PDA

View Full Version : Beginner and/or "Track/Autox Guide" Sticky?

NoVAphotog
05-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I spoke with a couple of folks during the meetup about some guidelines for taking our cars to the track/autocrosses, but I was wondering if we could get a sticky going with an overview similar to the the "words of wisdom - for the new guy" thread in the Maintenance section.

I'd love to take Scarlett to an Autox or a track day, but as she sits now at mechanically 100% stock I'm wondering how it all works as and what changes to consider.

Some initial questions are:

What are some necessary items to bring with you? Check on the car beforehand? Check after the day is over?

Are the M135 wheels and all-season Bridgestone RFT's good enough for a first timer, or am I looking into a whole set of dedicated event wheels/tires (e.g. lighter, squared 17's, etc)?

I've always heard driver mod is the best way to improve, should I just stop worrying and nit picking about the car; do the basic check overs and then show up and go for it?

Which would be the best/easiest event to aim to start with, a track day or an autox? Why?

How is the insurance handled between the two? (I'm assuming an autox is less risky because...parking lot/traffic cones vs. tire walls/other fast cars all around you.)

What is the best avenue to find out about/register for upcoming events? (e.g. BMWCCA, SCCA, etc)?

derbo
05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I've always heard driver mod is the best way to improve, should I just stop worrying and nit picking about the car; do the basic check overs and then show up and go for it?

This is the best thing to do! Just going out there with your stock car will help you learn the basics. Chances are you won't be able to reach the limits of the stock car right away anyways.

Do a tech inspection. NCRC around here has a nice tech sheet that has some basic guidelines. http://www.ncracing.org/docs/carchecklist.pdf

Main ones would be:
to make sure your brake fluid has been flushed in the last six months.
no major leaks anywhere
Tires have good enough tread
and brake pads have enough life.

That sheet will help make sure your car is ready to go.

Insurance usually will frown upon track days, but if you go with BMW CCA where they call it a Driving school, they might still insurance while it is on the track. There are 3rd party companies where you set a total amount your car is worth and they will insure your car for a price with high deductible. It's better than paying the full replacement of the car.

jakksfor20
05-07-2014, 10:49 AM
I just recently completed my first auto-x last month with the next one being this weekend. I followed this guide for my first one.
http://www.peachtreebmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=67

As far as your specific questions based on what I have read.
Don't do anything to your car for the first one. If it's something you would do more than just one time, buy a set of wheels with whatever tires. I just picked up a set of M68's with some Pirelli tires just because they were $400 and I have 18" ARC-8 with cheap Nexan tires on them that screamed. Plus, 17" are cheaper to replace.

Just show up. Make sure you don't have any major leaks and meat left on your brakes. That's about it. Also, make sure you have or can rent a Snell approved year 2005 or newer helmet. You probably won't get any higher than the top of 2nd gear, so that eliminates alot of the cause for concern about insurance. If the curbs,poles are too close then they need to adjust the track.

Do a search for your local BMW CCA to find their next events.

Sockethead
05-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Yea just run your stock car. There is nothing wrong with that. Which ever track you choose, find out what their helmet requirements are. Most tracks require a snell rated helmet.

Edit: also some tracks require a Snell SA rating.
To learn more about Snell ratings and general helmet FAQs visit www.smf.org

Stewbie
05-07-2014, 11:30 AM
If you modify your car, your just going to move from a stock class into a modified class and get hit with a less favouable pax multiplier as a result. That's the beauty of autoX. You can truly just run what your brung. The pax multiplier will take car of the differences between cars. At least that's the theory. :)

Before each event I check all my fluids and re-torque my lug nuts. When you get to the track you'll be required to remove all lose items from the car to pass tech inspection. So anything you don't want or need at the track should be removed from the car the night before.

There are threads on here about lifter tick on our cars after autoX runs. I've experienced it. Apart from a costly installation of a baffle in your oil pan, all you can do is make sure your oil is fully topped up (and some actually overfill a bit) and leave your engine running between runs.

This may vary from place to place, but where I am, your insurance is not valid on the autoX track. Make sure the club has insurance and that the club is making everyone on site (everyone, not just drivers) sign liability waivers. AutoX is low risk, but odds are you will be assuming some risk if you want to participate.

jakksfor20
05-07-2014, 12:00 PM
I am doing BMW CCA and they group differently compared to SCCA. I am running B class in my 323ci with H&R race/Bilstein sports and the crappy Nexan (340 rated tires). Next month I'll have time to put on the PSS coilovers and change to the better rated tires (220) and still stay in B class....barely.

Avetiso
05-07-2014, 01:10 PM
I've always wondered about insurance and tracking. I wouldn't want to risk not having a payout.

mbeckel
05-07-2014, 03:05 PM
So many questions just answered! Makes me more confident for when I head to a track event and autox event

Sent from in the bushes

NoVAphotog
05-07-2014, 03:48 PM
So many questions just answered! Makes me more confident for when I head to a track event and autox event

Mods/Bosses, any chance we could add this as a sticky for future additions and reference?

M0nk3y
05-07-2014, 05:41 PM
I'll try to get to this within a couple days. Pretty busy but already a lot of good information.

NoVAphotog
05-07-2014, 05:59 PM
I'll try to get to this within a couple days. Pretty busy but already a lot of good information.

Sounds good. Feel free to "clean up" my initial post and make it more general if needed.

JULSGT
05-07-2014, 08:18 PM
if this is goin to be your first autox, make the initial 360 of your car (walk around), check your lug nuts!!! tire pressure, brake fluids, oil level etc, then try to perform a test run, not running, just to know the track path, then, have fun, on the first events you will not win gold, but you will know better your vehicle, thats gold to me.

Sockethead
05-08-2014, 06:19 AM
If you have the opportunity to ride with an instructor , do it. You can learn a lot from them. I was glad I had an instructor my first time.

Stewbie
05-08-2014, 04:40 PM
It just so happens that the June 2014 issue of Grassroots Motorsport has an article on autocross: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

Somebody mentioned tire pressures. Your tires are likely to rollover a lot if you autoX using the manufacturer's recommended pressures, so you'll probably want to run higher pressures to race. My club recommends 40/40 F/R as a starting point and then adjust from there. The ideal pressure will of course vary from car to car, and day to day You can chalk your tires to see how far they are rolling over, and then adjust pressures accordingly. That said, don't worry too much about this while you are a newbie. There'll be plenty of minutia to obsess over when you've got some experience. :)

Stewbie
05-10-2014, 09:35 AM
It just so happens that the June 2014 issue of Grassroots Motorsport has an article on autocross: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

Just read the digital edition. The article is more about a GRM staffer's experience in the SCCA Starting Line program, and less about autocross advice. I wouldn't spend $5 on the magazine just for that article. That said, for car nuts like us its a very entertaining magazine for $5. :)

TigerTater
05-10-2014, 03:47 PM
What do ya'll have to say about an AT for autox? It seems to me that most of the course is driven in 2nd gear <60mph?...In S-D (sport mode) the tranny to me is very adaptive and will quickly shift up or down (hold revs etc.) depending on the need. Anyone with an AT driven either autox or on tracks with some input?

Avetiso
05-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Stephenkrish did it with his AT.

Stewbie
05-10-2014, 04:28 PM
The majority of cars at my club's events are manuals, but we do get some automatics. Your primary goal at autoX is to have fun and you can do this in either. :)

derbo
05-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Stephenkrish did it with his AT.

Nothing wrong with AT!

http://www.vsetrack.com/2002.htm

This guy has an awesome AT that he tracked for years.

BCS_ZHP
05-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Daniel,
BMWCCA NCC (National Capitol Chapter) has an auto cross every month or so at the Minor league baseball stadiums in Waldorf and Bowie, quarterly they go to Summit Point for more experienced drivers. Consider joining the local BMW CCA chapter.

M0nk3y
05-11-2014, 03:02 PM
I spoke with a couple of folks during the meetup about some guidelines for taking our cars to the track/autocrosses, but I was wondering if we could get a sticky going with an overview similar to the the "words of wisdom - for the new guy" thread in the Maintenance section.

I'd love to take Scarlett to an Autox or a track day, but as she sits now at mechanically 100% stock I'm wondering how it all works as and what changes to consider.

Some initial questions are:

What are some necessary items to bring with you? Check on the car beforehand? Check after the day is over?

Are the M135 wheels and all-season Bridgestone RFT's good enough for a first timer, or am I looking into a whole set of dedicated event wheels/tires (e.g. lighter, squared 17's, etc)?

Which would be the best/easiest event to aim to start with, a track day or an autox? Why?

How is the insurance handled between the two? (I'm assuming an autox is less risky because...parking lot/traffic cones vs. tire walls/other fast cars all around you.)

What is the best avenue to find out about/register for upcoming events? (e.g. BMWCCA, SCCA, etc)?

Check on your car before hand:
Loose components in engine bay
Lug Nuts
Shake your wheels to check for any sign of play on the wheel for wheel bearing issues

Items to bring:
Extra Oil, Power Steering Fluid
Water/Fluids
Sunscreen (you will get roasted if you don't)
Rain gear (you will get wet if you don't)
Hat/Sunglasses
Chalk (I'll explain)
Ziplock bags to store loose items from your car
Air pressure gauge
Torque Wrench

Typically, as a beginner please run what you currently have. It may be frustrating that your tires may not be the ideal ones, but it will be a valuable learning tool. Throwing on sticker tires will hide your errors and make you slower. I've seen it too many times.

Focus on the nut behind the wheel, you. Learn the lines, push the car. You do not know the limits of the car (and how to correct it) until you exceed. IMO, try and push the car into a spin. Once you do that, you'll know what it feels like and can play with that limit.

IMO - Starting autox is alot easier to do (don't need to worry as much as brake pad life/rotor, tires..etc). In addition, spinning in the middle of a parking lot is much different than a track.

However, the experience is completely different on a track. You cannot compare the two.

When I did my first track day, it was soaking wet. The car was very loose, and there was corrections needed about every turn getting onto power. The instructor said I have probably one of the fastest hands he's seen in a while...and IMO it was contributed to autox...catching skids when you pushed that limit.

Check with your insurance provider, but I know I'm actually covered under HPDEs because it is classified as driver education, and not timed.

Your local chapters should have websites to register for events. Go onto SCCA main page and it can locate your region.

Very basic, but let me know if you need more info

ZHPLove
05-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Super helpful, thanks. Looking forward to my first auto x

Sent from Tapatalk on my Nokia 1020

NoVAphotog
05-13-2014, 10:54 AM
If you have the opportunity to ride with an instructor , do it. You can learn a lot from them. I was glad I had an instructor my first time.

Thanks to all for the great feedback! I just registered Scarlett and I for the upcoming Autocross School! :thumbsup

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?8853-05-24-2014-NCC-Autocross-Novice-School-2-in-Bowie-MD