PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

Fat-Ham
04-21-2014, 06:26 AM
Just curious as to why there are almost no turbo kits available for our cars.. I've seen the technique tuning kit which is quite expensive and also a turbonetics kit that looks too cheap. What's the deal here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoVAphotog
04-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Why turbo when you could super?

QC_ZHP
04-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Why turbo when you could super?

Turbo>super in most cases.

The real reason is there's not enough demand and M54's are a b*tch to tune honestly. It's not a bad platform if you're looking for mid 3XXwhp, but dropping $8k is alot for sub 400whp.

May as well look into an S54 swap at that price range.

stephenkirsh
04-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Yea I think there's just a lot better options out there for turboing than the m5# engines.

My coworker is looking to turbo a mustang 5.0 and drop it into an e36, as an example.

Johal E32
04-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Chevy LS motor and a T56 6 speed.

A shop in CA did a LS7 swap into a E46 M3..

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=456576

az3579
04-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Chevy LS motor and a T56 6 speed.

A shop in CA did a LS7 swap into a E46 M3..

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=456576

I can't even begin to fathom how much a swap like that would cost from a shop. You'd probably have 2-3 times what the car's worth into the project.

mbeckel
04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
I can't even begin to fathom how much a swap like that would cost from a shop. You'd probably have 2-3 times what the car's worth into the project.

That kind of swap almost has to be a DIY with someone who knows fabrication very well

Sent from in the bushes

Fat-Ham
04-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Yeah I wasn't leaning towards turbo at all. Just curious as to why they weren't very common. As for s/c, what's your favorite kits? Personally I like the ESS twin screw but from what I've seen the vf engineering looks to be the best bang for your buck. I could be wrong though. What's your thoughts?

QC_ZHP
04-21-2014, 12:11 PM
2 different style superchargers. ESS is a great system and will provide a major increase in low end. VF is somewhat of a budget kit, meaning its potential is quickly reached. It does not include an intercooler and I believe it is meant for very low boost (~6psi) with no real upgradable options. Both kits have had good feedback from what I've seen. ESS is the way to go if you're after the roots style blower, I'd look into Active Autowerke if I were considering a centrifugal setup. (pricey though, but used kits pop up frequently).

Fat-Ham
04-21-2014, 05:05 PM
If anyone has a used kit or sees one, let me know! I'm certainly interested. I'll just tell the wife it's preventative maintenance :)

mbeckel
04-21-2014, 05:07 PM
If anyone has a used kit or sees one, let me know! I'm certainly interested. I'll just tell the wife it's preventative maintenance :)

I can't pull that off with my wife, she is turning into a car girl

Sent from in the bushes

Fat-Ham
04-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Jeeze I wish mine was! I keep trying to get her to go to the track and meets... No bueno

Newjack
04-21-2014, 06:35 PM

Au2bahn had an ESS twin screw on his zhp before he sold it. Stuart also has a supercharger on his wagon which I believe is an ESS twinscrew.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

JupiterBMW
04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
The ESS kit is amazing, in looks, quality, and drivability. As for turbo vs. supercharging, there are pros and cons to both. Turbos generate a lot of heat and add a fair amount of extra piping (tough to do in a tight engine bay and adds weight). Superchargers have to be belt driven which means the mounting style/location is more restricted and they rob power in having to turn the blower with a belt drive.

Personally, when I have the money, the ESS Stg 2+ kit will be the way to go for me.

az3579
04-24-2014, 02:40 PM
I can't pull that off with my wife, she is turning into a car girl

Sent from in the bushes

That means it'll be even easier to get parts!

mbeckel
04-24-2014, 02:46 PM
That means it'll be even easier to get parts!

Has been so far, she said to me "as long as I don't leave us broke"

Sent from in the bushes

Fat-Ham
04-25-2014, 05:53 AM
That's why I have a seperate savings account with another bank strictly for car parts :) after this next deployment, supercharger should be an easy buy

MsRN
05-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I have an ESS TS2 in my '04 coupe. It may not take a 'Vette, but I dropped a 335i one day. And it's super-fun to pass 3 cars, then coast for a mile to get down to legal speeds. ;)

LivesNearCostco
05-04-2014, 09:59 PM
It is... it prevents you from needing to buy another car!

johnrando
05-05-2014, 12:19 AM
I have an ESS TS2 in my '04 coupe. It may not take a 'Vette, but I dropped a 335i one day. And it's super-fun to pass 3 cars, then coast for a mile to get down to legal speeds. ;)

Sweet.

QC_ZHP
05-05-2014, 07:45 AM
It is... it prevents you from needing to buy another car!

:rofl