PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

Fat-Ham
06-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Dumb question but is there any special tools or procedures I need to change my brake pads on the zhp? I was told before that BMW's need a special tool to do brakes? Was I fed bs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smilez
06-10-2014, 07:35 AM
All you need is (if i'm not mistaken) a Torx T45 socket, a wrench, flathead screw driver (to remove clip) and a C-clamp to compress the piston back in.

Newjack
06-10-2014, 07:38 AM
And brake pads from Ray.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

johnrando
06-10-2014, 08:59 AM
No special tool that I know of.

LivesNearCostco
06-10-2014, 09:23 AM
I use a 7mm hex socket to remove the caliper pins but assume that a T45 socket can be used instead. I found using two screwdrivers made it easier to remove the anti-rattle clip than using just one screwdriver--use one to pry clip away from center of rotor (towards edge of rotor) then 2nd to pry clip towards you away from the car. If removing rotor, also need 16mm socket (can use 5/8" instead) and 6mm hex socket and PB blaster or bit to remove rotor hold down screw.

derbo
06-10-2014, 10:11 AM
I use a 7mm hex socket for the caliper guide pins, flat head screwdriver. 6mm hex for the rotor screw, 16mm for the caliper brackets. hammer to unloosen stuck rotors. I have a caliper reset tool that I use to reset the piston if my hand cannot do it manually.

To remove the spring clip, I put the flathead screwdriver inbetween the rotor hub and the spring clip. I move the screwdriver handle towards to spring clip to compress it and it usually pops right out. :)

Fat-Ham
06-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Sweet thanks! I'll be putting my hawk hps pads on this weekend :)

jakksfor20
06-11-2014, 05:40 AM
I use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the spring clip. Fought with it on my car for a couple of tries and decided on different avenue. Plus it doesn't have a tendency to jump out using pliers.