PDA

View Full Version : weak rear defroster? Anyone else? normal?

NorCalZman
02-17-2014, 09:19 AM
I do not drive my car much early in the morning, but this morning I did to run someone to the airport. Car was covered in morning dew. I needed to run the front defroster full blast with AC and windshield wipers to clear off the front window in a few minutes.

I also turned on the rear defroster and it seemed to take forever to clear the rear window. It turned off automatically (after ~10 minutes?) and there was still too much dew on the rear window. I had to turn it on again and it stayed on for exactly 5 more minutes before turning itself off, still leaving some dew on the rear window.

How strong are other mafioso's rear defroster? worse? better?

Is it possible for one to slowly get weaker over time?

danewilson77
02-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Strong like a bauce.

Was you rear window ever tinted?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NorCalZman
02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes it's tinted but I feel like i have noticed it taking awhile to defrost before I got the tint too.

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 11:49 AM
I'd say mine takes a while, too. Not sure why.

alexandre
02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Is your alternator putting out 13.8+ volts ? The rear defroster is one of the most taxing elements on the car's electrical system, so that could be a symptom of (oncoming) alternator issues.

NorCalZman
02-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Voltage appeared to be fine last time I checked it. I can try to find what option in the menu it was and look again though.

JKO_ZHP
02-17-2014, 01:40 PM
The top half doesn't even work anymore while the bottom half is fine for me.
Going to have the alternator checked out, been meaning to anyways.

ELCID86
02-17-2014, 03:49 PM
The top half doesn't even work anymore while the bottom half is fine for me.
Going to have the alternator checked out, been meaning to anyways.

Check for cuts or deterioration in the wire (lines). I saw a repair kit that might work.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

brettbimmer
02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Check for cuts or deterioration in the wire (lines). I saw a repair kit that might work.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

+1. Believe that Mike Miller had a write-up on repairing a rear defroster some years ago. Most common cause were cuts/separation in the wire on the glass as it is susceptible to damage.

billyjack
02-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Mine is very slow.

BRGcoopahS
02-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Mine is fine even in snow. Although I have a vert which kind of amazes me how it works well.