PDA

View Full Version : What does it feel like to drive a ZHP?

NoVAphotog
03-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Hello all, as many of you have probably noticed I've been floating around this forum over the past couple weeks and have really started to enjoy it. Getting into looking at and reading posts and looking for these cars is fast becoming a staple in my daily routine.

That said, I still have never actually driven one. I have driven (all not mine) BMW's (E46 330xi, 330ci, E39 540i, E90 335i, etc) but never the ZHP. I've enjoyed all of those experiences, well, that's a lie the 330xi was a bit boring due to the AWD, but all the others put a smile on my face. So, my question to you all is, how would you sum the ZHP up? What does it feel like to drive one?

PirateZHP
03-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Tingly genitalia... :shifty:blushing:wub:ducking

Vas
03-05-2014, 07:46 AM
They are soo great you end up buying two of them.

Avetiso
03-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm on my second ZHP. It just feels real. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I love it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

NoVAphotog
03-05-2014, 08:07 AM
I'm on my second ZHP. It just feels real. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I love it.

That does make sense, as that is the same sort of feeling I got from the other models I've driven. Connected with the road, I guess, is another way of saying it.

NoVAphotog
03-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Three, in your case, right? :p

QC_ZHP
03-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Like warm apple pie

Vas
03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Three, in your case, right? :p

Haha. Yeah 3 sedans in the family.

But the feel of the car is the biggest reason to why it's great. Nice and planted on the road. Plus the design of it looks nice and not outdated

elsanto
03-05-2014, 08:58 AM
For me it's a great all around car, not too fancy, nor too plain, not too fast (not too slow), decent MPG, very comfortable but also sporty. BMW really hit a home-run with the chassis/suspension. The e90's feel cheap in comparison to a well maintained zhp

gmurphy
03-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Once you drive one there is no going back...:roundel:jealous

ELCID86
03-05-2014, 11:12 AM

1+1

johnrando
03-05-2014, 11:30 AM
It just has that solid, grip the road fun to drive feel. It's not fast, but it feels quick/fast enough. It handles and feels great.. I'll go back to that word solid. You definitely feel connected and grounded to the road and the car... it's not floaty, but not rough. The perfect balance. Not easy to describe but it just feels right.

Au1994
03-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Connected, solid, grounded...these words seem to keep coming up in the descriptions and theres a reason for that. They are right! It is all of those things and not a get in, turn the key and forget about it driving experience. There is the perfect amount of tactile feel, steering input required and handling to feel like you are an active pariticpant in the driving experience.

Luckily I can compare and contrast on a daily basis and while my ZHP doesn't pull like the freight train that is my 335i, it still gets up and gets out of its own way. I also had a E92 and I didn't think it was too cheap but just not quite as solid (theres that word again) as the ZHP.

Buy one and you will love it. Strangely enough my ZHP has actually made me love my F30 a little bit more but I suspect once the weather turns for good, the sedan will get a lot more garage time than the ZHP. Its just that good.

BCAN
03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
It's on when you want it to be, but it will relax when you're just cruising. It's a very engaging car and it really encourages spirited driving. It's great really, especially on the day to day, it's comfortable, sporty, and very supple. I have let a few friends drive my car, one who has a B5 S4, one with a Focus ST and a few mustang guys, and they all say it's the most balanced and communicative car they've ever driven and that you can feel everything going on at each corner of the car. The E46 is just good like that, lol.

Lanister
03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
It's exciting to the senses. The car seems to provide great very balanced feedback. I feel all warm and fuzzy when cruising or pushing it in the twisties.

midlandtech
03-05-2014, 02:13 PM
it's a great all around car, not too fancy, nor too plain, not too fast (not too slow), decent MPG, very comfortable but also sporty.

This. It's exactly what I want in a daily driven car.

taptalk + Note 3

RITmusic2k
03-05-2014, 02:20 PM
It's strange, really - all the comments above about connectedness and feedback really boil down to one word for me: precision.

My last car was front-wheel drive, turbocharged, made a fair power and huge torque premium over what the ZHP does... and yet I had no fear blasting up to 145mph on a whim in that thing, all counterintuitively because of the *vagueness* of its chassis.

I'm more scared of the ZHP at 120mph than I was in my last car at 145mph, because I am acutely aware that the slightest twitch means that the car will do EXACTLY what my inputs tell it to. The car is so tight and precise; there's no debate between brain and tarmac. And it's right around that 120mph range that the motor starts pulling at the reins and threatening to wake up.

It might not pull like a racecar, but it will handle you to death.

tripod06
03-05-2014, 02:32 PM
What driving a ZHP feels like for me is pure driving bliss. When I had my ZHP, not a moment went by that I didn't think about the way it handled the corners, the way the steering felt in my hands, the way that hearing and feeling the rumble and depth of the exhaust at idle just made me get goosebumps all up and down my body. The car never got out of control for me but was never short on surprising me with what it was capable of. I will never forget the looks that I received when driving her or just the plain excitement of looking at the car when it would be in the driveway. each experience differs from driver to driver but again for myself, I never experienced a dull moment in my ZHP, even when she overheated on me lol.

I used to work for BMW at a dealership and I would drive my car to work each day and 2 mins after I arrived I was driving brand new cars all day long and still, they possessed nothing near the fun, thrill, experience, or simple pleasures that my ZHP brought me. I don't think that there will ever be a car to bring me the same happiness that my ZHP brought me.

Now I miss my car even more lol

meesh
03-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Coming from driving a 330ci ZSP, I'd say it's like driving a 330 ... but a tighter and better sounding 330.

oldzilla
03-05-2014, 04:49 PM
I agree with everything said here, but I will add this, no other car makes me smile every time in get in and start it up. No other car makes me look forward to the drive home, it takes me 10 minutes to get home but in the ZHP I have the special way home, 40 mins total with some nice twisty roads. That is what driving the ZHP means for me, I look for ways to never stop driving it.

NoVAphotog
03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the awesome replies everyone. Definitely makes me want one even more.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Junior2552
03-06-2014, 06:29 AM
To me, BMW made the ZHP package to carry on the E36 M3 feel. It makes 100 horsepower less than the new stuff, but it's still a hell of a fun car. I still miss my vert.

cakM3
03-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Not all ZHPs are created equal....:)

stephenkirsh
03-06-2014, 08:25 AM
In the infamous words of James May, "it gives me a fizzing sensation behind my penis."

Dave1027
03-06-2014, 10:03 AM
All joking aside, I'd describe it as effortless acceleration coupled with slot car like handling but a little on the rough side. When I first drove mine my first words were "holy crap, this thing is like some kind of track racer". These days, I drive pretty sedately but I know all the time it's a sleeper.

As far as the interior experience goes, the seats are sweet and the one touch personal adjustment is really cool. There are some rough edges like little things that either don't work exactly correct or I never quite figured out how to work.

3ZHPGUY
03-06-2014, 10:11 AM
"What does it feel like to drive a ZHP"

I’d say you put it on. It’s like a good pair of running shoes, a speedo, or tight great looking clothes on a tight well-built body. It just fits, a perfect fit, snug in the seat, the alcantara fills your fists like a golf club grip that you had made with a plaster cast of your grip, gages and surroundings in perfect view with all the controls at the perfect reach. Then you turn the key to hear the perfect rumble in your ears. It’s so perfect you have to hit the pedal to remind you of the power and past pleasure. You ease out the clutch being careful to not to jerk it with the PITA valve. Depending on the mods the power is noticeably more than you imagined it should be. As you start to roll you feel the road and more road than you’ve ever felt it before with every change being communicated back to you through the steering wheel. Through all of this not a clunk, not a squeak, not a rattle, nothing but pure connection. The balance is perfect as you roll through the curves and the power is more than enough to enjoy those changing elevations. As you push her harder and harder you may see a blink of amber in the center of you gages, letting you know the engineers behind this jewels creation liked to drive like you. Don’t worry; your secret’s safe when you pull in to your mother-in-laws driveway to pick her up for a family gathering. She may even complement the design and the shine as she sits back with a little smile on her face.

Nuff said, it just doesn’t get any better.

Au1994
03-06-2014, 10:33 AM

I’d say you put it on. It’s like a good pair of running shoes, a speedo, or tight great looking clothes on a tight well-built body. It just fits, a perfect fit, snug in the seat, the alcantara fills your fists like a golf club grip that you had made with a plaster cast of your grip, gages and surroundings in perfect view with all the controls at the perfect reach. Then you turn the key to hear the perfect rumble in your ears. It’s so perfect you have to hit the pedal to remind you of the power and past pleasure. You ease out the clutch being careful to not to jerk it with the PITA valve. Depending on the mods the power is noticeably more than you imagined it should be. As you start to roll you feel the road and more road than you’ve ever felt it before with every change being communicated back to you through the steering wheel. Through all of this not a clunk, not a squeak, not a rattle, nothing but pure connection. The balance is perfect as you roll through the curves and the power is more than enough to enjoy those changing elevations. As you push her harder and harder you may see a blink of amber in the center of you gages, letting you know the engineers behind this jewels creation liked to drive like you. Don’t worry; your secret’s safe when you pull in to your mother-in-laws driveway to pick her up for a family gathering. She my even complement the design and the shine as she sits back with a little smile on her face.

Do we nominate best posts of the year here? If so this gets my vote!

slater
03-06-2014, 10:43 AM

ha! agreed, that was a great exercise. well done. :)

peter

johnrando
03-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Very well said Guy.

328ioc
03-06-2014, 12:50 PM

I’d say you put it on. It’s like a good pair of running shoes, a speedo, or tight great looking clothes on a tight well-built body. It just fits, a perfect fit, snug in the seat, the alcantara fills your fists like a golf club grip that you had made with a plaster cast of your grip, gages and surroundings in perfect view with all the controls at the perfect reach. Then you turn the key to hear the perfect rumble in your ears. It’s so perfect you have to hit the pedal to remind you of the power and past pleasure. You ease out the clutch being careful to not to jerk it with the PITA valve. Depending on the mods the power is noticeably more than you imagined it should be. As you start to roll you feel the road and more road than you’ve ever felt it before with every change being communicated back to you through the steering wheel. Through all of this not a clunk, not a squeak, not a rattle, nothing but pure connection. The balance is perfect as you roll through the curves and the power is more than enough to enjoy those changing elevations. As you push her harder and harder you may see a blink of amber in the center of you gages, letting you know the engineers behind this jewels creation liked to drive like you. Don’t worry; your secret’s safe when you pull in to your mother-in-laws driveway to pick her up for a family gathering. She my even complement the design and the shine as she sits back with a little smile on her face.

Can this post be added to the front page of the website to greet all new visitors?

Well said Guy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

orange260z
03-06-2014, 04:01 PM
When I bought mine I drove a number of ZSP convertibles and ZHP or M Sport convertibles, and the ZHP/M Sports just felt a lot more planted, tighter. The ride/handling combo is exceptional IMHO.

johnrando
03-06-2014, 04:45 PM
The thing is, it's so solid you can forget. Then you drive something else and you come back to the ZHP and go, "oh yeah...".

gmurphy
03-06-2014, 04:47 PM
The thing is, it's so solid you can forget. Then you drive something else and you come back to the ZHP and go, "oh yeah...".

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orange260z
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
+1

cakM3
03-06-2014, 05:48 PM

I can relate to this....especially after spending a week driving a rental.....

In my case though....that 'oh yeah' moment John posted above comes every time I take my ///M out for a spin. Guess I'm so used to driving my ZHP that when I get back the feeling I get is oh yeah, that's where you are ;) Sort of like finding your favorite pair of shoes to wear....the moment when you spot it after looking around for it....that's the feeling I get when I drive my ZHP :thumbsup

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

3ZHPGUY
03-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Thank you

ha! agreed, that was a great exercise. well done. :)

peter

Thanks

Very well said Guy.

Thanks Boss

Can this post be added to the front page of the website to greet all new visitors?

Well said Guy.

Thank you

stephenkirsh
03-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Definitely. It was rough going back to my 325 before I sold it. And that's still an e46!

Yass_ZHP
03-07-2014, 11:50 AM

I’d say you put it on. It’s like a good pair of running shoes, a speedo, or tight great looking clothes on a tight well-built body. It just fits, a perfect fit, snug in the seat, the alcantara fills your fists like a golf club grip that you had made with a plaster cast of your grip, gages and surroundings in perfect view with all the controls at the perfect reach. Then you turn the key to hear the perfect rumble in your ears. It’s so perfect you have to hit the pedal to remind you of the power and past pleasure. You ease out the clutch being careful to not to jerk it with the PITA valve. Depending on the mods the power is noticeably more than you imagined it should be. As you start to roll you feel the road and more road than you’ve ever felt it before with every change being communicated back to you through the steering wheel. Through all of this not a clunk, not a squeak, not a rattle, nothing but pure connection. The balance is perfect as you roll through the curves and the power is more than enough to enjoy those changing elevations. As you push her harder and harder you may see a blink of amber in the center of you gages, letting you know the engineers behind this jewels creation liked to drive like you. Don’t worry; your secret’s safe when you pull in to your mother-in-laws driveway to pick her up for a family gathering. She may even complement the design and the shine as she sits back with a little smile on her face.

Preach!

mimalmo
03-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Like warm apple pie.

http://pub.nettavisen.no/multimedia/na/archive/00212/American_Pie_212905m.jpg

ELCID86
03-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Let's get Daniel's (NovaPhotog) impression!

BRGcoopahS
03-09-2014, 10:49 AM
This guy sums it up pretty well. Although he is wrong about the suspension. It's not m3 suspension, just ///M suspension components.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-fheVcIE4

NoVAphotog
03-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Let's get Daniel's (NovaPhotog) impression!

http://youtu.be/PjiVlKOpR0c

First off, big thank you to ELCID86/Shawn for letting me experience his ZHP and for giving me pointers on what to look for when inspecting one firsthand! The video is just a short example of what the ZHP got out of me multiple times...excitement and a big smile as Shawn can attest to. I definitely can agree with many of the points made in this thread. My absolute favorite thing about the car was the sound...that I6 exhaust note, the RWD, the thick wheel/being able to feel everything through it and the twistie roads we were on made me feel like I was at the track even though I was not even going that fast! :thumbup (well..."fast") :shift

Anyway, driving as well kept an example as Shawn's definitely humbled me to the fact that I really need to put time into my search. The driving experience was comfortable, fun, exciting and definitely something I want in my life. That said, the buying experience should be similar. As Shawn told me, "If it doesn't feel right, forget about it." Words that can apply to a lot of situations in life...

ELCID86
03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
http://youtu.be/PjiVlKOpR0c

First off, big thank you to ELCID86/Shawn for letting me experience his ZHP and for giving me pointers on what to look for when inspecting one firsthand! The video is just a short example of what the ZHP got out of me multiple times...excitement and a big smile as Shawn can attest to. I definitely can agree with many of the points made in this thread. My absolute favorite thing about the car was the sound...that I6 exhaust note, the RWD, the thick wheel/being able to feel everything through it and the twistie roads we were on made me feel like I was at the track even though I was not even going that fast! :thumbup (well..."fast") :shift

Anyway, driving as well kept an example as Shawn's definitely humbled me to the fact that I really need to put time into my search. The driving experience was comfortable, fun, exciting and definitely something I want in my life. That said, the buying experience should be similar. As Shawn told me, "If it doesn't feel right, forget about it." Words that can apply to a lot of situations in life...

Great meeting you and glad you enjoyed the spirited drive on our county's back roads. As I said, it get's country, quick around here. I got a grin out of watching you grin in the video! Hope you have a quick enjoyable hunt.

PirateZHP
03-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Big ups to Shawn for making this happen for you, Daniel.

Second, imagine what it would feel like with a proper great box... ;-)

NorCal-Dimitri
03-09-2014, 10:18 PM
There's nothing I'd rather do, no place I'd rather be, no girl I'd rather see. Mysti ♥

ELCID86
03-10-2014, 04:19 AM
Big ups to Shawn for making this happen for you, Daniel.

Second, imagine what it would feel like with a proper great box... ;-)
:-] --I know what you are trying to say! and Hey, watch out.

PirateZHP
03-10-2014, 04:36 AM
:-] --I know what you are trying to say! and Hey, watch out.

Effing auto-correct...

cakM3
03-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Effing auto-correct...

Hazards of using a cell phone..... it happens to all of us at one time or another Matt...:)

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Awesome that Shawn hooked you up with some seat time. I test drove one at the beginning of my e46 search and knew that ZHP was the way to go.

johnrando
03-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Nice job fellas!

WOLFN8TR
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
It's the only car I've ever owned that when I don't drive it for a few days I miss it. When I get back in and take her for a drive I realize how much I truly LOVE this car!

:happyspidey

danewilson77
03-13-2014, 06:34 PM
It's the only car I've ever owned that when I don't drive it for a few days I miss it. When I get back in and take her a drive I realize how much I truly LOVE this car!

This.

:keith

pilotnick1203
03-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Hello all, as many of you have probably noticed I've been floating around this forum over the past couple weeks and have really started to enjoy it. Getting into looking at and reading posts and looking for these cars is fast becoming a staple in my daily routine.

That said, I still have never actually driven one. I have driven (all not mine) BMW's (E46 330xi, 330ci, E39 540i, E90 335i, etc) but never the ZHP. I've enjoyed all of those experiences, well, that's a lie the 330xi was a bit boring due to the AWD, but all the others put a smile on my face. So, my question to you all is, how would you sum the ZHP up? What does it feel like to drive one?

Best car I have driven beside my dads 840... The most ungeneric e46 you can get.

Johnmadd
03-15-2014, 06:06 PM
It feels great :shifty

NoVAphotog
03-08-2015, 07:44 PM
That said, I still have never actually driven one. So, my question to you all is, how would you sum the ZHP up? What does it feel like to drive one?

Bump.

Wow. I can't believe it's only been a year since I first asked this...I can safely say it's been quite an amazing one. Forget the car. This question really comes down to the incredible time I've had just meeting and getting to know everyone. Even though I have not met a large number of everyone in person, I still feel a connection that I'm sure if and when we do meet we'll immediately have something to talk about and start sharing ideas, visions, opinions and critiques. The friends I have made over the past year are truly some of the best people I have ever known. I cannot wait to meet others in person, but even online, sharing tips and advice with new members and old everyday, everyone is on each other's side. We all value that Family knowledge and care. Which is why, bringing the car back into the picture, I can definitively answer my own question now.

What does it feel like to drive the ZHP?

Coming home. She's waiting. It's been a week. Upon sitting in the driver's seat I immediately feel comfortable as I turn the key. She bursts to life, a little rough but she's shakes it off as I back out and head out down the road. Smiling wide....................................until the 37* beep. :eeps

PS

:thumbsup

cakM3
03-08-2015, 08:18 PM
"Depending on the mods the power is noticeably more than you imagined it should be."

Dan... I think you got to experience this first-hand this weekend ;) :thumbsup I was witness to one of the biggest and widest grins I have ever seen :biggrin

mbeckel
03-09-2015, 06:29 AM
"Depending on the mods the power is noticeably more than you imagined it should be."

Dan... I think you got to experience this first-hand this weekend ;) :thumbsup I was witness to one of the biggest and widest grins I have ever seen :biggrin
+1
The right mods can make these cars an absolute rocket ship. Best thing for these cars is to give air to breathe in and out. LSD and coilovers are also a major improvement over stock

Sent from in the bushes

Simmsled
03-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Its like this...

+

=

18471 18474

Raptorman5174
03-16-2015, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE]It's the only car I've ever owned that when I don't drive it for a few days I miss it. When I get back in and take her for a drive I realize how much I truly LOVE this car![quote]

+1 on this

Sockethead
03-18-2015, 10:23 AM
I've said this before here, out of all the BMWs Kpro and I have driven/owned over the years, her highly modified 135, X5 4.8is, f30 128 with a JB1, countless various loaners.... the ZHP is still our favorite.

johnrando
03-18-2015, 10:33 AM
:like

Imola.ZHP
03-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Its not for everyone, but mine has been putting smiles on my face since 05/21/2006. Every now and then it puts frowns on my face too though, when something breaks or when I hand wash it and all I see are her defects that come with 12 years of age. But the smiles prevail!

wsmeyer
03-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Starting new thread....

danewilson77
03-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Starting new thread....
On?

"No flamesuit required"

UdubBadger
03-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Always felt "not so special" to me :dunno ;)

GoingHAM mobile

johnrando
03-28-2015, 07:25 AM
On?

"No flamesuit required"

"Been putting a smile on my face since...."

danewilson77
03-28-2015, 09:44 AM
"Been putting a smile on my face since...."
Got it.

"No flamesuit required"

TWong1200
04-17-2015, 12:33 AM
It's the only car I've ever owned that when I don't drive it for a few days I miss it. When I get back in and take her for a drive I realize how much I truly LOVE this car!

I feel this way right this very moment. I'm sitting on a plane from Honolulu to LAX. My ZHP is sitting at The Parking Spot and I can't wait to hop into it and drive it home. After being in a Ford Fusion (although it's a really nice handling car for what it is I must say!), it's going to be such a treat to hop back into my ZHP!

Ya know, I've never driven any other non-ZHP E46. So I can't say how a ZHP compares to a non-ZHP. The very first ZHP I test drove was a pile of poo. A really forgettable experience. I quickly walked away.

The following week, I drove a B7 A4 Avant and immediately drove another ZHP minutes later. I was instantly hooked on the ZHP. I said to myself, my God does this car define how a car should drive. The road feel was incredible.

I couldn't be happier with this car. Certainly my favorite car I've ever owned. Is it the fastest I've owned? Nope! But certainly the most fun I've owned.

Newguy99
04-25-2015, 01:22 AM
Two things about My ZHP...

It feels "analog". It's a tool that you USE. And it's value or benefit only comes with your proper control. And it waits for you to control it well and then rewards you with an amazing drive. And all while not being an old car. And I love old cars but to get that feel of a properly built classic while in a modern leather seat, perfectly adjusted climate control and good, factory sound dampening is pretty much awesome.

Second is communication. It talks to you. And listens. The brakes, suspension, steering wheel, throttle pedal, exhaust, seats, etc... The whole experience has something like that feeling you get when you talk to your favorite old friend (maybe wife if your lucky). That idea that maybe you two agree on more then just the current subject matter. More then anyone else understands. The ZHP just meets that age old automotive dream of wonderful communication in everything it does.

Over the top? Yes. So shoot me

johnrando
04-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Nope, perfectly said.

Sent from mobile

Imola.ZHP
04-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Damn, well put. Makes me miss mine.

Just_George
04-27-2015, 02:32 AM
Damn, well put. Makes me miss mine.

Already?!?

Imola.ZHP
04-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Already?!?

haha, I guess so, I'm driving a 1970's something MG right now, its awful. Been driving a CRV, less awful. Hopefully picking up the i3 on Thursday!

Fender215
04-30-2015, 03:03 PM
I just think of it as the best time you can have with your clothes on. Maybe that's over the top...but it's up there that's for sure.

NoVAphotog
10-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Bump for new members/prospective owners. :thumbsup

3ZHPGUY
04-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Bump for the perspective buyers!

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

cakM3
04-19-2016, 04:43 AM
You don't want my thoughts on this.... :drevil

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
04-19-2016, 08:05 AM
To quote James May, I get this "fizzing sensation" when I drive my ZHP.

MrAdventure
04-20-2016, 03:46 AM
I just think of it as the best time you can have with your clothes on. Maybe that's over the top...but it's up there that's for sure.

I'd have to give that to owning an e39 M5, however, at two weeks of ownership, second gear in a ZHP is pretty damn life-affirming!

terraphantm
04-21-2016, 06:57 AM
I think it's just a solid daily driver. Nothing earth shattering or super exhilarating. But it's a comfortable car that you can still have some fun with when you want to. The M3 is what gets my adrenaline pumping, but that also makes it a crappier car to drive day in and day out.

Adi
04-21-2016, 10:40 PM
I think it's just a solid daily driver. Nothing earth shattering or super exhilarating. But it's a comfortable car that you can still have some fun with when you want to. The M3 is what gets my adrenaline pumping, but that also makes it a crappier car to drive day in and day out.

Having owned both as well, this is pretty much my opinion too.

I had the 330i first, but the dream was always to have an M3. I loved my 330i so much as a daily driver, but when I wanted to have an exciting drive, I would find it a little bland as compared to the M3. The M3 really delivers a much more scintillating and exciting experience when driven fast, and whilst it can be a perfectly good daily driver, the 330i is just much better in that regard. But bang for buck, I think the ZHP is spot on.

shrp11
04-22-2016, 05:18 AM
So, my question to you all is, how would you sum the ZHP up? What does it feel like to drive one?

Balance! Everything feels well matched to everything else - the shifter matches the feel of the pedals, the brakes and steering feel equally weighted, all the knobs and buttons feel right.

It's a car you look forward to driving, even on short trips. I've had mine 9 and a half years now and I look forward to driving it every time :)

NoVAphotog
04-22-2016, 05:21 AM
Balance! Everything feels well matched to everything else - the shifter matches the feel of the pedals, the brakes and steering feel equally weighted, all the knobs and buttons feel right.

It's a car you look forward to driving, even on short trips. I've had mine 9 and a half years now and I look forward to driving it every time :)

Well said!! It's fun reading back through this thread after having mine for two years now...so much truth here I've learned through experience!

Also: Not too many short trips... :p

Sockethead
04-22-2016, 06:08 AM
It's a car you look forward to driving, even on short trips. I've had mine 9 and a half years now and I look forward to driving it every time :)I've had mine 8 years now and I still feel the same way

6SPDZHP
05-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Perfect car to commute. ride is not harsh but handles really good. 6th speed is good for cruising on freeway. Comfortable and quiet till you get on the pedal. I do have my e36 m3 when I want something loud and raw. usually on the weekends

Vas
05-08-2016, 06:07 AM
Perfect car to commute. ride is not harsh but handles really good. 6th speed is good for cruising on freeway. Comfortable and quiet till you get on the pedal. I do have my e36 m3 when I want something loud and raw. usually on the weekends
I have thought about going with an e36 m3 sedan from my zhp mostly due to a more raw feel.

But the zhp even in stock form is such such a good daily.

NoVAphotog
08-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Bump for new members

KevinC
08-22-2016, 06:58 PM
My best buddy, a Ford guy by nature, a former Fiat/Jaguar mechanic back in the early 80's, now captains the 757' for American Airlines - picked up my ZHP in Miami for me 4 years ago (found it on Ebay, was lucky to have him local to PDI it for me), commented after one drive "that fucker can sure bend a curve!". I think that statement sums the car up nicely.

Fast forward to last week - he sold his 10-year-old F-150 Harley Edition and bought a CPO 2015 M4 w/6MT. His last performance car was an '03 Cobra. Needless to say, he's impressed. Rat bastard.

3ZHPGUY
01-30-2019, 06:14 PM
Bump, for a fun one from the archives!

charter21p5
02-01-2019, 07:39 PM
I installed koni FSDs and all i can say is wow!

The car rides over bumps now like they are not there and when the car is pushed in the corners these shocks immediately stiffen up to provide amazing cornering response.

I have had bilstein HDs or sports in all of my previous BMWs. Not anymore for the ZHP!

joeybananaz18
02-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Well seeing as how this thread is coming up on being 5 years old, I’d like to add that ZHPs feel like nothing else that’s being built now. Things like bmw now building fwd platforms, hand gesture controls, and electronic power steering just water down the idea of driving a bmw.

My wife has a a cr-v. Every time I get out of it she jokingly says something like “so when are you gonna ditch the zhp mafia and join the cr-v army?”

My answer to her is that if someone who is not a car guy/gal is looking for a great all around car that is reliable, does what they need it to do, is safe, gets good gas mileage and modern features and so on, there is no reason to not buy a cr-v.

Now with that said, if someone who is a car guy/gal wants to get into just a fun, reliable, sporty car that can do everything they need it to do and wants to enjoy the road, there’s no reason not to buy a zhp.

johnrando
02-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Or if you want to drive a car that bores you to tears, drive a CRV. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

joeybananaz18
02-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Or if you want to drive a car that bores you to tears, drive a CRV. :)

Boring it is, but usually so are those who drive them.... don’t tell my wife I said that lol

charter21p5
02-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Lol

johnrando
02-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Boring it is, but usually so are those who drive them.... don’t tell my wife I said that lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkRofl!!!!!

Vas
02-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Speaking of the crv, give this song a listen

https://youtu.be/QIkPVglVd1A

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

joeybananaz18
02-03-2019, 03:07 AM
Speaking of the crv, give this song a listen

https://youtu.be/QIkPVglVd1A

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lol can’t wait to see all the other moms face when she rolls up to Whole Foods bumpin that