PDA

View Full Version : Considering a trade for a M3

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 08:50 AM
I am starting to get an itch for a M3 and I feel like I may need to scratch it, if I do, it will be at the expense of my zhp. What's everyone think?

Sent from in the bushes

TigerTater
05-31-2014, 09:02 AM
I am starting to get an itch for a M3 and I feel like I may need to scratch it, if I do, it will be at the expense of my zhp. What's everyone think?

Sent from in the bushes

Do it...lol. I Love my ZHP...and won't be able to scratch the itch for a while seeing as how Im still in grad-school + student loans..., but one day I will own an M3.

What chassis are you thinking...I've been looking at the e90's a lot lately...

Avetiso
05-31-2014, 09:03 AM
It's the logical upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Do it...lol. I Love my ZHP...and won't be able to scratch the itch for a while seeing as how Im still in grad-school + student loans..., but one day I will own an M3.

What chassis are you thinking...I've been looking at the e90's a lot lately...

I like the e90, but the price tag is still crazy. I've always loved the e46

Sent from in the bushes

KevinC
05-31-2014, 09:23 AM
I'd say do it - but only if your finances allow for a decent upgrade, not some beater with high miles that has been owned by some kid driving it like a maniac on the edges of cliffs over Saguaro Lake, or getting it airborne at South Mountain Park (a couple of notable recent E46 M3 misadventures that went viral). Everything is more expensive on the M3, so anything you need to set straight will be costly. Buy one that's straight and current on maintenance if at all possible - you'll pay either way, might as well start with a clean example that's been well cared for.

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 09:32 AM
I found one that was salvaged, but looks like it was repaired properly and has tasteful mods. 112k miles.

Sent from in the bushes

Pip
05-31-2014, 09:32 AM
I'd say do it - but only if your finances allow for a decent upgrade, not some beater with high miles that has been owned by some kid driving it like a maniac on the edges of cliffs over Saguaro Lake, or getting it airborne at South Mountain Park (a couple of notable recent E46 M3 misadventures that went viral). Everything is more expensive on the M3, so anything you need to set straight will be costly. Buy one that's straight and current on maintenance if at all possible - you'll pay either way, might as well start with a clean example that's been well cared for.

Words of wisdom. Get a competent Indy to check it out as well. Maintenance records are key if you can get them to ensure you won't be stuck holding a large bill. As always ensure you check the vanos and subframe.

The M3 is not as great of a daily driver as the ZHP, but it can be done. Just be warned it drives like a race car.

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 09:35 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/y4ase3y5.jpg

Here's one that I found

Sent from in the bushes

NickZHP
05-31-2014, 10:45 AM
I would definitely do it, if I wasn't still in school I would be looking for an e46 M3 for sure.

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 10:50 AM
If anyone finds a good deal on one that's a MT, please let me know

Sent from in the bushes

ItsMeScottG
05-31-2014, 11:38 AM
That car has been for sale in Houston on craigslist for months and months. It has issues, and it's salvage. I'd stay far away from the thing.

cakM3
05-31-2014, 11:58 AM
Sean posted sage advice :thumbsup

That's why I got my ZHP to take over daily driver duties while I have my ///M for summer cruises and road trips :)

Cost of maintenance is higher with the ///M...something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Sean posted sage advice :thumbsup

That's why I got my ZHP to take over daily driver duties while I have my ///M for summer cruises and road trips :)

Cost of maintenance is higher with the ///M...something to keep in mind.

I have a car to perform my daily driver duties. It's been discouraging looking at cars. How scary can higher milage cars be if the maintenance is up to date. I found one at a dealer in the 14k range, but has 166,000 miles!

gmurphy
05-31-2014, 12:39 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/y4ase3y5.jpg

Here's one that I found

Sent from in the bushes

Eh I would wait for a better one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItsMeScottG
05-31-2014, 12:53 PM
If you find a car that you like at www.Group1auto.com, I work for them as a service tech at a Houston dealership. I can give discounts on some cars that they sell.

cakM3
05-31-2014, 01:20 PM
I have a car to perform my daily driver duties. It's been discouraging looking at cars. How scary can higher milage cars be if the maintenance is up to date. I found one at a dealer in the 14k range, but has 166,000 miles!

Mileage is just a number if the car has been properly maintained and not abused. I don't consider it scary at all to drive a high mileage ///M (I have one) and take it on a long distance road trip.

In fact, I'm doing that right now :thumbsup

The point being...research the car's maintenance history. If you can't then either pass on the car or get it knowing you'll be pouring $$$$$ into the car to fully sort it out. Sometimes it's half the fun to get a car to make a nice build project out of it.

I have done this (see project thread) and have found it rewarding :thumbsup

gmurphy
05-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Mileage is just a number if the car has been properly maintained and not abused. I don't consider it scary at all to drive a high mileage ///M (I have one) and take it on a long distance road trip.

In fact, I'm doing that right now :thumbsup

The point being...research the car's maintenance history. If you can't then either pass on the car or get it knowing you'll be pouring $$$$$ into the car to fully sort it out. Sometimes it's half the fun to get a car to make a nice build project out of it.

I have done this (see project thread) and have found it rewarding :thumbsup

+1
I would take any car with high mileage over a lower mileage equivalent with no history.

ranger
05-31-2014, 01:48 PM
I bought a high mileage ZHP (RIP) with good results. I am driving a high mileage C55 AMG now with good results. Look at the service history and budget for maintenance items such as brake, tires, cooling upgrades, shocks/struts, etc and factor that maintenance into your decision (and price!).

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Thank you fellas! This will really help me in my search

Sent from in the bushes

NorCal-Dimitri
05-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Eh I would wait for a better one.

+1. Imo wait for a one owner with a clean title and complete maintenance records.

gmurphy
05-31-2014, 02:07 PM
If you really want a clean low mileage one we all know who stocks them up... :)

cakM3
05-31-2014, 02:33 PM
EAG

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 03:22 PM
EAG

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/4449304112.html

What's your opinion on this one?

Sent from in the bushes

rguti153
05-31-2014, 03:45 PM
They have a imola red but for 30 lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 05:13 PM
They have a imola red but for 30 lol

Over priced much?

Sent from in the bushes

rguti153
05-31-2014, 05:14 PM
Yep lol I think so

cakM3
05-31-2014, 05:37 PM
http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/4449304112.html

What's your opinion on this one?

Sent from in the bushes

I have both, a ZHP I use as my daily driver and my ///M, which I use when going to meets and road trips.

If this will be your only car after you sell your ZHP, I highly recommend you keep the ZHP as your daily driver onlly because it's the best daily driver BMW has ever made in my opinion.

As much as I love my ///M, and I do, it's too brutal for daily driving in my opinion. Then add the additional costs of maintenance that you will surely put out. Yes, the ///M requires more money in maintenance and parts for this car will run more money than parts for our ZHPs. It's how it is...

I have driven my ///M as a daily driver for a year and as much as I enjoyed driving it, I realized it was getting beat up from daily driving. It didn't help that I too was getting beat up from driving a car with much stiffer suspension either.

I got my ZHP after having my //M so I could have it as my daily driver and to be completely honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. Anyway, that's my advice...

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 05:39 PM
I have both, a ZHP I use as my daily driver and my ///M, which I use when going to meets and road trips.

If this will be your only car after you sell your ZHP, I highly recommend you keep the ZHP as your daily driver onlly because it's the best daily driver BMW has ever made in my opinion.

As much as I love my ///M, and I do, it's too brutal for daily driving in my opinion. Then add the additional costs of maintenance that you will surely put out. Yes, the ///M requires more money in maintenance and parts for this car will run more money than parts for our ZHPs. It's how it is...

I have driven my ///M as a daily driver for a year and as much as I enjoyed driving it, I realized it was getting beat up from daily driving. It didn't help that I too was getting beat up from driving a car with much stiffer suspension either.

I got my ZHP after having my //M so I could have it as my daily driver and to be completely honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. Anyway, that's my advice...

I have 2 cars including my zhp right now. My zhp isn't my dd. This car wouldn't be either. Do you think this one looks decent?

Sent from in the bushes

cakM3
05-31-2014, 05:43 PM
I have 2 cars including my zhp right now. My zhp isn't my dd. This car wouldn't be either. Do you think this one looks decent?

Sent from in the bushes

Okay, I'll take a look then PM you :thumbsup

cakM3
05-31-2014, 06:38 PM
I myself would stay away from this one....there are ///Ms out there with better color combinations/options for a decent price. 166k on the clock, you want to know the car's maintenance history to start off with. The grey interior is a no go for me. Not a fan of the grey.....

mbeckel
05-31-2014, 07:19 PM
I myself would stay away from this one....there are ///Ms out there with better color combinations/options for a decent price. 166k on the clock, you want to know the car's maintenance history to start off with. The grey interior is a no go for me. Not a fan of the grey.....

Yeah, interior wise I like red and black the best

Sent from in the bushes

cakM3
06-01-2014, 04:45 AM
If you're patient, you'll get your ///M....just the way you like it :thumbsup

johnrando
06-01-2014, 05:10 PM
It's the logical upgrade.

I'd prefer the phrase 'logical choice', over 'logical upgrade'. The M is not necessarily an 'upgrade' depending on your perspective.

sent from a galaxy

Avetiso
06-01-2014, 06:05 PM
I'd prefer the phrase 'logical choice', over 'logical upgrade'. The M is not necessarily an 'upgrade' depending on your perspective.

sent from a galaxy

Yes. I meant if you are looking for a performance upgrade, the M3 is the logical choice coming from the ZHP.
I see your point about upgrade vs. choice.

Tnhl1989
06-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Word of advice currently since the market is going to shift hard once the f80s start rolling out. Wait for the private sales to start jumping up. I saw a post recently on a facebook page. Someone got a 25k e46 m3 since the owner has many other m3s and ordered a f82. Just wait for the right time then jump on it.

johnrando
06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Word of advice currently since the market is going to shift hard once the f80s start rolling out. Wait for the private sales to start jumping up. I saw a post recently on a facebook page. Someone got a 25k e46 m3 since the owner has many other m3s and ordered a f82. Just wait for the right time then jump on it.

Good idea.

Yes. I meant if you are looking for a performance upgrade, the M3 is the logical choice coming from the ZHP.
I see your point about upgrade vs. choice.

You're right, definitely a performance upgrade. :biggrin

onepercent
06-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Former ZHP coupe owner and current M3 vert owner here. If you love the ZHP, you'll also love the M3. Maintenance, as others have attested, is noticeably more expensive in the M3. M3 is definitely faster but not as much faster as you might expect because the torque is actually pretty close.
Major M3 issues to watch out for: subframe (not an issue in verts), VANOS

cakM3
06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
...Major M3 issues to watch out for: subframe (not an issue in verts), VANOS

To be more accurate....

pre 2004 models had the rod bearing recall so if you get an older ///M you want to check to see if this was done... on 2004 and later models, some have experienced VANOS related issues (exhaust cam tabs breaking or VANOS bolts failures). As Luke pointed out, you want to have the rear subframe checked out before buying the car. I would further add, you want to check out the rear subframe on any E46 just to be safe...

If there's a good maintenance history and receipts to go with the car that would, in my humble opinion, would make for a stronger point in the sale. Knowing as much history of the car you're going to purchase will give you a good idea as to what maintenance you will be needing to address in the immediate future. No one likes to have nasty surprises after purchasing a car...

If you really want to see some of the shortcomings of owning an ///M then I would suggest you go lurk over at M3Forum and search there....you will dig up lots of information from people who have experienced problems with their ///M's. (SMG related failures / Subframe related failures / Rod Bearing related failures / VANOS related failures) there are some other issues that have been posted there as well... from my personal experience of ///M ownership (5 years and counting) I have been lucky not to experience any of the failures mentioned in this post...I did however, have a fuel pump fail on me when BP and I were cruising down to Rob and Kpros two years ago....that was unexpected but other than that, no issues from my ///M thus far! :thumbsup

ranger
06-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Those who moved from a ZHP to a M3 - is there a difference in insurance cost and is it significant?

onepercent
06-02-2014, 02:08 PM
I experienced a minor increase in insurance cost, maybe $120/year IIRC. Probably worth noting that I also moved from a coupe to a vert, which I'm guessing is responsible for some of that increment.

mbeckel
06-03-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm not worried about insurance for this. It will be a paid off car (due to money from selling my zhp will go towards ///M) it shouldn't rise much

Sent from in the bushes

derbo
06-03-2014, 03:10 PM
insurance from a sedan to a coupe changes too :)

DDub88
06-04-2014, 01:00 AM
I recently made the switch from my 05 ZHP coupe to a 2003 M3 and my insurance jumped maybe $100/year. There are other factors that will play into the insurance scheme ie marital status, length of time with insurance company, age and all that other good stuff.

stephenkirsh
06-04-2014, 11:31 AM
There's really a difference in insurance between coupe and sedan? Sigh.

KevinC
06-04-2014, 06:43 PM
I pay about $1200/year - total for BOTH cars. Even the "criminal speeding" ticket I got 3 years ago didn't move my rates. 25 years with State Farm and no claims since '86 doesn't hurt.

mbeckel
06-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm deeply considering selling my dd civic and getting the m3

Sent from in the bushes

TigerTater
06-06-2014, 05:59 AM
I'm deeply considering selling my dd civic and getting the m3

Sent from in the bushes

Yes..DD the zhp...how much better does that sound that DD the civic..:roundel

mbeckel
06-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Yes..DD the zhp...how much better does that sound that DD the civic..:roundel

Would take getting used to

Sent from in the bushes

UdubBadger
06-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Did it just be prepared for everything to be about 30-50% more expensive too. The power upgrade isn't MASSIVE on paper but in real world the M puts down it's power so much more efficiently. Sometimes I forget the car is only 333hp 268tq because it's faster than a stock 335i

Goin' HAM mobile

UdubBadger
06-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Those who moved from a ZHP to a M3 - is there a difference in insurance cost and is it significant?

One went up an entire $11 a month

Goin' HAM mobile

mbeckel
06-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Did it just be prepared for everything to be about 30-50% more expensive too. The power upgrade isn't MASSIVE on paper but in real world the M puts down it's power so much more efficiently. Sometimes I forget the car is only 333hp 268tq because it's faster than a stock 335i

Goin' HAM mobile

Luckily this will NOT be a daily driver for me. But first, the wife wants her house. The ///M will follow. The only way I could get it now would be to unload the zhp. And I don't think I can do that, given my history with it.

Sent from in the bushes

danewilson77
06-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Agree. Stay true.

#dotherightthing

The friendliest forum on the planet.