PDA

View Full Version : DSC/Brake Light

Pip
04-15-2014, 12:26 PM
I have a riddle for you guys. I was driving to the post office and a beep followed by yellow dsc/brake lights happened. Car felt fine had no stutters or anything that suggests engine trouble. I stopped at the post office and came back out to start the car and no lights so a key cycle seemed to clear it, but it came back about 30 seconds later and then the car stalled. Car started right back up with smooth idle and drove fine.

It seems electrical and this is the first battery, but I checked the voltage is 12.4-.8 and the voltage while running was ~13.8V. At startup the voltage was a little all over (6-12), but settled at ~13.8 after about 8-10 seconds.

No codes. Car idles great and drives fine. Battery seems to check out. I've put about 70 miles on the car since the vanos fix without issue.

328ioc
04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
I believe Yellow DSC/Brake = wheel speed sensor.....

But since yours is going on an off maybe it could be a bad connection associated with the sensor?

Another item to check given the erratic voltage at tick over could maybe be the Voltage regulator or alternator issue?

This is why I hate electronics.....so many possibilities.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

trancenation
04-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Something similarly happened to our E46 M3 in which the DSC/brake light was yellow. I first cleaned all 4 wheel speed sensors and the lights were still there. Fortunately, after scanning the car, it was determined to be one of the brake pressure sensors that was bad. Replaced the faulty one and now the lights are gone.

See my thread for any help.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11336-E46-M3-DSC-amp-Brake-Light-Illuminated-Yellow

Pip
04-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks. I'll pull the codes when I get home with the laptop.

BCS_ZHP
04-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Hope it's not but had similar happen last summer, here's what it turned out to be:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10464-DSC-Light

Pip
04-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Trying to get bmw scanner reinstalled on win7 32bit is annoying as...

LivesNearCostco
04-15-2014, 06:00 PM
I had similar symptoms and fixed it by cleaning all 4 wheel speed sensors. Quick spray clean of sensors by my mechanic while on a lift fixed it for a few months, then when it came back I removed each sensor and cleaned it carefully. Problem hasn't returned for a few years. However, as noted, it could also be brake pressure sensor, steering wheel angle sensor, or a failed DSC module. I did not have BMW code reading capability.

aurelius
07-29-2014, 08:34 AM
I had similar symptoms and fixed it by cleaning all 4 wheel speed sensors. Quick spray clean of sensors by my mechanic while on a lift fixed it for a few months, then when it came back I removed each sensor and cleaned it carefully.

Did you shoot any pics of what to remove, where to clean, etc.?

EDIT: never mind, found a video of what to remove and clean. Note: the guy who shot the video used window cleaner on his speed sensors. Not sure if that would be the right cleaning product to use but given where those sensors are located and what they are exposed to, presumably they are sturdy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjjWqM_F9o

danewilson77
11-28-2014, 11:42 AM
I had similar symptoms and fixed it by cleaning all 4 wheel speed sensors. Quick spray clean of sensors by my mechanic while on a lift fixed it for a few months, then when it came back I removed each sensor and cleaned it carefully. Problem hasn't returned for a few years. However, as noted, it could also be brake pressure sensor, steering wheel angle sensor, or a failed DSC module. I did not have BMW code reading capability.
Still fixed?

"No flamesuit required"