PDA

View Full Version : WTH! Cut tire......

MrMaico
05-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Was out for a drive enjoying the nice weather last night when all of a sudden I started hearing a loud clicking noise. Pulled over as soon as I could and found this in the left rear.........

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-H9tTNHx/0/XL/20140523_181600-XL.jpg

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-QzQNTCK/0/XL/20140523_185835-XL.jpg

I didn't see any air loss yet so I left the piece of metal in the tire and headed for home. Luckily I was only about 5 miles away. Stopped at a gas station on the way to check and see if it needed any air but the gauge showed no air loss. Jacked it up a ways at home and pulled the shrapnel and that's when I realized it was a utility knife blade. Amazing how it cut such a wide gash like that! If you look close you can see it even cut some of the cords in the tire.

Sucks being without the ZHP on this holiday weekend!

Now I have to decide what to do......the tires are Hankook V12s. The rears have less than 10,000 on them but the fronts have close to 30,000. Debating whether to just replace one or both rears or just doing all 4 even though they all have a good bit of thread left.

Then the next question is to go with a set of the newer Hankook V12 Evo2 or Michelin PSS. If I do end up changing all 4 I'll probably go with the PSS.

Barry

WOLFN8TR
05-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Oh Shit!

pilotnick1203
05-26-2014, 07:38 AM
I'd do 4 with the PSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermes
05-26-2014, 11:46 AM
That sucks, at least it held air until you got home.

webster
05-26-2014, 01:04 PM
I'd do 4 with the PSS

tough to cough up $1k+ just because you ran over a utility blade tho...

Maico, i was in the same boat as my V12 rears are shot, but my fronts still have half their life left. decided to just get new V12 Evo2 rears.

MrMaico
05-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Oh Shit!

No shit! :biggrin Then to add insult to injury you can see I also ran over fresh tar somewhere and splattered some of that on the left rear bumper.

I'd do 4 with the PSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably will go that route. I just hope they are nice and quite. The Hankooks are so much quieter than the Potenza RE040's that were on it when I bought it.

That sucks, at least it held air until you got home.

Ya, if I knew it was going to hold air I would have pulled the blade out right away and maybe done less damage.

tough to cough up $1k+ just because you ran over a utility blade tho...

Maico, i was in the same boat as my V12 rears are shot, but my fronts still have half their life left. decided to just get new V12 Evo2 rears.

Yup, sucks to have to get new tires just because of one bad one but I might have done it anyway by this fall or so. Plus, the way you read of people raving about the PSS just makes me tempted to get a set just to feel the grip. Definitely will have to make a trip to the Black Hills soon to test them out.:biggrin

Barry

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Black-Hills-0508/i-76ptWrk/0/XL/NeedlesHwy0508-XL.jpg

MrMaico
05-31-2014, 01:56 PM
I ended up ordering a set of PSS's from Sams Club and got an e mail and phone call Friday telling me the 2 tires I ordered were in. I called them to see what was up and they told me only 2 had shown up so far........of course, it was the 2 fronts.

So now I'm waiting on the rears and in the meantime I put my car up on stands and pulled the wheels off so I can just take them in and let someone mount them. Haven't decided if I will let Sams do it or the local Goodyear. I know the guys at GY and they said it's no problem having them mount them even though I bought from somewhere else. I checked out the machines at Sams though and they have the latest machines from Hunter plus the guy said they use plastic coated tools when mounting tires on aluminum wheels. I'll probably go with whoever can get them done soonest.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-ftKMLLx/0/L/20140531_161337-L.jpg

I was also planning to install the steering guibo I bought a while back but mine still looks to be in perfect condition. Anyone think I should change it anyway? Looks pretty easy to do.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-SCpnMXC/0/L/20140531_164533-L.jpg

ryankokesh
06-02-2014, 05:30 AM
I was also planning to install the steering guibo I bought a while back but mine still looks to be in perfect condition. Anyone think I should change it anyway? Looks pretty easy to do.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-SCpnMXC/0/L/20140531_164533-L.jpg

That's about how mine looked when I changed it out last weekend. It's a pretty simply job if the car's already up and you let pb blaster sit on it for a few mins. It made a small difference for me, so I guess it was worth it. May as well if you have it already :dunno

MrMaico
06-03-2014, 02:51 PM
That's about how mine looked when I changed it out last weekend. It's a pretty simply job if the car's already up and you let pb blaster sit on it for a few mins. It made a small difference for me, so I guess it was worth it. May as well if you have it already :dunno

Thanks Ryan.....I'll probably go ahead and install it. It's not like I have to worry about ever wearing the new one out. It'll probably outlive me!:biggrin

The rear tires showed up today so I had them mounted and have been cleaning up the hubs and removing some tar from the wheelwells. Tough to resist the urge to just mount them up right now and take them out for a "test drive"!

Barry

330i ZHP
06-04-2014, 02:00 AM
good lord

MrMaico
06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Well, I got the wheels mounted back on the car and got out for a short test drive, pretty impressed so far, but............

I stopped at a spot along the river for a bit and when I went to leave it took 2 or 3 seconds of cranking before the engine fired. It's never done that before, it always starts right up, so the first thing I thought was fuel pump.

Just so happens I bought a spare VDO pump and seal from BMA about a year ago so I installed that last night, car fired right up after that but it also started right up when I tried it again after I got home last night (before I changed the pump). Of course it's raining today so I haven't had a chance to drive it again. Hopefully that's what the issue was.

ryankokesh
06-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Well, I got the wheels mounted back on the car and got out for a short test drive, pretty impressed so far, but............

I stopped at a spot along the river for a bit and when I went to leave it took 2 or 3 seconds of cranking before the engine fired. It's never done that before, it always starts right up, so the first thing I thought was fuel pump.

Just so happens I bought a spare VDO pump and seal from BMA about a year ago so I installed that last night, car fired right up after that but it also started right up when I tried it again after I got home last night (before I changed the pump). Of course it's raining today so I haven't had a chance to drive it again. Hopefully that's what the issue was.

Hope that was it... Mine was a very binary failure, though. Isn't the starter what tends to go slowly?

Either way, something good to replace!

Sent from my iPhone

MrMaico
06-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Hope that was it... Mine was a very binary failure, though. Isn't the starter what tends to go slowly?

Either way, something good to replace!

Sent from my iPhone

Me too! :-) I took it for a short drive this morning before I bolted the cover back down and put the seat in, just to make sure there were no leaks. Everything looked good so it's all back together now.

For whatever reason it seems like my Homelink has lost some range. I used to be able to open the door from a couple of houses away and today I had to be almost to my driveway. Might be time to do the tinfoil mod.