PDA

View Full Version : Very tempting

ZHPESQ
04-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Do others see this as a potentially great deal (if it passes a full PPI)?

I am very tempted even though I wasnt looking for a vert.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/4443147900.html

Torxuvin
04-28-2014, 09:47 AM
It's a decent price, but not a deal IMO. Verts generally are cheaper and the color isn't rare at all. Wait and get what you really want.

johnrando
04-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Actually, verts are usually more expensive (I guess unless you live in cold?)

az3579
04-28-2014, 09:59 AM
That one is an excellent shape. I don't think the price is unreasonable at all considering its mileage and condition. Do some more research on what M3's are selling for in similar condition and mileage to get a good idea whether that price is worth it.

Cam,
Realistically, color and options don't have much of an effect on a car that is that old on the used car market. There are far too many variables that affect that price in that regard such as condition and maintenance. For example, you could have an individual Estoril M3 like Trevor bought, but that doesn't make it any more valuable than a regular silver or standard black M3 if it's not as well maintained. Ultimately, the car is worth what someone will pay for it, and cars can't command premiums on color or options just because it has them; it can only command that premium if people are willing to pay it to get it.
The only reason cars with certain colors and/or options run for more money is purely because those cars are typically appreciated more by their owners and are kept in better shape, which is ultimately the reason for higher value.

Torxuvin
04-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Actually, verts are usually more expensive (I guess unless you live in cold?)

I have consistently seen e46 M3 coupes take a premium over verts for 5 years. I know it's unusual for most cars but that's just my experience with the M3s. Maybe Cali is different. Heaven forbid you have an SMG TiAG vert with grey interior...

That one is an excellent shape. I don't think the price is unreasonable at all considering its mileage and condition. Do some more research on what M3's are selling for in similar condition and mileage to get a good idea whether that price is worth it.

Cam,
Realistically, color and options don't have much of an effect on a car that is that old on the used car market. There are far too many variables that affect that price in that regard such as condition and maintenance. For example, you could have an individual Estoril M3 like Trevor bought, but that doesn't make it any more valuable than a regular silver or standard black M3 if it's not as well maintained. Ultimately, the car is worth what someone will pay for it, and cars can't command premiums on color or options just because it has them; it can only command that premium if people are willing to pay it to get it.
The only reason cars with certain colors and/or options run for more money is purely because those cars are typically appreciated more by their owners and are kept in better shape, which is ultimately the reason for higher value.

Have you checked the price of AW or LSB M3s in the last few years? I agree that it shouldn't, but enthusiast cars tend to not follow regular trends.

BTW I do agree that the price is reasonable. Just not a "deal". It does look clean and well taken care of though from the pictures.

stephenkirsh
04-28-2014, 12:48 PM
I have consistently seen e46 M3 coupes take a premium over verts for 5 years. I know it's unusual for most cars but that's just my experience with the M3s. Maybe Cali is different. Heaven forbid you have an SMG TiAG vert with grey interior...

Have you checked the price of AW or LSB M3s in the last few years? I agree that it shouldn't, but enthusiast cars tend to not follow regular trends.

BTW I do agree that the price is reasonable. Just not a "deal". It does look clean and well taken care of though from the pictures.

I would bet the coupe premium on the M3 is driven by enthusiasts. Verts are heavier and softer, not what most enthusiasts want. Although there are many exceptions.

illirep
04-28-2014, 05:41 PM
I think the Zhp verts carry a premium, but certainly the opposite for m3s

gmurphy
04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
I think the Zhp verts carry a premium, but certainly the opposite for m3s

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
04-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Yup, I could see that. Personally, that's good news for me as I'd LOVE an M3 Vert!

gmurphy
04-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Yup, I could see that. Personally, that's good news for me as I'd LOVE an M3 Vert!

It is defiantly a looker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torxuvin
04-28-2014, 06:08 PM

No subframe issues as well. ;)

Tnhl1989
04-28-2014, 08:51 PM
I like how he took a picture of the differential cover. Can't wait to see that thing on my car ;)

TheFinanceGuy
04-29-2014, 03:58 AM
It does the very rare and hard to find V6 engine.

ELCID86
04-29-2014, 05:17 AM
It does the very rare and hard to find V6 engine.

:grin

More power!

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

onepercent
04-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Seems like a very reasonable price and the pics look promising. Description suggests someone who treats the car well, ignoring the "V6" mistake. I love my M3 vert and I have the top down daily. Since I don't go to the track much, if ever, the coupe vs vert thing was really not a big issue. I love them all.
To me, the grey interior is preferable in the vert since black leather gets really hot in the sun, but I live in Florida where the sun is really powerful... up North, not as important.