PDA

View Full Version : New member in NOVA

zhp05jb
06-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Hell everyone.

I recently purchased the 05 Jet Black MT ZHP from my neighbor. This is my first BMW and I am glad that I was able to find one with low mileage (75K).

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B1gROKhfXE6hUFl5VlRVRW0zdVk

I took it to Sterling BMW for PPI and it came back without any major issues. The only thing it needs right now is an oil change and fix couple of bent rims (minor).

Looking forward to being part of this forum.

Oli77
06-02-2014, 03:24 AM
Welcome you back end parker you! Like the way it drives?

Car looks great.

zhp05jb
06-02-2014, 03:35 AM
Funny you mentioned it. Didn't realize "Front End Parking Only" sign until I posted the picture.

I haven't had a chance to drive her much since I just got the title (seller had lien on it). Once I get the tag, I will have some more updates on how it feels. So far, it is a very different feeling compared to my 16-yr old DD (Honda Prelude).

danewilson77
06-02-2014, 03:45 AM
Welcome

ELCID86
06-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Welcome. I live down in Stafford.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

NoVAphotog
06-02-2014, 04:08 AM
Congrats and welcome! I'm in Vienna, always nice to see another NoVA ZHP!

zhp05jb
06-02-2014, 04:15 AM
NoVAphotog,

Where do you take your car to get work done? My neighbor recommends Curry's on Rt. 7 but I was wondering if there are other options in Reston/Herndon area.

Vas
06-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Welcome to another nova member. Post more pics when you get the chance.

zhp05jb
06-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Once I get a chance to wash it, I plan to take it out of the cave to take some pictures.

oldzilla
06-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Welcome

NoVAphotog
06-02-2014, 07:50 AM
NoVAphotog,

Where do you take your car to get work done? My neighbor recommends Curry's on Rt. 7 but I was wondering if there are other options in Reston/Herndon area.

I just got the car back in March so I haven't taken it to any of the local shops yet, other than the inspection at the local station in Vienna and an alignment at the dealer. I've been focusing on DIY while making a list of items I'd like to take it in for. That said, I'm planning on taking my car to Green Motorsport in Springfield in the near future as they come highly recommended from another local member/friend on here, BCS_ZHP. They just recently held a meetup/BBQ this past weekend and the owner seems like a great guy who is involved with the shop/work being done, I look forward to meeting him.

http://www.greenmotorsportservice.com/

Road Race Technologies (RRT) in Dulles is highly regarded as well. I know my friend who lives in Reston swears by them and I've seen the work they've done with his 540i M-Sport to be top notch; and that car has double the headaches of ours! There is a group on Facebook for ZHP's as well which you can join, might be a good idea to post on there and get some other opinions from folks in the area.

http://www.rrtracing.com/

zhp05jb
06-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info, NoVAphotog. I heard of RRT and wanted to check them out in near future. I do most of my Honda's maintenance myself so hopefully working on e46 is as easy.

By the way, do you go to Katie's in Great Falls on Saturday morning for Car & Coffee? I see a few ZHP's there once in a while.

ELCID86
06-02-2014, 09:12 AM
I think you'll find the Bimmer as easy if not easier than the Honda.

If anyone wants to watch/help with OFHG and cooling system this weekend let me know!

NoVAphotog
06-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info, NoVAphotog. I heard of RRT and wanted to check them out in near future. I do most of my Honda's maintenance myself so hopefully working on e46 is as easy.

By the way, do you go to Katie's in Great Falls on Saturday morning for Car & Coffee? I see a few ZHP's there once in a while.

No problem. And based on my limited time with the car it definitely isn't as bad as people make it seem.

Also, the amount of info online for these cars is staggering, this forum for one, has been a great asset. Folks on here know pretty much everything about these cars having had them for a long time.

And I have yet to bring my Zhp there, although I have been many times over the years. I recently detailed her and believe we are ready to attend together lol That said, we should both plan on a morning and get in the lineup next to each other. (Maybe get a few others from the area there as well)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

ELCID86
06-02-2014, 09:26 AM
No problem. And based on my limited time with the car it definitely isn't as bad as people make it seem.

Also, the amount of info online for these cars is staggering, this forum for one, has been a great asset. Folks on here know pretty much everything about these cars having had them for a long time.

And I have yet to bring my Zhp there, although I have been many times over the years. I recently detailed her and believe we are ready to attend together lol That said, we should both plan on a morning and get in the lineup next to each other. (Maybe get a few others from the area there as well)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

But it's SO early...

NoVAphotog
06-02-2014, 09:31 AM
I think you'll find the Bimmer as easy if not easier than the Honda.

If anyone wants to watch/help with OFHG and cooling system this weekend let me know!

Shawn, where/when?

ELCID86
06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Shawn, where/when?

Looking like Sat a.m. at my house. Will also do VCG and install new Vanos and plugs.

johnrando
06-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Welcome. Great find.

NoVAphotog
06-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Looking like Sat a.m. at my house. Will also do VCG and install new Vanos and plugs.

Sounds good.

Vas
06-02-2014, 10:20 AM

This is very tempting.

ELCID86
06-02-2014, 10:26 AM
See my thread I just updated (don't want to highjack this one too much) and come over if you want. I only have a one (usable) bay garage unfortunately.

zhp05jb
06-02-2014, 10:51 AM
That would be cool.. once my car gets clean... Jet Black gets dirty so fast here in DC area.

ELCID86
06-02-2014, 10:57 AM
That would be cool.. once my car gets clean... Jet Black gets dirty so fast here in DC area.

Oh yeah. So does orient (dark) blue.

Avetiso
06-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Welcome!

zhp05jb
06-03-2014, 07:11 AM
So far, I've driven the car for about 40 miles and I am really enjoying it. Can't believe how torquey the engine feels. It pulls a lot harder than I expected, even in 5th/6th gear. I'm not used to its long clutch travel and shift throw but I'm sure more seat time will solve the issue. Plan to wash it this weekend and will post some pictures.

NoVAphotog
06-03-2014, 07:23 AM
So far, I've driven the car for about 40 miles and I am really enjoying it. Can't believe how torquey the engine feels. It pulls a lot harder than I expected, even in 5th/6th gear. I'm not used to its long clutch travel and shift throw but I'm sure more seat time will solve the issue. Plan to wash it this weekend and will post some pictures.

Definitely get used to it slash you could do the clutch stop mod to help alleviate some of that.

http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/clutch-stop-mod-aka-perfect-clutch-stop/

Looking forward to pics! :roundel

zhp05jb
06-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Took a few quick shots this evening.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B1gROKhfXE6hZ1VSYmN3RF9rTmM
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B1gROKhfXE6hM3FXNkh0eERFOE0
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B1gROKhfXE6hQ1FmTlNpZEUtSzg
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B1gROKhfXE6hUWJGdU81WldxZk0

ELCID86
06-03-2014, 04:55 PM
I love a clean black car!

zhp05jb
06-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Previous owner kept the car really clean... hopefully I can follow his suit.

johnrando
06-03-2014, 05:25 PM
:like

NoVAphotog
06-04-2014, 05:42 AM
:drool

Looks great...I had four black cars in a row and said I was done with them, but that doesn't stop me from thinking they look the best when clean!

imola red zhp
06-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Welcome!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zhp05jb
06-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks a lot for warm welcomes and complements.

:drool

Looks great...I had four black cars in a row and said I was done with them, but that doesn't stop me from thinking they look the best when clean!

Yes, I do agree that black looks the best when clean but it's the inbetween that's tough.

ELCID86
06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks a lot for warm welcomes and complements.

Yes, I do agree that black looks the best when clean but it's the inbetween that's tough.
That's why I swore I'd never own another. :-)

Vas
06-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Man that sure does look good.

BCS_ZHP
06-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Congrats on your acquisition. I'm down in Fairfax Station, normally available for FYI advice/help but not going to be available too much for the next 3-4 weeks. Had a proposal dropped on me last Friday, 52 hours in already this week as of tonight, do the math, I don't have much free time right now. Mods, please don't put me in the MIA category, I'll be back in a month or so. Again, great buy on a nice car.

zhp05jb
06-05-2014, 04:27 AM
Congrats on your acquisition. I'm down in Fairfax Station, normally available for FYI advice/help but not going to be available too much for the next 3-4 weeks. Had a proposal dropped on me last Friday, 52 hours in already this week as of tonight, do the math, I don't have much free time right now. Mods, please don't put me in the MIA category, I'll be back in a month or so. Again, great buy on a nice car.

Thanks for the offer. The car is good to go for now (has 75K miles on it) but I'll try to tackle Inspection service II when 80K comes.

fredo
06-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome, sir ! You will like this forum.

ELCID86
12-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Still out there?

ELCID86
11-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Still out there?

Bump