PDA

View Full Version : Need insight on "aftermarket" MAF

az3579
03-02-2014, 08:12 AM
I have to replace my MAF. Great.

I was looking up prices on a Genuine BMW MAF. The price is astronomical, right along the lines of how ridiculous their pricing is on EACH Oxygen Sensor. Give me a break...

I started looking at aftermarket alternatives, ones that I know are from a reputable brand. I found a VDO MAF for nearly $100 less than the ridiculous $380-400 pricing I found on the Genuine BMW one. Even nearly $300 is way too much than I want to spend on it, but I thought it might be my best option.

I know that VDO is an OEM supplier for BMW for lots of electronics. I asked my mechanic friend and he said that VDO does make original equipment MAFs for BMW. This to me gives me the warm and fuzzies because the one I'm looking at is also made by VDO. I told him about it and he said "it's a risk" because it's "aftermarket". Aftermarket? I do understand the difference, but I don't understand why it would be a risk if this is an OEM supplier of MAFs for BMW. He went on to tell me that BMW pays the vendors to not sell the same part on the aftermarket. To me, this means "ok, let's make a very slight change to the casing" or "add a notch here or there so it slightly differentiates from the Genuine part". He seems to think that it is functionally different than the OEM part, to which I disagree heavily. I'll tell you why.

If VDO is a supplier to BMW and they offer both Genuine BMW parts and aftermarket, then why on earth would the aftermarket part be any different than the Genuine part functionally? Why wouldn't they just make a cosmetic change and call it a day? This to me makes no sense whatsoever, especially from a reputable company such as VDO.

Let's just say, for the sake of example, that it was functionally different. Would they deliberately make a part that won't meet BMW's spec? This is taking VDO's reputation into account.

Does anyone have any particular experience with the VDO "aftermarket" MAF for the E46 330i? Comments on this whole "aftermarket" vs "OEM" thing if it's the same supplier for both aftermarket and OEM?

Avetiso
03-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Sounds like hot air. Why would VDO make a bunch of parts that are great, OE grade replacements, and then skimp out on the MAF?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

az3579
03-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Sounds like hot air. Why would VDO make a bunch of parts that are great, OE grade replacements, and then skimp out on the MAF?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

It's not just a MAF in question but ANY part, really...

The thing is, I don't want to go off of "hot air", I would love to have some data, facts. I figure there is a reason there's a $200 price between the VDO and the next aftermarket alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
03-02-2014, 12:10 PM
BP,

how did you determine you need a MAF? I might be in the same boat.

Hermes
03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't think it would be an issue to use a VDO one

HokieZHP
03-02-2014, 01:54 PM
I have one that I got from Stu at the last meet. But sold my car so don't need it. If you want it it's yours for he price of shipping. I was told it's new.

If you want it lemme know and I'll try to find it

tkundhi
03-02-2014, 06:02 PM
BP,

Just because VDO (part manufacturer) is OE for some BMW parts does not mean their other OEM parts are built to the same spec and the OE part. In order of reduced risk it is BMW, OE, OEM, other. Here is a real example. Meyle is a BMW OE manufacturer for suspension parts. But they were not the OE supplier for the E30 and E34. Lemforder was the OE supplier. There was a huge difference between the price and parts. Meyle parts were failing much sooner. I have a friend that refreshed the whole suspension on his E34 M5 only to have squeaks and vibrations in less than a year. He ended up doing it all again using Lemforder parts. On several E30 groups people very vocal about only using BMW or Lemforder control arms because of the dangers associated with the part failing on track.

I'm not suggesting your avoid, OEM parts but I do suggest researching as you are doing. IMO, if you can not confirm that VDO makes the M54 MAF then it probably isn't worth the risk. The properly functioning MAF is critical engine performance. Note, you may be able to have the MAF rebuilt. My E34 M5 buddy just had this done ($245) as his part is crazy expensive. I think he was quoted over $700 for a new one. The rebuild was done by Injection Labs Inc. in Boulder, CO. I'm not sure if it is possible for the M54 MAF or not.

Good luck,

t.

az3579
03-02-2014, 07:41 PM
I have one that I got from Stu at the last meet. But sold my car so don't need it. If you want it it's yours for he price of shipping. I was told it's new.

If you want it lemme know and I'll try to find it

That would be sooooo awesome. If you can get the part number from it as well I'd really appreciate it. I've been told that the part number was superseded for the MAF at some point, so if it's the latest then sign me up! If it isn't the latest then I'll have to see what the issue was with the old one. If it's not a big deal, then I'm still interested even if it's the old part number. Please let me know if you still have it!

BP,

Just because VDO (part manufacturer) is OE for some BMW parts does not mean their other OEM parts are built to the same spec and the OE part. In order of reduced risk it is BMW, OE, OEM, other. Here is a real example. Meyle is a BMW OE manufacturer for suspension parts. But they were not the OE supplier for the E30 and E34. Lemforder was the OE supplier. There was a huge difference between the price and parts. Meyle parts were failing much sooner. I have a friend that refreshed the whole suspension on his E34 M5 only to have squeaks and vibrations in less than a year. He ended up doing it all again using Lemforder parts. On several E30 groups people very vocal about only using BMW or Lemforder control arms because of the dangers associated with the part failing on track.

I'm not suggesting your avoid, OEM parts but I do suggest researching as you are doing. IMO, if you can not confirm that VDO makes the M54 MAF then it probably isn't worth the risk. The properly functioning MAF is critical engine performance. Note, you may be able to have the MAF rebuilt. My E34 M5 buddy just had this done ($245) as his part is crazy expensive. I think he was quoted over $700 for a new one. The rebuild was done by Injection Labs Inc. in Boulder, CO. I'm not sure if it is possible for the M54 MAF or not.

Good luck,

t.

I was unaware that Meyle ever made suspension components for BMW as original equipment. I know the brand of choice for the E46 330i at least is Lemföerder. I know that Meyle's quality has gone down the tubes recently, and have always known them as an aftermarket supplier, not OEM. Thanks for the info.

I am unaware of VDO producing any bad quality parts. Why would they make lesser quality parts if it would tarnish their reputation? This question remains to be answered, as having a lesser quality part with the same manufacturer makes absolutely no sense, which is why I have a very hard time believing that the VDO part is of a lesser quality or doesn't meet BMW specifications despite being made for a BMW.

HokieZHP
03-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Here's what's on it. Stu said he installed it but then took it off cause turns out his original was fine.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/aqa3u3y6.jpg

Smolck
03-04-2014, 06:54 AM
I bought an "aftermarket" MAF, it threw a CEL right out of the box. When it comes to electrical components (cam sensors, MAF, Crank sensor, etc) you need to stick with quality stuff.

tkundhi
03-04-2014, 07:09 AM
BP,

I didn't intend to say all Meyle suspension parts are bad or that VDO is sub par. Maybe the simplest statement is research is important and if you can't verify the quality of a part (particularly the MAF) stick with the BMW or OE option. I may be wrong about Meyle being an OE suspension supplier but I do recall hear that a couple times. Frankly I've never taken the time to check. FWIW, I put Meyle tie rods on my E46 wagon about two years ago. After discussing the options with the guys at Bimmerworld, I was comfortable with that application. Have you asked anyone like Bimmerworld or Turner their opinion on the MAF? If either of them said the VDO part is good, I would trust them. Just be sure they understand how you use your car.

t.

az3579
03-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Here's what's on it. Stu said he installed it but then took it off cause turns out his original was fine.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/aqa3u3y6.jpg

Do want. :)
Please PM me your PayPal and amount.

tkundhi
03-04-2014, 12:41 PM
FYI, I just had a conversation about the MAF with my BMW tech. VDO is a suitable replacement for the OE part. He's been using them without issue. One tidbit I learned is that some aftermarket air filters like K&N drop in will contribute to MAF failures.

One of the codes my car is throwing is MAF related and it happens to have a K&N drop in. Swapped to a known good MAF and it's still throwing the code. Next he's updating the DME software as there are known MAF updates from the version that is in my car. Stock BMW filter is going in too. Resisting this month's Dinan 15% off specials.

t.

az3579
03-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Well one thing is for sure: I will not be getting rid of the GruppeM intake I have. The sound, when paired with my TSE3 exhaust, is far too addictive.

I wonder what the explanation is for aftermarket filters contributing to MAF failures... Any clue?

sillieidiot
03-04-2014, 03:23 PM
oil and larger particles probably bombarding it. since to get more performance, the filter is less restrictive. then you have filters that are oiled, and the oils get on the maf too.

as for the the price difference. i think when you pay for bmw, it's not only the markup but the warranty you get on all the parts. the parts should be similar. but i have noticed that the aftermarket ones don't fit as well sometimes (even the OE brands). honestly, it could just be that they make all of them to OEM specs, then the rejects get the BMW brand shaved off and sold as aftermarket lol that makes more sense to me than making 2 different versions of the same part.

HokieZHP
03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Well one thing is for sure: I will not be getting rid of the GruppeM intake I have. The sound, when paired with my TSE3 exhaust, is far too addictive.

I wonder what the explanation is for aftermarket filters contributing to MAF failures... Any clue?

I ran my gruppe M with my MAF and had no issues for it. But you're right, that gruppe M with my magnaflow was the best sound!

derbo
03-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I never had issues when the gruppe m was in my car BP. However I am getting CEL with the afe intake ibstalled. Too lean codes. I am on a stock intake with a K&n drop in filter with no issues ATM.

sent from Moto X Dev edition

tkundhi
03-04-2014, 09:12 PM
My BMW tech doesn't dislike all aftermarket intakes. Had has good things to say about some. He suggested a couple options if I wanted something other than stock. But for now the stock air filter is fine. I was just passing along he has seen many bad MAFs in cars that also had K&N filters. His comment was along the lines of if you want to upgrade the intake do it right. Just dropping in a $40 filter is going to cost you $500+ in the long run.

FYI, he sold me a Eurosport/ITG foam filter intake for our E46 wagon years ago. We've put 70k miles on that without any MAF issues.

t.

tkundhi
03-05-2014, 08:51 AM
BP, you may need to clear the DME adaptations after installing the new MAF. This was necessary on my car. Installing the new MAF alone didn't not solve my SES light. Once the the adaptations were reset, the faults did not come back. FYI, we couldn't do it with the SnapOn computer. We had to use the actual BMW computer. I'm not sure if there are other ways to clear them.

t.

derbo
03-05-2014, 09:21 AM
T,

That might be my issue too. I did not try to clear the DME adaptations when I installed the AFE intake.

az3579
03-05-2014, 10:53 AM
The code is persistent right now even after clearing so I know there is an actual issue. I will be clearing the adaptations again after I put in the replacement and see what happens.