PDA

View Full Version : Vanos repair

Fat-Ham
05-05-2014, 07:28 AM
What is the recommended fix for the vanos rattle. Mine has gotten really bad at 66,000 miles now. I know there is beisan and dr vanos not sure of any others. Along with that I'd like to do the disa valve. Does it have to be OEM bmw or is the other one on ECS just as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QC_ZHP
05-05-2014, 07:33 AM
For the Vanos, go for the Beisan rebuild kit+rattle kit. This guy has documented all of his work/research and he's based out of Raleigh.

The G.A.S. rebuild kit for the DISA is very well thought out and literally comes with everything you need down to the q-tip. Very easy DIY.

Fat-Ham
05-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Roger just ordered both of those. Anything else I need to replace while I'm doing both of those?

webster
05-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Roger just ordered both of those. Anything else I need to replace while I'm doing both of those?

VCG and spark plugs while you're doing vanos.

johnrando
05-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Valve Cover Gasket, spark plugs if you want.

EDIT: we posted at the same time :)

Fat-Ham
05-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Recommended brand?

QC_ZHP
05-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Also a good time to clean the MAF, ICV, and Throttle body.

webster
05-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Recommended brand?

OE for VCG, NGK for plugs

johnrando
05-05-2014, 09:05 AM
OE for VCG, NGK for plugs
+1

johnrando
05-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Also a good time to clean the MAF, ICV, and Throttle body.

+1 here too

ELCID86
05-05-2014, 09:52 AM
I did the Besian seals. Nice kit and guy. I had to email or call him and he was very responsive. Do order the VANOS gasket as it doesn't come with his kit (used to I think but he stopped for some reason). VCG is a must, but plugs at that mileage is your call. I'm doing Colin's plugs this summer at around 85k. I also need to do his Vanos with anti-rattle kit.

Vas
05-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Man you guys are quick with replies.

I went with Dr.Vanos when I did my vanos.

ELCID86
05-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Man you guys are quick with replies.

I went with Dr.Vanos when I did my vanos.

Now you have me thinking I might go that route and not have to mess with finding a vise and air wrench.

Vas
05-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Now you have me thinking I might go that route and not have to mess with finding a vise and air wrench.

That is why I went with it instead of the DIY.

stephenkirsh
05-05-2014, 12:13 PM
That's the same reason I'll go dr vanos when I get around to it.

Stewbie
05-05-2014, 12:33 PM
I bought German Auto Solutions Gold DISA rather than the kit. If something went wrong with the old DISA during the rebuild, it would put my daily driver out of commission.

I'm hoping to get to the VANOS this year. I'll go with a rebuilt unit from Dr. Vanos. $250 (after core refund) is more than the kit but its still pretty cheap for what is effectively a brand new Vanos.

Fat-Ham
05-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Yeah I was looking at the dr vanos but I figured I have an auto shop on base with essentially every tool I could ever need and work benches. Costs 5$ an hour to have a lift and stall but in the end it pays for itself I think. Hopefully this job goes smooth!

ELCID86
05-05-2014, 01:51 PM
That is why I went with it instead of the DIY.

Just ordered it.

Vas
05-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Just ordered it.

Thats awesome.

derbo
05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
I might be lazy and do the Dr. Vanos too.

kayger12
05-05-2014, 02:26 PM
I've gone the Beisan route twice and was very happy both times with both the product and the service.

My reservation with Dr Vanos was that I was getting a vanos in unknown condition. Sure the bearings and seals are new, but what about the intake/exhaust solenoids and the pistons themselves? You're essentially getting a random vanos in unknown condition-- at least that's how I looked at it.

At least when I rebuilt mine I knew the condition of the unit, solenoids, and internals.

In fairness to Dr. Vanos, I've never read a bad review here or elsewhere to suggest that my concerns were valid.

KevinC
05-05-2014, 02:50 PM
My reservation with Dr Vanos was that I was getting a vanos in unknown condition. Sure the bearings and seals are new, but what about the intake/exhaust solenoids and the pistons themselves? You're essentially getting a random vanos in unknown condition-- at least that's how I looked at it. ....
In fairness to Dr. Vanos, I've never read a bad review here or elsewhere to suggest that my concerns were valid.

Well.. let me be the first.

When I bought my ZHP 2 years ago, it had a stumble that sounded like VANOS seals and/or DISA issues, so I decided to pony up for a rebuilt VANOS unit and DISA Gold from GAS. I then dropped my "new" car at my indy for Inspection 2, and included these parts. I got a call that afternoon stating that the VANOS was throwing codes. Based on the codes, it appeared the solenoids were sticking. It had to be pulled and returned to the good doctor, while he 2nd day'd a replacement to my indy. The car was down an extra couple of days, and I took on additional labor costs, which I mitigated between my indy giving me a break and the doctor helping - though I should have leaned on him to take care of the entire extra cost and inconvenience. Bottom line - the unit was not rebuilt properly, with the solenoids not being properly attended to. All is well since and to this day, but that was not a stellar experience.

This was a long time ago and I've also not read any other complaints about the doctor, so I'm willing to accept that this was an isolated incident.

kayger12
05-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Well.. let me be the first.

When I bought my ZHP 2 years ago, it had a stumble that sounded like VANOS seals and/or DISA issues, so I decided to pony up for a rebuilt VANOS unit and DISA Gold from GAS. I then dropped my "new" car at my indy for Inspection 2, and included these parts. I got a call that afternoon stating that the VANOS was throwing codes. Based on the codes, it appeared the solenoids were sticking. It had to be pulled and returned to the good doctor, while he 2nd day'd a replacement to my indy. The car was down an extra couple of days, and I took on additional labor costs, which I mitigated between my indy giving me a break and the doctor helping - though I should have leaned on him to take care of the entire extra cost and inconvenience. Bottom line - the unit was not rebuilt properly, with the solenoids not being properly attended to. All is well since and to this day, but that was not a stellar experience.

This was a long time ago and I've also not read any other complaints about the doctor, so I'm willing to accept that this was an isolated incident.

Great info. Glad it got squared away.

Sockethead
05-07-2014, 08:25 AM
I've had the Dr. Vanos in for couple of years with no issues. The only thing worth mentioning is that on every Dr. Vanis I've seen, the solenoid housings rust up. Probably from media blasting.
So, if you go with Dr Vanos, hit the solenoids with some clear or aluminum colored silver before you put it on.

Vas
05-07-2014, 09:05 AM
I read reviews about Dr.Vanos and decided to try it. No issues from the unit.

Simmsled
05-08-2014, 11:52 AM
I've had the Dr. Vanos in for couple of years with no issues. The only thing worth mentioning is that on every Dr. Vanis I've seen, the solenoid housings rust up. Probably from media blasting.
So, if you go with Dr Vanos, hit the solenoids with some clear or aluminum colored silver before you put it on.

Interesting. This is good to know. Thanks!

ELCID86
05-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Just got my Dr. V in the mail today. Not sure what Rob means about "hit the solenoids with some clear or aluminum colored silver". Can you please explain what you'd recommend using?

328ioc
05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Just got my Dr. V in the mail today. Not sure what Rob means about "hit the solenoids with some clear or aluminum colored silver". Can you please explain what you'd recommend using?

He is saying the solenoids may rust over time but the rest of the unit won't. So you may want to hit then with paint to protect them.

However. One my my solenoids had a little rust and it was OEM so I don't think its related to anything DR. V does. Just the conditions the car lives in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
05-08-2014, 12:31 PM
He is saying the solenoids may rust over time but the rest of the unit won't. So you may want to hit then with paid to protect them.

However. One my my solenoids had a little rust and it was OEM so I don't think its related to anything DR. V does. Just the conditions the car lives in.

Thanks. I assume "paint" above :-)

328ioc
05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks. I assume "paint" above :-)

Yes....and fixed. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sockethead
05-08-2014, 07:35 PM
yea, I meant paint :biggrin...be it clear or silver to match the rest of the Vanos.... we're not talking a little rust on the DR Vanos units, the whole thing turns flaky, rusty brown...

ELCID86
05-12-2014, 01:06 PM
yea, I meant paint :biggrin...be it clear or silver to match the rest of the Vanos.... we're not talking a little rust on the DR Vanos units, the whole thing turns flaky, rusty brown...

So what parts would you paint?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Vas
05-12-2014, 01:56 PM
I did not paint mine and it has been fine for over a year now.

Sockethead
05-12-2014, 01:59 PM
So what parts would you paint?
The two solenoids on the ends where the wires plug in

ELCID86
05-12-2014, 02:01 PM
The two solenoids on the ends where the wires plug in

Thanks. I didn't realize this came with the crush washers and Vanos gasket too.

ELCID86
05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Good idea Rob. I used some clear spray varnish. Looks good (can't see it). Hope it holds up to the heat (I don't think they get that hot).