PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnose my issue (long)

ZHPESQ
04-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I know this is a long shot but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has an idea.
So far two BMW techs have been unable to diagnose my significant loss of power issue. I am at about 25% power and the car literally shut off on the highway at 75 mph.

I had used cats installed which for awhile seemed to help but I am right back to square one.

When you accelerate the car simply doesn't respond and you hear a womp, womp sound like the car is bogging down (only way to explain).

So far we have checked the MAF, the DISA, the vanos seals, the reluctor wheel, cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, PCV, timing chain, etc.

It is throwing no appreciable codes of any sort.

Tomorrow he intends to do a compression/leak test.

What are we missing??

Hornung418
04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Spark and fuel. Just because its not throwing codes doesnt mean it hasn't failed. Inspect your fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs and ignition coils. It could be a sticky injector...but thats a long shot. Good luck with the repairs.

Sent from my GS3.

stephenkirsh
04-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Yea sounds like fuel delivery could be on the list. Check those out.

How old are the pump/filter/plugs?

KevinC
04-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Mileage? Fuel filter perhaps?

ZHPESQ
04-15-2014, 02:22 AM
Just did fuel pump, fuel filter and plugs in the fall.
miles are 205,000

Maybe a defective fuel pump??

Newjack
04-15-2014, 05:30 AM
Just did fuel pump, fuel filter and plugs in the fall.
miles are 205,000

Maybe a defective fuel pump??

That could happen but is highly unlikely.

How many miles are on the cats you currently have installed? Clogged cats would definitely cause a lack of power. What about pre cat O2 sensors? Kinda grasping at straws here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
04-15-2014, 09:31 AM
What is a reluctor wheel? How did your mechanics check the camshaft sensors (2) and crankshaft sensor?

ZHPESQ
04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
reluctor wheel is supposed to be somehwere near or connected to the timing gear. At least so I am told (never heard of it before either). Not sure how he checked the sensors but claims they are okay as is now compression test, fuel pump and DME relay.

Really running out of ideas here. I have three BMW certified techs (one with the car, one who hasnt seen it) and a third who replaces my cats without the abiltity to figure this out. Been without the car for 9 days now and I ahve had it!.