PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge again

Silber92
03-31-2014, 05:46 PM
I know I don't post much, but figured if anyone could appreciate this it would be y'all. Most of my friends/family look at me and wonder what's wrong with me...

So after a year and a half, I've come to the stark realization I haven't warmed up to my ZHP and it's steppy transmission. And, never will. In all honesty, the car is great, in perfect shape, equipped the way I would have bought it new (with one slight change), in one of my favorite color combos; but dang it, it's missing a pedal! For far too long I even hung onto my old '03 330CiC that this car was supposed to replace because I couldn't quite bear to give up shifting for myself.

Now, when I purchased the ZHP I was already driving a 325XiT with an Auto and it didn't bother me too much. Only ever put it in drive and went. I figured that with the vert, we'll learn to get along and I'll enjoy this clutchless shifting thing in no time. Maybe I'm too old school for my own good...

And that's why I'm flying to PA next week to pick up another '06 vert that Manheim Imports had available. It's in Sparkling Graphite with an Alcantara interior, and of course a six speed. It ran through a PPI at Apple BMW with flying colors, so I'm feeling as confident as one can from 914 miles away. The dealership didn't give the car away, but they've been upfront and we negotiated a price that was 'fair', whatever in the hell that means. I think I'm dealing with mainly cosmetic issues on the interior, but we shall see. Fingers crossed and all that.

My drive back will probably be a marathon run, but if there are any 'if you're driving by there anyway you must stop' items between north central PA and central MO along I-76 and I-70, I'd love to hear about them. I'm sure there are a bunch, but haven't done any homework yet.

Very excited about having a clutch again. And, if anyone is looking for a clean vert without one let me know. I think I might have a lead on a good one.

johnrando
03-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Congrats on the new ride. GLWS on your vert.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

slater
03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
congrats! sounds like you made a sound decision - despite what your family and friends might think (i think my family and friends might be related to yours, LOL).

peter

brettbimmer
03-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Congrats on the new ride. GLWS on your vert.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

+2! Have a good flight & drive home in the new car!

Avetiso
03-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Good luck!

ELCID86
04-01-2014, 05:42 AM
Beautiful combo. Can't wait to see it. GL.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Silber92
04-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys! I am really stoked about the purchase and will definitely post pics of both cars once I get back home. Haven't had time to do any spring cleaning on the white vert and it shows it.

3ZHPGUY
04-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Nice find and safe travels. I feel you pain with the auto, my wife has an 06 vert steptronic with the sport package and not the ZHP and it's unbelievable the significant difference in the two cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodoo
04-09-2014, 04:53 PM
the heart wants what it wants. be safe and enjoy the drive

NorCalZman
04-09-2014, 05:18 PM
the heart wants what it wants.

Wise man right here. Very true.

I am right there with you man. I had an automatic 5 series and it was fine. Its what made me fall for BMWs. But. it. wasn't. a. manual. I was dying for one after awhile, and am very happy that I am back in a manual, and a ZHP no less! You won't regret it.

Silber92
04-15-2014, 04:17 AM
Well, managed to get myself and the new ride home safely and with no issues! Arrived in PA noonish Thursday, sun shining and 70 degrees even. Back at the dealership, gave the car a thorough once over and it looked fairly good. A few more minor cosmetic issues than what the dealer had disclosed, (of course in my minds eye I was going to arrive to find a brand new car with nary a scuff or chip...) but he offered to adjust the price by $750 to allow for this, which definitely worked for me. Peake reader only showed a few codes, all for misfires. But the car drove great and pulled strong through all gears so I didn't figure it was anything too serious.

Long story short, very uneventful drive in a great car. Biggest hassle I had was having to stop and put air in two tires about halfway through. Not too shabby. Managed to get 29.8 mpg at a steady 80 along the way even.

Back home I still haven't found any nasty surprises. Two working keys, all books, nearly new Yoko Avids on rash free rims, a new BMW battery and even the air and cabin filter are OEM and look fairly fresh. I'll take those as good signs, at least until I can get it up in the air and get the tires off to do a thorough inspection below.

And I was right, being able to shift for myself is a treat. Back to back it does feel like a totally different beast than my steppy car. The interior is awesome, and I don't know why BMW doesn't offer this on more cars. The seats really do grip you in place, and I'm sure they'll be a lot cooler than leather this summer.

Pics are coming once the car is detailed.

I'm very stoked!

danewilson77
04-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Great news!

ELCID86
04-15-2014, 07:26 AM
+1

Silber92
07-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Took a little longer than I anticipated, but here are a couple of pics of the 'new' ride. Since I've had it home, I basically yanked the entire interior out to detail and clean everything. Car was owned by a smoker at some point, so lots of ash and some lingering odor. Not to mention a couple of burn spots here and there. As a former smoker, no issues with somebody enjoying a cig, but not in the freaking car!!! Argh. While in there, I painted most of the cube trim to get rid of any wear marks, installed some BSW speakers, and a hardtop install kit. A new shift knob rounded out the interior rehab for now; Alcantara repair is sometime down the road.

I've also done a wee bit of preventative maintenance. Replaced: Cooling System, Belts, Pulleys, Hoses, VGC, Installed Beisan Rings and Rattle Kit, Plugs, GAS Disa Gold Kit, CCV, OFHG. Think I'm out of acronyms...

Since I already had the engine bay in pieces, I figured what the hell. Pulled the front bumper to adjust it, which resulted in repainting the lower grille, replacing the fog light bezels, plus fabricating a missing bumper mounting point. Thanks to Dario's generosity, he supplied me with a bumper adjusting 'collar' since mine was seized in place, so managed to get everything dialed in and put back together. I've left my headlight squirters off for now, as I don't want to have to remove the bezels again with those in place. PITA, for sure. At some point I want to eliminate the washers completely, but not right now.

So, that leaves the remaining Inspection items/fluids to be done, not to mention installing the Perf. strut bar and exhaust.

But, for right now, mainly just plan on driving it and enjoying having six gears to row through. Summer has been unusually nice around here (high today of 80, which is NOT normal for these parts), so it's top down cruising time.

As always, thanks go out to the members who have taken time to post insights and tips on these cars, they certainly have made my life a whole lot easier.

danewilson77
07-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Congrats. Welcome back.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

rguti153
07-30-2014, 12:01 PM
*windshield washer reservoir in in the corner not in the usual place , mmmmmmm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-30-2014, 12:12 PM
*windshield washer reservoir in in the corner not in the usual place , mmmmmmm

It's deleted.

It's a mod :shifty

The friendliest forum on the planet!

rguti153
07-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Lol [emoji6]

Avetiso
07-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Wow, that's gorgeous.

WOLFN8TR
07-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW

:like

Silber92
07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah, probably need to get the W/S reservoir reinstalled. Definitely needed the room to get the headlights bolted back in place though.

And have to agree, SGM is an awesome color, especially in direct sunlight.

Thanks!

johnrando
07-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Good stuff. I hear coffee grounds (I think in burlap sacks?) In a hot closed car for a few days gets rid of that smell. Never tried it.