PDA

View Full Version : About to take the leap, which one to choose?

Wisco
07-01-2014, 05:10 PM
I have my eye on two 2006 330CiC ZHP 'Verts, both with about 60K miles on them and at a similar price. Both seem to have decent, but not old school level, maintenance from their respective Car Fax reports. This would be a 3rd car to enjoy, but not be a daily driver

1. One is a non-CPO from a BMW dealer and the other is from CarMax.
2. One is triple black while the other is Imola with a tan interior

Any thoughts on which one to buy? I know I'm changing all the fluids once I buy...:cigar

Wisco

danewilson77
07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Not even a question really.

IR/Tan

You can get a Honda or a Toyota in black.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

BCS_ZHP
07-01-2014, 05:34 PM
IMO, triple black may be a bit too hot in the summer time, you'll spend more time with the top up & a/c on to be comfortable. The tan interior should be a bit cooler. However, on either one you'll need to sit on towels if it's been sitting out in the sun with the top down, leather gets hot, Alcantara seats are the only cure for that.

One is from a dealer but not CPO because it's too old to be a CPO car per BMW's rules, so no warranty. On the other hand, CarMax does offer a warranty on some cars, and I've heard their warranty is quite comprehensive.

danewilson77
07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Oh sheet. Guest appearance.

Good seeing you around Bruce.

WolfBMW
07-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Imola/tan!

BCS_ZHP
07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Oh sheet. Guest appearance.

Good seeing you around Bruce.

The proposal I took on in May was delivered yesterday, I'm slowly trying to catch up to the real world again.

danewilson77
07-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Congrats Bruce.

az3579
07-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Triple black.

I'm sure Rando would approve.

johnrando
07-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Abso-freakin-lutely triple black! But you can't go wrong with either. Look at all the IR owners on this site who settled for the 2nd best color, you'd be in good company. :biggrin. Really though, whatever floats your boat.

Vas
07-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Which one is the manual?

Wisco
07-01-2014, 07:05 PM
They're both manuals. It's a driving machine, duh :-)

Which one is the manual?

3ZHPGUY
07-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Personally I would go for the one at the dealer. We recently traded in a 06 330CIc with the sport package. The car needed a few grand in quoted service and I know they did the service before they sold it. I also know that car no longer qualified for CPO but, will sill be a very good car for the future owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wisco
07-02-2014, 05:16 AM
That's the question now isn't it. From the CarFax, it looks like BMW recommended maintenance was performed, but to get this car back into great shape it's going to take $1000+ of fluid changes and maybe the preventative water pump/coolant system replacement.

The Imola car is about a $1000 less from CarMax than the black car from a BMW dealer, so I think I'll go with it and go straight to my trusted local BMW shop and spend the "money saved" on the purchase for service. Hopefully a wash if the higher BMW dealer price is reflective of service performed.

Carmax is shipping the car from another store to my local store, so I'll keep you posted.

The Imola car was leased by the first owner for about 3 years with only 16K miles put on. It was then sold as a CPO and drive for another 4 years by the second owner up to about 60K miles. Although it does not have an "old school" service record, it seems worth the risk.

I recently saw a VW Beetle with this red exterior/tan interior color combo and fell in love. My 328i is Sapphire Black with terra brown leather interior, so why not get a different color for a 'Vert, especially with this awesome summer car color combination.

From the database on this site, it seems that only fifteen 2006 Imola/Sand Beige manual tranny CiC were brought into the US! A rare car to boot!

Personally I would go for the one at the dealer. We recently traded in a 06 330CIc with the sport package. The car needed a few grand in quoted service and I know they did the service before they sold it. I also know that car no longer qualified for CPO but, will sill be a very good car for the future owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ELCID86
07-02-2014, 05:39 AM
I vote IR. I am not a fan of keeping black cars clean and I agree with Bruce about the heat. CarMax has a very good extended warranty according to my local independent shop. You may want to consider it. Most of the maintenance needed could be a great getting-to-know-you DIY project. Don't be afraid to take it on.

NoVAphotog
07-02-2014, 06:35 AM
The proposal I took on in May was delivered yesterday, I'm slowly trying to catch up to the real world again.

Congrats and welcome back Bruce! Might have to have a ZHP photoshoot to celebrate soon, get Shawn/Colin up here as well.

Also, my vote is IR/tan, while I generally frown upon Carmax, I have heard good things about their warranties and it certainly would be cooler. We are in the middle of our first summer heat wave here and the black leather is getting toasty even after just a short time in a parking lot or the like. Makes getting the windows tinted THAT much more appealing even though I like the fishbowl look...

az3579
07-02-2014, 08:34 AM
If you go with tan then just note that the amount of tan is overwhelming. I don't feel BMW did a good job with the tan and grey interiors.

If they two-toned it like with Natural Brown then they would both be awesome. Just keep that in the back of your mind that EVERYTHING apart from the top part of the dash and headliner/pillars will be that color...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
07-02-2014, 08:51 AM
If you go with tan then just note that the amount of tan is overwhelming. I don't feel BMW did a good job with the tan and grey interiors.

If they two-toned it like with Natural Brown then they would both be awesome. Just keep that in the back of your mind that EVERYTHING apart from the top part of the dash and headliner/pillars will be that color...

+1 I do agree they did too much on tan/grey cars. Even parts of the dash. I still hope to spam Colin's sand interior for Nat. Brown as soon as I find a black carpet.

QC_ZHP
07-02-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted for truth from a tan owner. Its to the point where I've been debating on selling for a new combo. The tan shows dirt way too easily.

NorCalZman
07-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Look up Doug Demuro's blog posts on jalopnik about buying his luxury ride from Carmax (land rover). He has multiple articles about how much he has used the warrenty. And, he has taken it to the LR dealer to get this warrenty work done.

I personally will never own another black car. Way too much work.

cakM3
07-02-2014, 09:09 AM

I will add BMW did a very poor job with their tan and grey interiors....my ///M had the grey interior and I ended up "deleting" everything that was grey in favor for black. I figured if I was going for an interior with one color then black is a much cleaner look in my opinion.

As they say....to each their own...there are those who favor an all tan or grey interior... I for one, don't care for them.

Avetiso
07-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Abso-freakin-lutely triple black! But you can't go wrong with either. Look at all the IR owners on this site who settled for the 2nd best color, you'd be in good company. :biggrin. Really though, whatever floats your boat.

How do you and Dane even get along? :rofl

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TheFinanceGuy
07-02-2014, 09:56 AM

IR/Tan

^agreed.

fredo
07-02-2014, 11:00 AM
IMHO, one like this:

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/av1968/2006-vert_zps422e01c3.jpg

BCS_ZHP
07-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Though not one of your current choices, Sparkling graphite FTW. You get multiple colors depending on the sunshine. Where's Kayger to confirm this assessment???

danewilson77
07-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Kayger12 who? You mean Malik?

BCS_ZHP
07-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Kayger12 who? You mean Malik?

No, I meant the nobby knee'd, pale white Jersey boy who stays behind the curtain nowadays -- where are you brother Keith???

johnrando
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
How do you and Dane even get along? :rofl

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LOL

IR/Tan

But not in JET BLACK.

oldzilla
07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Triple black no question (jet black) best color ever..... Honestly whatever floats the boat for you, my experience with the 90 plus summers in CO has been fine for me, I have not found it to hot etc. I got my vert from Carmax the extended warranty is really good, I found that they did all the required maintenance and the initial 30 day warranty is truly no questions asked. Also they did the small stuff my tool kit was missing parts they ordered them for me at no cost, missing the owners manual and glovebox flashlight found them on Ebay and Carmax reimbursed me.

Wisco
07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Well I brought my new baby home today... and promptly lost it to my wife who said "the color is so beautiful!"

Smooth CarMax transaction, all clear and Inspection II from my trusted BMW shop and now the detailing begins. The interior and exterior need some TLC, but incoming Leatherique and Xymol from the car care box in the garage and we'll be back to 'purty in no time.

2006 ZHP CiC
Imola Red / Silver cube / Sand Beige
6MT
"Box stock"

danewilson77
07-22-2014, 07:18 AM
Congrats!

ELCID86
07-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Pictures??

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

WOLFN8TR
07-22-2014, 01:36 PM

IR/Tan

Abso-freakin-lutely triple black!

So Predictable...:rolleyes

Well I brought my new baby home today... and promptly lost it to my wife who said "the color is so beautiful!"

2006 ZHP CiC
Imola Red / Silver cube / Sand Beige
6MT
"Box stock"

Congrats!!!

danewilson77
07-22-2014, 02:01 PM
I ween!

JupiterBMW
07-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Whew, glad this purchase/debate was over before I had to come in here and teach both Dane AND rando a lesson... We all know Alpine WHITE is the supreme color, but alas, it wasn't a choice.

As for the interiors, I took dislike the all one color interiors, even all black. Its just too much of the same for me. And I would tend to agree, the beige will show dirt easier... Although, when I see pics, the Dove grey really appeals to me. To be honest, if I could get the door panel work done, I would probably do a Natural Brown styled interior, but in Dove Grey and Black... I think that would be TITS!

Side note, congrats to the owner, enjoy the new car! And post pics! :biggrin :thumbsup

Vas
07-22-2014, 03:36 PM
IMOLA Red FTMFW....:biggrin

pilotnick1203
07-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Imola. Hope it is a 6M/T

pilotnick1203
07-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Whew, glad this purchase/debate was over before I had to come in here and teach both Dane AND rando a lesson... We all know Alpine WHITE is the supreme color, but alas, it wasn't a choice.

As for the interiors, I took dislike the all one color interiors, even all black. Its just too much of the same for me. And I would tend to agree, the beige will show dirt easier... Although, when I see pics, the Dove grey really appeals to me. To be honest, if I could get the door panel work done, I would probably do a Natural Brown styled interior, but in Dove Grey and Black... I think that would be TITS!

Side note, congrats to the owner, enjoy the new car! And post pics! :biggrin :thumbsup

+1 love alpine. Love red, afraid I would get into too much trouble in one. Hence the TiAg, bit more stealth like :)

johnrando
07-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Congrats!

Wisco
08-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I finally got her gussied up with a hand wash, Griot Best of Show carnuba wax, Leatherique interior reconditioning and vinyl and rubber dressed the doors, trunk and convertible seals. My wrists hurt, but it's all good.

From the FAQ database, this is one of the 15 Imola/Sandbeige leather/silvercube 6MT 'Verts imported into the US. Late production, 6/2006, so leather steering wheel.

I had a complete Inspection II service done last week, which now includes new spark plugs. I'm going to flush and fill the manual tranny and diff before winter. Will be getting rid of the gen I Bridgestone RE050 RFT tires (yuk!!!!) and replacing with Conti DW on Wednesday.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HRFdUmkn0Wk/U96WdI6c6EI/AAAAAAAABw4/sksjlxsKwl4/w917-h688-no/P1010451.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-52DqtOwqrpE/U96WOwfBn9I/AAAAAAAABwo/APx6n2yJKRE/w917-h688-no/P1010447.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cW-dirn-Ttk/U96WO-Edc_I/AAAAAAAABwk/gVBDTmNRb-M/w917-h688-no/P1010448.JPG

One small issue with driver's side exterior seat bolster, but otherwise clean inside and out.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OEe7A84sWjo/U96WLdEMbtI/AAAAAAAABwQ/p80qfakfmPI/w1181-h665-no/P1010449.JPG

ELCID86
08-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Very nice. Congrats. Are you sure you don't want to go DWS tires or will you have a separate winter set (or store the car)? Try some Leatherique on the seats.

Wisco
08-03-2014, 12:37 PM
The photos are post-Leatherique treatment. Would a second treatment further clean things up?

I will go with the Conti DW as I plan to store this car for the Wisconsin winter. My daily driver e90 sedan has dedicated winter wheels/Blizzaks for the cold and snow.

Very nice. Congrats. Are you sure you don't want to go DWS tires or will you have a separate winter set (or store the car)? Try some Leatherique on the seats.

johnrando
08-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Really looks good.