PDA

View Full Version : On-Hand Spares for Long Trip

ChrisCSL#25
02-16-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm planning to take a trip from Dayton, OH to Jacksonville, FL in a couple of weeks to attend the Amelia Island Concours. Since I'll be travelling through the "wilds" of KY, TN and GA most of the way, can anybody suggest any on-hand spares? The shop where I bought the car did the Inspection II and replaced the water pump, thermostat and both alternator and A/C belts. I've heard the overflow container can give up the ghost and create havoc. The car still has 57K miles because we're still buried in snow. Just had to get that in there. Basically, my concern is there aren't BMW shops in every little town between here and Florida. I fully trust the car will make it. (I work in Air Force logistics so forgive me if it looks like I'm getting myself worked up over nothing). Thank you in advance for your information. Chris

kayger12
02-16-2014, 08:40 AM
At your mileage my primary concerns would be thermostat and water pump, both of which you've addressed. I wouldn't sweat the expansion tank. It should still have at least 30k left in it.

Fuel filter, engine drive belts, and pulleys are the other things that are a good idea to change out at 60K. If you thaw out enough to address them, I'd just do them before you go (if possible).

ChrisCSL#25
02-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Thank you kayger 12!!

bshovers
02-16-2014, 10:12 AM
I am planning to pick a car up in the Atlanta are and drive back to Wisconsin. The owner has replaced radiator hoses disa valve vanos whole bunch of stuff. He said tires have fifty percent but reading this post I remember him saying the thermostat might have an issue. The car is on the FS forum for 8999 located in GA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Oil and 50/50 coolant.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

kayger12
02-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Thank you kayger 12!!

Very welcome.

Oil and 50/50 coolant.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

^This. Always have both in the trunk of my ride.

NorCalZman
02-16-2014, 11:32 AM
That's a good idea. Does someone sell pre mixed bmw coolant or do you have to mix it with water yourself?

kayger12
02-16-2014, 11:35 AM
That's a good idea. Does someone sell pre mixed bmw coolant or do you have to mix it with water yourself?

I've never seen it sold premixed. Pretty sure they only sell the gallon of concentrated coolant.

tkundhi
02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
BMW stopped selling premixed coolant a few years ago. Remember it mix with distilled water.

Avetiso
02-16-2014, 11:41 AM
I buy concentrated coolant and then mix it into other bottles. I have 50/50 bottles laying in my garage so I don't spend a bunch of time diluting every time I need to add coolant or whatnot.

It's more convenient.

bshovers
02-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Whats is this then?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11526-bmw-antifreeze-coolant-1-liter-bottle.aspx?utm_source=goog_product&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=82142209769&gclid=CIyO5-Pq0bwCFa47MgodGF0AcQ

gmurphy
02-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Whats is this then?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11526-bmw-antifreeze-coolant-1-liter-bottle.aspx?utm_source=goog_product&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=82142209769&gclid=CIyO5-Pq0bwCFa47MgodGF0AcQ

Just a smaller bottle of the coolant I think.

brettbimmer
02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
The list above is good, and I usually toss the Bentley manual and basic hand tools in the car too. Also BE SURE to check the tire pressure in your spare! Often forgotten until needed on the side of the highway.

Driven round trips from MD - Sarasota, FL twice, and MD to ME & MD to NH. No trouble with the zhp. You should have no trouble with her on your journey. Enjoy the drive!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ChrisCSL#25
02-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks everybody for their input! It's greatly appreciated! I'll post pictures of the 3.0 CSL Art Cars when I get back.

fredo
02-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Will you travel at night ? If so, a lamp with fresh batteries could be handy.

ChrisCSL#25
02-17-2014, 03:17 AM
Fredo, probably won't travel long distances at night. I'll add this to my list. Thank you.

ELCID86
02-17-2014, 05:17 AM

Some will condone the use of this: Zerex ZXG05RU1 G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant - Gallon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033QQ4VW/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Purists will not :ducking

Smolck
02-17-2014, 06:59 AM
I took my ZHP from Bama to Omaha last summer. 2000 miles round trip without so much as a hiccup. Never got a sore back, never put a foot wrong. She was a dream.

With your mileage I'd say just go and be happy. You will likely be fine. A socket kit with 8-18mm isn't a bad idea and some torx bits. Hell, you can remove most of the front half of the car with a 10mm and a T-30 torx! I always keep old belts, pulleys, and cooling system components I replace (because I do them BEFORE they fail) and some tools in the trunk because you never know. I have more than once done emergency Tstat repairs on the side of the road.

If you do get stranded, I am in Bham and only 2-3 hours from most places in TN and GA so if the poop hits the fan, PM me. I'll come rescue you.

ALL that said, I 100% believe you will be just fine.

Asiah119
02-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Sidetracking the thread. My family is all from Dayton and Kettering. Enjoy the warm while you're away.

The only things that I carry in the car regularly are a breaker bar and socket for my wheels. On a longer trip I'd bring duct tape and water (or actual coolant) along with my smallish tool kit, maybe also some zip ties, and a quart or two of oil. I view roadside maint as something you do to limp your car to a mechanic or somewhere that's safer to do actual work.