PDA

View Full Version : Fixing white spots on glossy black door trim

BavarianZHP
05-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Hey,

I use Back to Black on the bumper trim and that works wonders, but what about the glossy trim around our windows? I have these annoying speckles of white spots dotting the rear window trim. Any easy way to "paint" over and remedy them? Would love to hear about any easy fixes. The spots have been there since day 1 and I just can't stand them anymore! :foottap

Newjack
05-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Don't paint the shadowline trim. Get some clay and claybar them. Mine were in horrible condition when I bought my car and after some claybar they look brand new.

ELCID86
05-10-2014, 10:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing on the spots. Mine is pretty clean except for a few chips near the c-pillar.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

BavarianZHP
05-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out this weekend. Yeah, the white spots look like white paint overspray... But they aren't.

iZHP
05-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Rob. I'm going to try this as well. Does this work for E90 silver trim, too?

Johnmadd
05-10-2014, 01:42 PM
M105 works instantly. Wipe on wipe off.

ELCID86
05-10-2014, 02:01 PM
So the supposition here is that the white spots are not chips, but on the surface and will come off with cleaning/correction?

Johnmadd
05-10-2014, 02:20 PM
So the supposition here is that the white spots are not chips, but on the surface and will come off with cleaning/correction?

I was assuming it was water spots. If it is actually chipped, then no. If its on the surface, m105 easily takes takes mostly everything off including the "oil and water mixing" look.

Newjack
05-10-2014, 09:54 PM
I was assuming it was water spots. If it is actually chipped, then no. If its on the surface, m105 easily takes takes mostly everything off including the "oil and water mixing" look.

The oil and water look was what my trim looked like. It was purpley and weird looking. Claying it removed all of the imperfections except for the one really small rock chip I have that Justin likes to point out every time he sees my car.

Hornung418
05-11-2014, 05:45 AM
It's because I have the same problem dummy! I hope the clay bar will remove some of it. Fucking Nevada man...sand everywhere. Like getting a drive through media blast on the arches and trim bits.

Sent from my GS3.