PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather CCV

Au1994
03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
If I have the cold package does that mean I have the 'cold weather ccv' I have read about here or is that too logical?

From everything I have read the answer is 'no' but thought I'd check with the experts. From what I have gathered the Cold Pkg has never been about mechanical changes no matter the model.

Car was originally sold in Maryland if that makes a difference.

gmurphy
03-03-2014, 01:12 PM
It does not. That package is for the heated front seats and rear folding seats. Also gives you headlight washers. A cold CCV kit usually has to replace the existing CCV. The cold kit has insulated hoses. Good question though. I would think that to be logical too. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/04/tanydete.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
03-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Cold weather package and a cold weather ccv is two different things.

OEM CCV for the cold weather with insulated hoses
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Emissions/ES2550214/

Au1994
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks! I knew I could count on a good quick answer from the familia.

I'm putting together my maintenance list so I wanted to make sure I include all possiblities to know what to budget for.

HokieZHP
03-03-2014, 01:21 PM
When I did my CCV I went ahead with the cold CCV in case I kept the car in blacksburg or for whoever the next owner was in case the car went north.

PirateZHP
03-03-2014, 01:22 PM
When I did my CCV I went ahead with the cold CCV in case I kept the car in blacksburg or for whoever the next owner was in case the car went north.

Thanks! ;-)

Vas
03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Is replacing the dipstick tube necessary though?

HokieZHP
03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
No I don't believe so. Can't remember if I did mine or not though

LivesNearCostco
03-03-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm planning to replace my CCV with the cold weather version, though cannot be sure if my CCV was replaced before or not (being the 4th or 5th owner of my car). Do not plan to replace dipstick tube but will order the O-ring and probably remove dipstick to make sure it's not clogged with anything, and to make it easier to R&R the CCV. Saw a great 3-part DIY video series on YouTube, created by Bav Auto. Here's part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWXtiCwRH-k

My problem is I'm piling up project and maintenance parts faster than I can put them on the car! Have diff bushings, rear control arm bushings, oil pan gasket, new stainless brake lines, and rear brake caliper rebuild kits. Now thinking of adding to my spare parts collection with a CCV cold weather kit!

gmurphy
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Is replacing the dipstick tube necessary though?

No but it's part of the BMW bulletin so it is highly recommended.

jakksfor20
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
I found the cold weather CCV really difficult to put in. Took me about 45 minutes just to get it angled in there and keep the insulation from coming off. Most I've cursed at one of these cars........and I've had 6 of them.

Lanister
03-03-2014, 02:38 PM
You can easily tell if you have a cold weather CCV or not. Cold weather version has foam insulation around the tubes so even if you can't see the CCV itself, the tubes will be a good indication. Most likely, you don't have a cold weather version but even if you do, it still should be replaced if the time has come.

I live in California and I opted to go with the cold version at about 91k miles on the original one. I did the job myself and it was relatively straight forward. I relied on the Bavauto video mentioned above. While you're down there, I'd recommend doing the oil filter housing gasket (OFHG). These things fail quite early and cause all sorts of mess. The benefit of doing CCV and OFGH together is that it requires removal of the alternator, which makes CCV job substantially easier because of extra room you get to manipulate the tubing, which is a bit harder to do with the cold version CCV due to all of the foam insulation.

ELCID86
03-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Can anyone substantiate that a car came with this kit from the factory?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

ELCID86
03-03-2014, 02:59 PM
No but it's part of the BMW bulletin so it is highly recommended.

I've heard that too.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

HokieZHP
03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
I found the cold weather CCV really difficult to put in. Took me about 45 minutes just to get it angled in there and keep the insulation from coming off. Most I've cursed at one of these cars........and I've had 6 of them.

yeah I had my mechanic do it and he said it was a bit of a pain to get it installed with the extra foam padding around each tube.