PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System Refresh

orange260z
02-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Hey guys, starting to think about cars again - it's that "excited anticipation" time of year again!

I bought my April-2005 build 2005 330Cic last summer, and have about 75K kms on it. Should I be in a rush to do the cooling system refresh? How far do I need to go for preventative maintenance? Do I really need to replace the rad?:rolleyes

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

stephenkirsh
02-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Can't hurt to have peace of mind.

They fail quite often. My expansion tank exploded one day.

kayger12
02-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Hey guys, starting to think about cars again - it's that "excited anticipation" time of year again!

I bought my April-2005 build 2005 330Cic last summer, and have about 75K kms on it. Should I be in a rush to do the cooling system refresh? How far do I need to go for preventative maintenance? Do I really need to replace the rad?:rolleyes

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Water pump and thermostat at 60k miles.

Expansion tank, radiator, fan/fan clutch at 90k miles.

Hoses at 150k miles.

Safe plan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Avetiso
02-15-2014, 05:32 PM
I have 75k miles on my OG cooling system sans the T-stat. Will address it when funds arrive.

BCS_ZHP
02-15-2014, 05:49 PM
I thought the Mike Miller recommendation was t-stat, water pump, hoses, ET& temp sensor every 60K and radiator every other time you do the cooling system (so every 120K). IDK, but that's what my preventative butt follows, it never hurt a car to be over maintained.

kayger12
02-15-2014, 05:50 PM
I thought the Mike Miller recommendation was t-stat, water pump, hoses, ET& temp sensor every 60K and radiator every other time you do the cooling system (so every 120K). IDK, but that's what my preventative butt follows, it never hurt a car to be over maintained.

Miller recommends the intervals I listed.

I pulled the numbers right from his old school maintenance schedule.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BCS_ZHP
02-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Ok, memory isn't as good as it used to be, hope the other parts (of me, not the car) don't fail me. I've been following the everything at 60K and the radiator every 120K for the last few years and will likely stick with that cause its easy to remember.

ELCID86
02-15-2014, 06:07 PM
150k on the hoses seems a bit risky to me.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

kayger12
02-15-2014, 07:38 PM
150k on the hoses seems a bit risky to me.

Agreed. Just changed mine out at 75ish.

I've never seen a reported hose failure, but that's probably because everyone changes everything out at 60k anymore.

stephenkirsh
02-15-2014, 10:53 PM
I feel like you should just to the whole cooling system at once. Parting it out doesn't save much money in the long run.

orange260z
02-16-2014, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all the responses, guys.

Is age a factor? My car will be hitting 9 years this spring. But the mileage is very low, and I may not be subject to the same heat as many of you. And the car isn't winter driven, so it doesn't experience the heating up from extreme cold (which I would expect to be hard on plastic parts). The car is used in temps from about 0C (32F) to an absolute max of 38C (about 100F).

Again, I'm looking for the moderate approach - I realize that replacing everything may be the absolute best, but there is a point of diminishing returns and I'm trying to find mine.

So far, I'm thinking the best option may be the FCPeuro cooling kit with the Hepu WP may be the best bet, perhaps along with a belt & tensioner kit. Seems like the Hepu Wp has a better rep than the Geba that ECS uses?

For the belt & tensioners, do I need the hydraulic or mechanical tensioners? My car is an April 2005 build.

Thanks again guys!

alexandre
02-16-2014, 07:32 AM
You can probably wait for a bit, but as you said age is definitely a factor. I'd do water pump, thermostat and expansion tank and probably skip the rest at this point. Radiator is overkill - I replaced my original one at 340,000km and my car is winter driven.

For the water pump, isn't the OEM Saleri? As for the tensioner, you probably have hydraulic, but you should take a pic of that area so we can confirm. No need to buy a whole assembly, what you need to replace is the shock itself and the pulley.

stephenkirsh
02-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Age is very much a factor. I think it's just as important as miles

kayger12
02-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Age is very much a factor. I think it's just as important as miles

Disagree.

A small factor, yes. The same or even nearly the same importance as mileage, no.

Wear on cooling system components mostly comes from repeated heating and cooling cycles and (in the case of the water pump) mechanical wear.

A two year old water pump that was in a car driven 30k a year is ready to be replaced.

A seven year old water pump in a car driven 4k a year is not.

orange260z
02-16-2014, 12:02 PM
As for the tensioner, you probably have hydraulic, but you should take a pic of that area so we can confirm. No need to buy a whole assembly, what you need to replace is the shock itself and the pulley.

Ok, just took a look under the hood. I THINK that I have the hydraulic, I think I am seeing the "banjo" top of the hydraulic cylinder behind the pulley.

JKO_ZHP
02-16-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm at 110,000 miles and just replaced the radiator, coolant expansion tank, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat to the radiator, mounting bracket for the expansion tank, and maybe a few other things I forgot. Had a leak somewhere at around 105,000 miles so I thought replacing everything would be best anyway.

stephenkirsh
02-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Disagree.

A small factor, yes. The same or even nearly the same importance as mileage, no.

Wear on cooling system components mostly comes from repeated heating and cooling cycles and (in the case of the water pump) mechanical wear.

A two year old water pump that was in a car driven 30k a year is ready to be replaced.

A seven year old water pump in a car driven 4k a year is not.

I'm just going by experience with they system as a whole.

My 325 had 100k on it after 8 years and had 0 leaks and was pretty solid when I refreshed the cooling system.

My dad's 330 has 55,000 miles and 9 years and has had two leaks in his cooling system.

The 325 had 2x the miles but was roughly the same age as my dad's leaky 330.

Bottom line, I think age and miles are equally important, especially as the e46 gets older. Plastics and rubber seals will age even if they're not being used.

Cooling system components are cheap enough that they should be replaced to prevent risk of overheating, and destroying, an engine.

ELCID86
02-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Bottom line, I think age and miles are equally important, especially as the e46 gets older. Plastics and rubber seals will age even if they're not being used.

Cooling system components are cheap enough that they should be replaced to prevent risk of overheating, and destroying, an engine.

+1

Johal E32
02-16-2014, 07:42 PM

Agreed. If a cooling system has not been done on an E46.. I would do hoses, t stat, water pump and expansion tank plus cap. Replace Radiator if it's leaky.

Im nearing 180k on my stock radiator.

fredo
02-16-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm at 110,000 miles and just replaced the radiator, coolant expansion tank, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat to the radiator, mounting bracket for the expansion tank, and maybe a few other things I forgot. Had a leak somewhere at around 105,000 miles so I thought replacing everything would be best anyway.

Don't forget about the water pump. True story: my Indy recommended a system refresh at 140k on my e46. For some reason, he didn't include the WP. I sold the car 5k miles later. Thw WP failed on the buyer's first day of ownership.

JKO_ZHP
02-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Don't forget about the water pump. True story: my Indy recommended a system refresh at 140k on my e46. For some reason, he didn't include the WP. I sold the car 5k miles later. Thw WP failed on the buyer's first day of ownership.

Totally forgot about that, I had that replaced too. Graf water pump.

cakM3
02-17-2014, 05:08 AM
Not sure if you guys had this issue but when I swapped expansion tanks during my refresh I forgot this little piece from my old expansion tank...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/mynypa4u.jpg

My new expansion tank didn't come with this retaining clip and I didn't remember to swap it over until I started to take my ZHP out on a road test.

Did any of you guys notice this on your new expansion tank?

gmurphy
02-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Not sure if you guys had this issue but when I swapped expansion tanks during my refresh I forgot this little piece from my old expansion tank...

My new expansion tank didn't come with this retaining clip and I didn't remember to swap it over until I started to take my ZHP out on a road test.

I have yet to put it on my car but I do have that piece in my kit. (Not much help)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-17-2014, 05:32 AM
Pretty sure I had one in my coupe when I did the refresh ~2 years ago.

danewilson77
02-17-2014, 05:43 AM

The brand new tank in my trunk does not have this. I think this is your question, no?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

orange260z
02-17-2014, 06:32 AM
I believe this is a separate piece and comes with some if the kits.

Any issues with the Geba water pump in the ECS kits? I know the Graf doesn't have a very good rep (poor welds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

kayger12
02-17-2014, 07:12 AM

That piece doesn't come with the OEM tank. You have to either order a new one or switch over the old one.

I just switched it over from the old tank.

cakM3
02-17-2014, 07:16 AM
That's what I thought. I did the same....used the old clip. Nice to know though.

WOLFN8TR
02-17-2014, 09:43 AM
That's what I thought. I did the same....used the old clip. Nice to know though.

Mine didn't come with one either, used the old clip and No issues.