PDA

View Full Version : stripped license plate screw - drill it out?

KevinC
05-01-2014, 10:12 PM
My Z4M has a stripped license plate screw. I've already bought a new mounting piece that attaches to the bumper, which the license plate then attaches to, and new OEM screws. But I can't get that stripped fucker out, so I'm stuck until I do. Should I just get a tiny drill bit and drill it out, or is there some other method that might work? Can't find my damn drill.

derbo
05-01-2014, 10:44 PM
My Z4M has a stripped license plate screw. I've already bought a new mounting piece that attaches to the bumper, which the license plate then attaches to, and new OEM screws. But I can't get that stripped fucker out, so I'm stuck until I do. Should I just get a tiny drill bit and drill it out, or is there some other method that might work? Can't find my damn drill.

If you can, try using pliers or vise grips to untwist the screw by hand. If not, you can always dremel a larger slit to put a bigger flat head into it as well before you start drilling.

3ZHPGUY
05-01-2014, 11:19 PM
The integrated nut in the old frame breaks loose and turns. Hit it with some PB Blaster and try holding the nut with a needle nose vise grips. It's a PITA because to much grip and it squeezes the screw and won't turn to little and the nut thing turns.
Get yourself some a anti-seize so it never happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermes
05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Is it the same design as E46 where there are those plastic 'nuts' on the body to accept the plate mounting frame? Just pull those things out and replace them, I had to do that on the E38

KevinC
05-02-2014, 09:05 AM
It's the threads on the screw or the holder that are stripped, not the screw head. I can't get behind it to do anything back there.

Is it the same design as E46 where there are those plastic 'nuts' on the body to accept the plate mounting frame? Just pull those things out and replace them, I had to do that on the E38

Yep, identical design. How do I "just pull those things out" with the plate in the way? Thanks for everyone's replies!

derbo
05-04-2014, 09:13 AM
It's the threads on the screw or the holder that are stripped, not the screw head. I can't get behind it to do anything back there.

Yep, identical design. How do I "just pull those things out" with the plate in the way? Thanks for everyone's replies!

You can try bending the license plate to unscrew the license plate bracket screws. If not, You might be able to bend enough of the license plate to get the pliers in there to hold the rear square nut that is spinning.

Hermes
05-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Ah, didn't realize that's what the problem was. If you're replacing that plate frame just cut apart your old one until you can get behind it

iZHP
05-04-2014, 01:37 PM
I just had to destroy 2 rusted screws to get a plate off (new plates). Cutters, WD40, twisting, pulling, and patience got them off. Replaced the screws and nuts with a new nylon set.

TheFinanceGuy
05-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Ah, didn't realize that's what the problem was. If you're replacing that plate frame just cut apart your old one until you can get behind it

This. I had to do this on an 01 X5.

KevinC
05-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Cutting the plate is not an option - it's a vintage AZ plate that I need to preserve. Looks like I'll have to bust out the drill and have at it. Thanks for all the responses. Will update this thread once I've bored it into submission.

Hermes
05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Oh, it's the bolts for the plate itself. I thought you meant that mounting frame behind the plate. Yeah, just drill it out

TheFinanceGuy
05-06-2014, 01:02 AM
I also thought it was for the mounting frame. Have you trip an extractor such as the grab it (http://www.lowes.com/pd_299780-41877-8430P_4294607735__?productId=3031513&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=)? I had good luck with that while removing a striped screw to replace a door lock on my old E36.

KevinC
05-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Have you trip an extractor such as the Grabit?

That thing is for damaged screw heads.. the head on this one is fine, it's the threads that are stripped.

TheFinanceGuy
05-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Can I suggest KY then? :)

Hornung418
05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Can you snip the bolt head off and then remove the plate frame to fully remove the screw?

Sent from my GS3.

KevinC
06-29-2014, 10:36 AM
So I finally got around to trying to drill this bugger out yesterday. I used a titanium drill bit and a corded drill with plenty of torque. Barely scarred the head of the screw.

Do I need some fancier drill bit? Or... ?

ELCID86
06-29-2014, 11:00 AM
??
http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8430P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B000H6PM32?&tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=

I also saw someone used a drill to put a notch in the bolt/screw then used a torx or another type bit inserted into it.

KevinC
06-29-2014, 08:11 PM
The screw head isn't the issue, the threads are stripped, it just spins. I need to drill the bastard completely out somehow, hopefully without damaging the bumper behind the bracket. I already have a new bracket and screws, but have to get this screw out to be able to replace it.

Hornung418
06-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Can you snip the bolt head off and then remove the plate frame to fully remove the screw?

Sent from my GS3.

Bump?

Sent from my GS3.

KevinC
06-30-2014, 05:46 AM
Snipping the head off would work, but how to do that without damaging the license plate? It's a vintage plate in mint condition, I really don't want to mar it at all.

TheFinanceGuy
06-30-2014, 05:55 AM
with surgeon like hands? :dunno:

Hornung418
07-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Could you undo the other three and possibly swing the plate to remove the bracket and plate together? Then you could unscrew it with vice grips or something of the like.

Sent from my GS3.

KevinC
07-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Could you undo the other three and possibly swing the plate to remove the bracket and plate together? Then you could unscrew it with vice grips or something of the like.

Already tried that, can't swing it enough to get to the mounting screws for the bracket behind it.

There must be a "right" way to simply drill the screw out, what is the hardest drill bit type?

pfr
07-01-2014, 06:09 AM
If the head is ok but the screw spins, what I have done in the past was to reach under the head with another screwdriver and kindof lift it while spinning it out...???

ELCID86
07-01-2014, 09:35 AM
can you post a picture? I'm bolt-curious.

KevinC
07-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Si, I'll snap a pic tonight. You won't see much other than what has become a mangled screw head, though the threads were stripped before that ever happened.. that's the result of my trying to drill the bastard out.