMWare Fusion. Its not a Retina MBP, its a mid 2011 MBAir... Anyway, if there's anything I can do to help, text me...

derbo
02-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Hmm, Derek, I was JUST in PA Soft, doing the speedo error correction and temp gauge recalibration... I didn't think to look, but I am running it through VMWare Fusion. Its not a Retina MBP, its a mid 2011 MBAir... Anyway, if there's anything I can do to help, text me...

Thanks Joop.

I'm currently using:

Retina MBP 15" 2013
OSX 10.9.2
Parallels Build 9.0.24172
Windows 7 x86 (BMW Diagnostics is working on this VM)
or
VMware Fusion Professional Version 6.0.2 (1398658)
XP SP3

and no luck.

Sorry for threadjacking.

NorCalZman
02-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Could there be a chance the scanner itself is faulty, or maybe the cable?

derbo
02-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Could there be a chance the scanner itself is faulty, or maybe the cable?

It works perfectly with my XP laptop. I'm not sure if there is a scream for it to be faulty. I am trying my 2012 Macbook Air I gave my dad. Installing Parallels now.

edit:
Well interesting. It works on the 2012 Macbook Air. Definitely a OSX problem with my macbook pro.

terraphantm
02-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Always worked fine on my MacBook Pro (retina), though mine is the 2012 variant.

Hornung418
03-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Bump.

I've followed Revtor's instructions for coding using NCS dummy, but when I load the NCS Dummy profile in NCS Expert, I get an invalid VIN error. Any tips to remedy that? I would love to code all the cool options like trifecta lights and euro hazards. I followed the correct lines of code for the brake force display and exported the .man file but I can't load it into expert :(

Sent from my GS3.

derbo
03-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Where does it fail?

1. Load up NCSexpert
2. File -> Load Profile ->Revtor Profile
3. (F1) VIN/ZCS/FA -> (F3) ZCS/FA f. ECU, ALSZ
4. VIN error?

Hornung418
03-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Exactly! ECU not responsive...

Sent from my GS3.