PDA

View Full Version : 60k mile service/Inspection II Inquiry + (window regulator bonus inquiry)

NoVAphotog
04-17-2014, 01:00 PM
So, my car is sitting around 59,300 miles and I can't help but have Inspection II on my mind. That said, while completing the front brake kit install/bleeding with BCS_ZHP (which was an awesome time, and for which I give another big thank you!), he took a good look over the car and we both pretty much felt that it was in very good condition.

Bruce recommended a local shop where I should get the fluids changed at the very least. I called them and first asked for a quote on a full Inspection II: $550. Asked about replacing the spark plugs as well: +$220.

Now. After reading a lot of the Inspection DIY's posted here and elsewhere it seems a lot of it is very straightforward (e.g. replacing the filters) and the rest is just looking things over. I want to learn more of my car, I did not buy it just to drop it off and stand around lollygagging. That said.

My question is:

Pay more for the full professional overview/inspection II now VS. the bavauto youtube videos of what to look out for, tools to do my own work, less for the parts themselves, etc. and save the full overview for down the line when a second professional opinion on something I think is starting to wear down is necessary (75/90k).

Thoughts? Am I overthinking the mileage/timing of the inspection?

Bonus inquiry:

When I "roll" my driver's side window down, it clicks and moves a bit and is sometimes slow to come up, I'm assuming this is the regulator starting to go. How difficult is that replacement for a "first-timer" such as myself or is it worth having the shop do?

gmurphy
04-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Do the things you are most comfortable with doing then take it in for a "free safety inspection" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
04-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Honestly if you are DIY person and want to learn more about your zhp, I would start reading up and learn as much as you can. Then proceed with the items that you are comfortable with doing and have the tools that are needed to get the job done.

Stuff like filters (intake, cabin,fuel) are easy to do. Spark plugs are not hard to replace as well as the valve cover. If you are not comfortable with fluid changes (oil,trans,diff) you can have a shop do them but they are not hard to do as well.

Stuff that falls into Inspection 2 is below. Some stuff is carried over from Inspection 1 as well. Majority of it is just looking over stuff to make sure there are no leaks,tears,rips, etc...

Undercarriage

Change engine oil and Oil Filter, check engine at is at normal operation temperature.
Check transmission for leaks.
Check rear axle for leaks.
Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
Check power steering system for leaks.
Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads.
Examine brake disc surfaces.
Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
Grease wheel center hubs.
Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
Check front control arm bushing for wear.
Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
Check condition of tires (outer surfaces (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.
Check thickness of parking brake linings.
Half-shafts; check for leaks at flexible boots.
Inspect entire body according to terms of rust prevention limited warranty.

Engine Compartment

Read out diagnostic system with BMW scanners.
Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
Check air conditioner for operation.
Reset Service Indicator.
Replace spark plugs.
Replace intake air cleaner element (Air Filter).

Body/Electrical Equipment

Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
Perform batter load test.
Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, foglights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
Check condition and function of safety belts.
Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
Check central locking/double lock.
Replace microfilter or Acc Cabin Filter.
Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
Check rear view mirrors
Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.

Final Inspection

Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission

danewilson77
04-17-2014, 01:38 PM
DIY it all and your window regulator is failing.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

NorCalZman
04-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Wow so inspection II doesnt include a full fluid flush (coolant, brake, PS, etc)? Surprised. ...or does "check" mean replace?

QC_ZHP
04-17-2014, 01:50 PM
^ Listen to the Boss

ELCID86
04-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Not sure what's in Inspection 2 (and too lazy to look) but happy to help if it's just fluids, filters, plugs, etc. and sorry I missed the brake job tutorial. This (Easter) weekend isn't good but I'm sure we can find one.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

ELCID86
04-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Guess I wouldn't mind helping with the regulator either as I think Colin's is going out--slow sometimes.

Pip
04-17-2014, 04:15 PM
DIY with another enthusiast and just have a blast leaning the car. One of the harder fluid changes is the coolant because it gets everywhere, but I wouldn't call it hard. I'm still working on my inspection ii. I've done ~75% over the past few weeks and will finish up the fluids in the coming weeks so not everything needs to be done in one go.

SoDelBMW
04-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Mine just broke 60K and I was about to ask the same questions I'm definetly going to try to do most of the stuff in my own. I'm pretty excited to actually get to know more indepth about the car!

BCS_ZHP
04-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Daniel,
Sorry to hear that you received such a high estimate. Suspect you got the receptionist for the estimate and all she does is look at the labor estimate computer-based program & recite what it says. That would have you paying for fluid changes individually, I think it has the minimum labor at one hour ($100/hr), compound it for engine, tranny, & diff, estimate was way too high. I normally stop by or call later at night when the owner David Green is there. Here's an idea, go by and meet him on Saturday, he's open 10-3. I know he'll be there, talk with him and he'll work out a better package deal for you. Changing fluids on your back is doable but IMO, it's a PITA. If you want to bring your own parts/oils, he doesn't mind. If you want him to supply it, he's a LubriMoly fan, the best & most expensive lubricants out there so you'll pay for it. David has a scotch & cigars get together event on Sat night starting a 6 PM, recall I told you he's a Porsche guy, should be lots of nice cars there, I may stop by at some point. Suspect if you go talk to him that day, he'll invite you for the evening festivities.

On the Inspection II list above with all the checks, we hit many of those last weekend. On just checking fluid levels, that doesn't jive with BMW guru Mike Miller's old school maintenance schedule. Mike recommends changing engine, tranny, diff, coolant, brake (already done), & power steering fluids at 60K, I follow his recommended schedule. You said you needed a VCG, that's an easy DIY and when you do it the spark plugs are right there so might as well change them. Mike Miller recommends new spark plugs every 60K too.
Bruce

ELCID86
04-17-2014, 06:16 PM
If you need a VCG, consider doing the Vanos. I did mine and it wasn't too bad. Happy to assist.

NoVAphotog
04-17-2014, 06:38 PM
DIY with another enthusiast and just have a blast leaning the car. One of the harder fluid changes is the coolant because it gets everywhere, but I wouldn't call it hard. I'm still working on my inspection ii. I've done ~75% over the past few weeks and will finish up the fluids in the coming weeks so not everything needs to be done in one go.

Yeah, that is another good thing about DIY, spread things out, take your time, etc. Obviously, those aspects only really apply to these more basic tasks.

NoVAphotog
04-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Mine just broke 60K and I was about to ask the same questions I'm definetly going to try to do most of the stuff in my own. I'm pretty excited to actually get to know more indepth about the car!

That's why I wrote it out and why I like this forum! Helpin' others is :rockon

NoVAphotog
04-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Daniel,
Sorry to hear that you received such a high estimate. Suspect you got the receptionist for the estimate and all she does is look at the labor estimate computer-based program & recite what it says. That would have you paying for fluid changes individually, I think it has the minimum labor at one hour ($100/hr), compound it for engine, tranny, & diff, estimate was way too high. I normally stop by or call later at night when the owner David Green is there. Here's an idea, go by and meet him on Saturday, he's open 10-3. I know he'll be there, talk with him and he'll work out a better package deal for you. Changing fluids on your back is doable but IMO, it's a PITA. If you want to bring your own parts/oils, he doesn't mind. If you want him to supply it, he's a LubriMoly fan, the best & most expensive lubricants out there so you'll pay for it. David has a scotch & cigars get together event on Sat night starting a 6 PM, recall I told you he's a Porsche guy, should be lots of nice cars there, I may stop by at some point. Suspect if you go talk to him that day, he'll invite you for the evening festivities.

On the Inspection II list above with all the checks, we hit many of those last weekend. On just checking fluid levels, that doesn't jive with BMW guru Mike Miller's old school maintenance schedule. Mike recommends changing engine, tranny, diff, coolant, brake (already done), & power steering fluids at 60K, I follow his recommended schedule. You said you needed a VCG, that's an easy DIY and when you do it the spark plugs are right there so might as well change them. Mike Miller recommends new spark plugs every 60K too.
Bruce

Bruce, I spoke with Johnny(?) over the phone and he gave me the estimate, I had asked for David, but no avail. That said, depending on what the schedule looks like family wise on Saturday I would like to meet him in person and discuss the car as you recommend. If not this Saturday than another one soon or call during the week and be more direct about who I want to speak to. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and gather parts up as I don't really have a strong desire to use Liqui-Moli. Thank you for the Mike Miller reference, I found the PDF write up and I like the practical advice he has laid out within it.

NoVAphotog
04-17-2014, 07:25 PM
If you need a VCG, consider doing the Vanos. I did mine and it wasn't too bad. Happy to assist.

Sounds good, I'll keep you posted on my schedule as well as when the parts/fluids arrive or are assembled and we can plan things out. What I'll probably end up doing is spreading things out like Pip did so we will not necessarily have to do everything when we find time to get together.

quikryptonite
04-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Spark plugs and coils are really easy. If you can turn a 10mm socket, you can change your own. I just did my own this past weekend. It took me just over an hour. Great resource here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN618su1psU

Save your $220 for something fun.

NoVAphotog
04-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Spark plugs and coils are really easy. If you can turn a 10mm socket, you can change your own. I just did my own this past weekend. It took me just over an hour. Great resource here:

Save your $220 for something fun.

I...I...I don't know man...turning a socket!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY#t=13

But yes, that $220 can go toward some new shoes for her among other things...

wsmeyer
04-18-2014, 10:18 AM
If you're interested in doing your own repairs and maintenance I would HIGHLY recommend investing in a Bentley manual:

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Series-E46-Service-Manual/dp/0837616573/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397844910&sr=8-1&keywords=bentley+e46

YouTube videos and the internet are great resources but they aren't the same as a repair manual written by professionals.

NoVAphotog
04-18-2014, 10:29 AM
If you're interested in doing your own repairs and maintenance I would HIGHLY recommend investing in a Bentley manual:

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Series-E46-Service-Manual/dp/0837616573/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397844910&sr=8-1&keywords=bentley+e46

YouTube videos and the internet are great resources but they aren't the same as a repair manual written by professionals.

One step ahead of you...had some rewards points to cash in. Got it new for $54.