PDA

View Full Version : ZHP Street survival and possible trans swap?

pilotnick1203
05-31-2014, 02:56 PM
Hey all!
I did street survival today and had a blast! Awesome fun around the track with a skid pad, cones, and slalom exercises. Great program, now an SCCA member on top of BMW club member, and plan on doing autocross. They mentioned that I was the best on the track (don't mean to sound that way) and should do autocross, so they taught me some stuff. Many instructors got in and asked me why I didn't have a manual. My dad mentioned that too and reckoned we should have gotten me a 6 speed. Background story on that is I got my car early so my mom could test them because she may want an e90. Big mistake, she would not allow a 6speed (know I know why, she cant drive them) :scratchinghead In hindsight, my dad and I should have ignored the griping and done the manual anyway. We did mention doing a 6 speed swap. Would that be extremely difficult? Is it worth it on a 100% great condition OEM ZHP? Should I go for a different ZHP w/ 6 speed? We also may get an e36 M3 Track car for fun too. 142011420214203

stephenkirsh
05-31-2014, 06:47 PM
It's not extremely difficult. It's done fairly often. I'm not sure of the costs, though.

Do you drive your auto in steptronic mode? I just did an all day of autocross with my auto. Worked just fine.

ELCID86
05-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Add an SMG M wheel would be a lot cheaper. Maybe try that first. I think Sean Pip has a DIY.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

pilotnick1203
05-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks. I think a trans swap is fairly expensive, doesn't look too complicated though. I don't think it needs new EMS and stuff? If I did it, I think I'd get a ZHP with a stock 6 speed so it's all OE or get the e36 my dad and I would share. Just a thought though. Yes, I do drive steptronic all the time, not a huge fan really my car makes odd noises if you toggle it to 1st gear. I had it in sport all day and it did fine.

stephenkirsh
06-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Odd noises? Sounds like something's broken.

I think the general consensus is that it's cheaper to just buy a manual than do the convert. There's special circumstances though.

ELCID86
06-01-2014, 11:43 AM
The SMG link in case you are interested.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5067-SMG-steering-wheel-retrofitted-to-auto-E46-doityourself

pilotnick1203
06-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Odd noises? Sounds like something's broken.

I think the general consensus is that it's cheaper to just buy a manual than do the convert. There's special circumstances though.

Yep. Tell ya what, a while back I noticed a bunch of tranny fluid on the garage floor and had the pan changed. Then I noticed another leak of trans fluid, they think it's a seal or pump (forgot the name) but are unsure. It requires dropping the transmission and it's a 1000$ job. As of now I still drive it and monitor the fluid leakage, hope there isn't a problem with the trans all together. Problem is I'm almost attached to the car, I think selling it would be tough considering the work I've put into it to make it even better (fixed ac, oil pan, brakes, control arm bushings, blower motor, chip repair, the list keeps going). I smelled some burning after one fairly long drive in step and downshifting to 1st, also seemed out of the ordinary (maybe not, probably hot exhaust) That being said I really only have 4 gears I feel comfortable with. Still love the car though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilotnick1203
06-01-2014, 06:48 PM
The SMG link in case you are interested.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5067-SMG-steering-wheel-retrofitted-to-auto-E46-doityourself

Thanks, will look into. Talked about doing that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk