PDA

View Full Version : 228i THP

bmshen
04-18-2014, 11:24 PM
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2014/04/17/hands-on-with-the-bmw-228i-track-handling-package/

The ZHP's little brother?

Oli77
04-19-2014, 04:34 AM
That's what the author of the article seems to say. Wonder how much more the package will be, but in term of advertising tactic and impact the 't' is weaker than the 'Z'.

mbeckel
04-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Nice find. The THP looks very beautiful, but the article makes it seem like the zhp is superior still

Sent from in the bushes

MiniD
04-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Can you get the THP package with the M-Sport package?

JupiterBMW
04-19-2014, 07:35 AM
The thing that bugs me about this is that the zhp sedan gets no love here. I want to see the 2 series GC. Mark my words, if there is an ///M2 GC, it will replace my ZHP.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

NorCalZman
04-19-2014, 07:59 AM
The thing that bugs me about this is that the zhp sedan gets no love here. I want to see the 2 series GC. Mark my words, if there is an ///M2 GC, it will replace my ZHP.

I think part of the reason for that is the 3 series sedan is such a cash cow for BMW. They'll have to come around eventually. Maybe not this generation though :-(

I totally agree with you though. If they released a GC version of the 2 i would be all over it.

JupiterBMW
04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
I would agree, but then why a 4 GC.....?

Stewbie
04-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Okay, I'll bite. What's a GC?

JupiterBMW
04-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Gran Coupe, it's a 4 door version of BMWs 2 door models. A 4 series GC is a hatchback like 4-door version of the 4 series coupe, unlike the 3 series, a true sedan.

stephenkirsh
04-19-2014, 02:43 PM
I would agree, but then why a 4 GC.....?

Why not? There's a 4 series GC and a 6 series GC. 2 series GC makes sense.

BavarianZHP
04-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Sadly, I think it was confirmed not too long ago there are no plans for a 2 series GC or 4-dr 2 series sedan. However, there are confirmed plans for an M2. I couldn't live without the 4 doors though.

johnrando
04-19-2014, 03:16 PM

Why do you say that Joop? They just say how the ZHP is a great car, they don't say coupe or sedan that I see.

JupiterBMW
04-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Why not? There's a 4 series GC and a 6 series GC. 2 series GC makes sense.
I think my response was misread. I was saying I would agree regarding the 3 being the cash cow and therefore no reason for a 2GC, but then why would they make the 4GC if they already had a 4 door cash cow. So I feel since there is the 4GC, there should be a 2GC as well...

Sadly, I think it was confirmed not too long ago there are no plans for a 2 series GC or 4-dr 2 series sedan. However, there are confirmed plans for an M2. I couldn't live without the 4 doors though.
Agreed, need the 4 door. If no 2 GC, then M3 it'll have to be.

Why do you say that Joop? They just say how the ZHP is a great car, they don't say coupe or sedan that I see.
Agreed but the two door 2 series will correlate to the coupe ZHP. The only hope us sedan owners have is the fact that the most common ZHP marketing pic is the one of the Imola sedan... I was semi kidding by my comment though Rando... :biggrin

stephenkirsh
04-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Well, as the Audi A3 sedan and merc CLA start killing sales, bmw will have to answer with a 4 door in the 1/2 series range.

gmurphy
04-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Well, as the Audi A3 sedan and merc CLA start killing sales, bmw will have to answer with a 4 door in the 1/2 series range.

I wish they would just downsize their entire range. Everything is too big now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sockethead
04-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Yea why does every new generation have to bigger that the previous. The 2 series is already bigger than the e46

stephenkirsh
04-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Because most people want a bigger car. They sit in an e46 and an e90 and same price, same features, most people want the e90 because it's bigger.

My mom thinks an e46 is a "tin can" because it's small. My girlfriend thinks my car is tiny.

That's why I was really excited for the A3 sedan, CLA and hopefully a 2 series sedan. BMW has been selling the 1 series 4 door in Europe since day 1.

gmurphy
04-19-2014, 08:08 PM
I think the E46 is huge! Ok no I don't but I think it can seat 4 comfortably. (Sedan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornung418
04-20-2014, 07:02 AM
This is pretty neat!

Sent from my GS3.

johnrando
04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
To me, the E46 is a big car. I really like 2 seater verts (as in my Triumph). For a big 4 seater vert, it's awesome! :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

BCS_ZHP
04-21-2014, 07:23 PM
To me, the E46 is a big car. I really like 2 seater verts (as in my Triumph). For a big 4 seater vert, it's awesome! :)

JR, my '65 Wildcat vert was a "big" 4-seater, with room for a couple more bodies, err bags of clubs, golf that is, in the trunk.

stephenkirsh
04-21-2014, 07:27 PM

What do you have? TR6?

JupiterBMW
04-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Honestly, the E46 is a small car. The cars will continue to get bigger as they expand the lineup (they're creating smaller models to compensate and please folks like us) and also so the smaller cars feel more luxurious. The fact that you can get a car the size of a 5 series, but its a less expensive 3 series, appeals to many now, especially as the brand gets more popular... What I'm saying is that by increasing the size, they can sell the "cheaper" car and people still feel that its just as luxurious... What the masses don't understand is that a loaded E46 sedan (ZHP) was about $46k new... A starting 3 series now will be around $35k, a simple build will push you into the high $40K range, and if you want, you can build a 3 series to almost $60k... Its all marketing, and smart marketing at that..

Let's all just be glad they still have small cars with ZHP-ish characteristics... If they come out with a 2 GC (and there's no reason they won't), then I see it as a natural successor for the ZHP (sedan anyway)...

Personally, I welcome the new models and their brand strategy... Well, except maybe the 2 series active tourer... :facepalm

stephenkirsh
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
What the masses don't understand is that a loaded E46 sedan (ZHP) was about $46k new... A starting 3 series now will be around $35k, a simple build will push you into the high $40K range, and if you want, you can build a 3 series to almost $60k... Its all marketing, and smart marketing at that..

I disagree. While some of it is good brand development, ALL cars are becoming more expensive because of federal crash an fuel regulations. Yes it's marketing pushing a 3 series to $60k, but the under lying costs keep going up. An example is the ford f150. It's almost all aluminum now simply to save weight and reach fuel economy requirements.

On the safety side, we'll soon need back up cameras in all vehicles by law. I think it was estimated that would add $500 to the price of all cars.

Do little things like that for 10-15 years and now the average cost of ALL cars sold in the USA is around $33,000, or $1,000 more than what my dad paid for the 2004 325 I had for three years.

johnrando
04-21-2014, 08:23 PM
What do you have? TR6?

A TR8

Honestly, the E46 is a small car. The cars will continue to get bigger as they expand the lineup (they're creating smaller models to compensate and please folks like us) and also so the smaller cars feel more luxurious. The fact that you can get a car the size of a 5 series, but its a less expensive 3 series, appeals to many now, especially as the brand gets more popular... What I'm saying is that by increasing the size, they can sell the "cheaper" car and people still feel that its just as luxurious... What the masses don't understand is that a loaded E46 sedan (ZHP) was about $46k new... A starting 3 series now will be around $35k, a simple build will push you into the high $40K range, and if you want, you can build a 3 series to almost $60k... Its all marketing, and smart marketing at that..

Let's all just be glad they still have small cars with ZHP-ish characteristics... If they come out with a 2 GC (and there's no reason they won't), then I see it as a natural successor for the ZHP (sedan anyway)...

Personally, I welcome the new models and their brand strategy... Well, except maybe the 2 series active tourer... :facepalm

Yup, by today's standards it is. People are just bigger nowadays. AFA the price, yup. Mine was over $50K new, which is why I bought it CPO. :)

JR, my '65 Wildcat vert was a "big" 4-seater, with room for a couple more bodies, err bags of clubs, golf that is, in the trunk.

Sweet!

JupiterBMW
04-21-2014, 08:34 PM
I disagree. While some of it is good brand development, ALL cars are becoming more expensive because of federal crash an fuel regulations. Yes it's marketing pushing a 3 series to $60k, but the under lying costs keep going up. An example is the ford f150. It's almost all aluminum now simply to save weight and reach fuel economy requirements.

On the safety side, we'll soon need back up cameras in all vehicles by law. I think it was estimated that would add $500 to the price of all cars.

Do little things like that for 10-15 years and now the average cost of ALL cars sold in the USA is around $33,000, or $1,000 more than what my dad paid for the 2004 325 I had for three years.

Yes, that is true, but at the same time, buying a luxury brand shouldn't involve having to add basic amenities (everything that comes in BMWs premium package)... Safety and emissions regulations do make cars more expensive, but manufacturing technology and advances in processes should be making production costs go down.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm very interested in seeing the THP on the new 228i. I will be test driving this car when I get home.

stephenkirsh
04-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Report back! I think were all interested.

John: oooo the wedge!