PDA

View Full Version : AHHHH......... just got home last night from being away for 3 weeks... bring on the ZHP!

slater
03-08-2014, 06:33 AM
wife and kids are still away for another 3 weeks (mother-in-law had knee replacement surgery), so after unloading the car and getting the house settled, i went to the garage to see if the ZHP would start after sitting dormant for 3 weeks...

it had been -20C for a lot of that time so i was a bit curious to see if it would start. fired up first try - awesome. our road is finally all clear and back to asphalt, but winter is still very much in effect here, so it's still on 205/50/17 snows.

some background - if anyone is curious - i picked up the ZHP about 3 days before we left for the past 3 weeks, so aside from a fairly mundane, albeit nice 2.5hr drive home with it and a trip to town or two with my son, i hadn't really gotten a chance to go 'explore'. ;)

so, i went out for a nice ride and burned through some gas. my coupe has 225K miles but was a 1-owner car, and seemingly well-maintained by BMW and then a reputable BMW indy. it runs REALLY well. it needs bushings (FCABs and rear TABs - at least, i can feel the rear is a bit squirmy, might be the sloppy snow tires), but WHAT a car. i wanted to do some 'testing' with DSC on, and then with everything off...

such balance. seriously. my AWD audis can get really loose on wet stuff when asked, but can be twitchy. this thing is so balanced - the rear can step out, and you can hold it there and balance with the throttle so nicely. and then when it hooks up and goes - man. pure. awesomeness.

i was looking at an M-Sport sedan (ZHP without cams/software/diff up here in canada), but it just doesn't feel as raw as the ZHP does. i guess i can't settle for less than a ZHP sedan + roofbox. :)

now to get the car up on jackstands and investigate what all i need to order (FCABs, control arms, endlinks) to get it to pass the ontario safety test (inspection)...

very happy to be here!

peter

johnrando
03-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Awesome. That first drive after being away is always a good one.

BavarianZHP
03-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Congrats on finding the one! My first drive wasn't what I would call good. I was terrified on my first (solo) drive home. It was my third time ever driving stick (maybe 30-40 mins of training in total), the plates hadn't arrived (so I made the 3 mile Seattle trip home without any), and I stalled it twice on the way back. I was sweating bullets the whole way!

Avetiso
03-08-2014, 11:58 AM
:thumbsup

Vas
03-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Sounds great. Enjoy

JupiterBMW
03-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Awesome post and glad you enjoy it... For what it's worth, I park my car for 2-3 months at a time and when I come home, she fires right up every time. No battery tender either. These cars are awesome!!

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

slater
03-08-2014, 06:04 PM
thanks guys!

well, my FCABs were shot - RF was the worst. control arms are still good, but i have small cracks in both front brake lines. i hate anything to do with brake bleeding. i always use speedbleeders to lessen the annoyance... add those to the order list!

peter

ELCID86
03-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Link to speed bleeders?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

tkundhi
03-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Speed bleeders can leak. Just use a pressure bleeder and the proper flare nut wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slater
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Speed bleeders can leak. Just use a pressure bleeder and the proper flare nut wrench.

wait, proper flare nut wrench? ;)

i had them leak once - i was using 996 911 calipers and the taper on the speedbleeder just wasn't correct. i think it was an SB1010S - ended up getting the SB1010 and it worked fine.

never had much success with a pressure bleeder, but i've had audis for the past 10 years - they just don't seem to work on those. i would like to have success with one - if y'all are using them, which model? motive 0100?

peter

tkundhi
03-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Few tricks. First use a turkey baster and suck out as much old fluid out of the reservoir. Make sure the bleeder is higher that the brake fluid reservoir. Your don't need a lot of pressure 20 psi is plenty. Make sure there is enough fluid in the bleeder pressure. When you are done. Lower the pressure bleeder below the reservoir before releasing the pressure. Yes, I use a Motive.

IIRC the bleeder size is 6mm.

t.