PDA

View Full Version : What's realistic market for my vert?

princetonprep17
03-26-2014, 04:08 PM
I purchased my '05 ZHP vert about a month ago and honestly, the car just isn't for me. I purchased it mainly because I needed a daily driver and was tired of the rental car I was driving (I sold my e92 335i coupe to pick up a Porsche, but two sellers backed out of 2 separate deals for cars at the 11th hour so I just really needed a car), plus it's a great time of year in Florida for a drop top. I did an Autotrader search and the two similar mileage cars in my 500 mile radius are asking $21,900 ('06, leather, auto, nav, xenons, 64k miles) and $19,750 ('06, leather, auto, xenons, 50k miles). They're nice cars, but I have to imagine that's absolutely top of the market and really stretching it. I'm looking to see what a more realistic price would be.

Specs on my car:

2005 ZHP Convertible
67K miles
Black Sapphire Metallic
Natural Brown Leather
Black Cube Trim
Steptronic Auto Trans
Factory Navigation (2012 nav disc)
Heated Seats
Premium Package
Adaptive Xenons
Harman Kardon
Sirius Satellite Radio
BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth

Mods: Smoked side markers, 7500k fog lights (match color of xenons), LED license plate lights, DICE iPod connector and piano black kidney grilles

"Issues": (i) Approximately 3 door dings and one small ding on the ridge of the driver's side of the hood. Paintless dent guy said no problem getting all of them out, I just haven't had time to take it in to have it done. (ii) Driver's side seat is starting to separate at the side bolster. It's just got a few loose stitches. Upholstery shop said it could be repaired cheap as nothing is torn up or anything. Again, just haven't had the time to drop her off to have it done. (iii) Center console, cup holder and ash tray lid have some scuffs and scratches. Nothing very deep, but noticeable for the perfectionist. (iv) The leather steering wheel is starting to show signs of its age. The perforated leather on the left hand side is fairly worn down and the leather on the top of the wheel is also worn. Again, not very noticeable unless you're really looking for it.

Maintenance: Plugs and fuel filter replaced within the last week. Cooling system (minus water pump which is original, but showing no signs of an issue) and VANOS were sorted by BMW dealer in the last month or so. Power steering lines replaced and system flushed. Brake system flushed and fresh fluid put in (both by BMW dealer in last month or so). Tires are 80-90% all around. Probably closer to 90% as they look nearly brand new. Wheels are all in amazing shape with ZERO curb rash.

Detailing: Entire car has been clay barred, gone over with rubbing compound to remove fine scratches, sealed, glazed and waxed. The paint is slick as glass. All window glass is in near perfect shape (no window chips or cracks or anything like that) and has been rain-x'd (I've yet to use the windshield wipers). The top was cleaned thoroughly and then covered in 303 top protectant. The water just beads and rolls right off. Leather was cleaned thoroughly and then conditioned 4x so far. The leather is very soft and supple and you just slide right into the car. The top cover, door panels and dash also received this treatment so they look like brand new.

Overall the car is in fantastic shape for a 9 year old car. It does have a few flaws, but they're minor and could be addressed for relatively small money. So ZHP Mafia - what do you think the market is on a car like this? I will post pictures tomorrow when she gets her weekly detail from me.

NorCalZman
03-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Sounds well equipped. I would say you might be able to get around 16 for it at least.

if you want to fix the cup holder and console those are 30 and 60 dollars + the time it takes you to change it out (I just ordered them myself).

Do you have the west coast disc from the 2012 nav? If so, would you be willing to part with it?

princetonprep17
03-26-2014, 04:28 PM
I think the only option boxes that were not checked on this car were the park distance control and the run flat tires (thankfully - I hated them on my e92). I've contemplated just fixing the console and cup holder since they are cheap, as well as the dents and the seat, but wanted to see what the Mafia thought about it first.

Unfortunately I don't believe I have the west coast disc for the nav. I haven't gone through the documents pouch to see if it's somewhere in there though, so if I come across it I'll definitely let you know.

NorCalZman
03-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks. Fingers crossed you find it. Mine is from 2004 :-(

I think little things add up to more than their sum. Fixing the console and dents and seat stitching are all cheap and can help IMO. Let's see what the fellow mafia thinks

Most e46s don't have the PDC btw, and I don't know why. It was less than 500 option new and I love it on mine.

princetonprep17
03-26-2014, 04:40 PM
I had PDC on my e92 and it was seriously awesome. Other than the twin turbos, the PDC is what I miss the most about that car.

I will likely end up fixing all of those issues as it will set me back less than $500 all said. I think a fully sorted car will sell better than one that needs a few things (no matter how minor they might be).

dVeLoPe
03-27-2014, 08:56 AM
sold to me if serious check your pm

princetonprep17
03-27-2014, 09:11 AM
sold to me if serious check your pm

PM responded to, but I'm not 100% committed to selling the car right now as I don't yet have a replacement lined up. As I said in the PM, I'm looking to gauge realistic market value so I can figure out what I can afford replacement car wise.

That is, unless someone shows up offering me a deal I just can't refuse :biggrin:spit

princetonprep17
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Here are the pictures of her to help gauge what you guys think market might be. She's not perfect as you can see from the pictures, but I think she is in good shape for a 9 year old car.1307313074130751307613077

princetonprep17
03-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Part 21308013079130781308113082

princetonprep17
03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Part 31308313084130851308613087

Vas
03-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Car does look to be in great shape. But front M3 bumper?

NorCalZman
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
I believe that is an M3 bumper, not ZHP. That does not nessesarily indicate anything wrong but have you run a VIN check on it?

princetonprep17
03-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I believe that is an M3 bumper, not ZHP. That does not nessesarily indicate anything wrong but have you run a VIN check on it?

Really? What's different about it?

Yes, I had an Autocheck done before I purchased the car and it reported back as no accidents. I've been all over the car and don't see anything to indicate it was ever in an accident.

princetonprep17
03-27-2014, 03:25 PM
No front markers, I see it now. I totally missed that despite looking at the car every day for the last month.

NorCalZman
03-27-2014, 03:26 PM
ZHP bumper, though the two doors don't have the black trim. Maybe someone just wanted a m3 bumper on their ZHP vert, then.

princetonprep17
03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Man, can't believe I missed that. Good catch guys!

danewilson77
03-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Man, can't believe I missed that. Good catch guys!

That's what we do.

It's why we're here.

:happyspidey

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BRGcoopahS
03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Yea, wrong bumper. Hopefully it wasn't in an accident and someone mistook the mtech2 bumper for an m3 bumper.

Your car is in better shape than mine, it looks very good. Why don't you like it?

princetonprep17
03-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Yea, wrong bumper. Hopefully it wasn't in an accident and someone mistook the mtech2 bumper for an m3 bumper.

Your car is in better shape than mine, it looks very good. Why don't you like it?

I have the Autocheck on it so I'm nearly certain it wasn't an accident.

Honestly, it's the first car I've owned in like 10 years that had under 300 hp and the power just isn't there for me. It handles amazingly well for a convertible, but I'm just really missing the instant power I'm used to. I could go down the forced induction route, but for the money, and considering I really just purchased it to get out of a crappy rental car for cheap, I think I'm better off putting her up for sale and picking up something with the power level I'm used to.

NorCalZman
03-29-2014, 09:51 PM
I think that's a logical idea. Easier to buy a car with the power then roll the dice and FI this car.

princetonprep17
03-29-2014, 09:58 PM
I really figured since I have a 609 RWHP car in my garage for when I had the speed bug, that it wouldn't be a big deal to have the ZHP for a daily. But I just find myself missing that power element immensely on my daily drive (especially on the on-ramps!) and the ZHP just doesn't seem to get me there. That said, I'm extremely glad to have owned one as I have loved the E46's since I was in high school. It's just not the daily driver car I want right now.

Plus to FI a car with 67K miles and 9+ years old just scares me a little. I've gone down the FI route before (06 Mustang GT) and absolutely loved it, but I custom ordered that car from the factory and the car had 10K miles on it when I threw a supercharger on her. I knew what I was getting into because I knew how the car had been cared for. I don't necessarily know that with 100% certainty on my E46.