PDA

View Full Version : Are we Cult-ish?

BCS_ZHP
07-10-2014, 06:57 PM
So my wife refers to my forum time as, "are you getting on your cult again?"

At first I denied it saying we're just a bunch of car enthusiasts with an affection for the ZHPs that we enjoy. Tonight she razed me again, so I googled it to try to debate her and found the below definition. Now, I actually think my wife has a fairly accurate explanation of my disease. It's surely not "misplaced" or about a "person" but it can at times be "excessive" and is definitely about a "thing", the ZHP. Your thoughts???

Cult - a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

Hornung418
07-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Yes indeed. We are a culture of not special car worshippers.

Sent from my GS3.

johnrando
07-10-2014, 07:42 PM
+1 I guess. But, it's not misplaced. :-)

derbo
07-10-2014, 08:06 PM
+1 I guess. But, it's not misplaced. :-)

But it's a excessive admiration. I guess we could say we are ZHP Cult...

NorCal-Dimitri
07-10-2014, 08:12 PM
We need ZHP Cult stickers.

Avetiso
07-10-2014, 08:35 PM
We are cult like.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Smilez
07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Bruce for cult leader. Say I

I

Avetiso
07-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Bruce for cult leader. Say I

I

Aye

NorCalZman
07-10-2014, 09:47 PM
No, of course not. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go sacrifice an Audi in front of my ZHP to make its spirit ready for another day.

Aamerh90
07-10-2014, 10:02 PM
No, of course not. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go sacrifice an Audi in front of my ZHP to make its spirit ready for another day.

LOL

Avetiso
07-10-2014, 10:07 PM

:rofl

BimmerWill
07-10-2014, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call it misplaced lol

derbo
07-10-2014, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call it misplaced lol

Misplaced OR Excessive admiration. :)

Au1994
07-11-2014, 03:00 AM
To the letter of the definition, yeah, I guess so.

Oh well...I haven't had anyone here ask me to wear a funny robe or drink some special kool-aid!

ELCID86
07-11-2014, 04:00 AM
As long as there's no purple Kool-Aid. Other purple automotive fluids may be ok, but I'm not sure about Royal Purple!

NoVAphotog
07-11-2014, 04:07 AM
As long as there's no purple Kool-Aid. Other purple automotive fluids may be ok, but I'm not sure about Royal Purple!

Ahahaha

NoVAphotog
07-11-2014, 04:10 AM
I would say by the definition, yes, but from experience, just a group of folks who all happen to like a particular car and are proud of that. Who all also happen to be down to earth, fun and nice people.

E_Rak
07-11-2014, 04:30 AM
I'm going to have to agree with novaphotog. I mean, I don't even own a zip and never have, but I still feel comfortable hehe. Just a group of enthusiasts who really like to hear about and trash about anything interesting

JupiterBMW
07-11-2014, 04:40 AM
Not one person raised the point that "excessive" is an opinion... What she may think is excessive, we may think to be just the right amount. So, I say my admiration is perfectly normal. Therefore, not a cult.

fredo
07-11-2014, 04:41 AM
The other day, I told my wife some things I have seen here (people swapping interiors, buying cars sight unseen, already on their 2nd or 3rd ZHP). She said: you guys are obsessed with those cars. :biggrin

slater
07-11-2014, 04:48 AM
hi, my name is peter... and i have a problem. :)

i think it's OK to like your car and seek friendship and share knowledge with fellow enthusiasts. however i'm sure some folks (myself included) spend a bit too much time on the forum (my work has been insane lately and i have not been on much - that's my excuse :) ).

my wife calls the forum "my internet friends" - as in, "would you rather spend time with your internet friends, or me?" i can totally appreciate where she is coming from, and i would and do spend more time with her... but i definitely admit that my brain is often filled and focused on car thoughts when it should be doing other things.

peter

ELCID86
07-11-2014, 05:06 AM
my wife calls the forum "my internet friends" - as in, "would you rather spend time with your internet friends, or me?"

peter

so true

but i definitely admit that my brain is often filled and focused on car thoughts when it should be doing other things.

SOO TRUE.

Smilez
07-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Not one person raised the point that "excessive" is an opinion... What she may think is excessive, we may think to be just the right amount. So, I say my admiration is perfectly normal. Therefore, not a cult.

YOU ARE RIGHT. Owning bunch of MAC make up products may be excessive in my opinion

BCS_ZHP
07-11-2014, 05:42 AM

Jon, I agree, my counter to her "cult" talk is to bring up her tennis obsession, she plays 4-5 times a week, is on 3 or 4 different teams, works at a racquet club, wears a tennis outfit to work most of the time, "normal" people can't fit that into their schedule (okay, maybe Rando does).

JupiterBMW
07-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Jon, I agree, my counter to her "cult" talk is to bring up her tennis obsession, she plays 4-5 times a week, is on 3 or 4 different teams, works at a racquet club, wears a tennis outfit to work most of the time, "normal" people can't fit that into their schedule (okay, maybe Rando does).

BOOM

/thread

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

328ioc
07-11-2014, 05:48 AM
If we are in fact a cult then who's got the cow bell?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/11/8a5aqyze.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KevinC
07-11-2014, 05:53 AM
"It's not a cult, it's a club."

http://middleclasshell.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TOM-CRUISE-FIGHTS-ALIENS.jpg

Smilez
07-11-2014, 05:56 AM
"It's not a cult, it's a club."

http://middleclasshell.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TOM-CRUISE-FIGHTS-ALIENS.jpg

You right, they day we start oppressing other vehicles like:

Mercedes are a soft car with no feel for the road.
Audi has electrical problems
Hondas are Ricer cars
Nissan, end of the day it's still a nissan.

Thats the day we are considered a cult.

johnrando
07-11-2014, 06:48 AM

The other day, I told my wife some things I have seen here (people swapping interiors, buying cars sight unseen, already on their 2nd or 3rd ZHP). She said: you guys are obsessed with those cars. :biggrin

True dat. My wife knows this about me.

hi, my name is peter... and i have a problem. :)

i think it's OK to like your car and seek friendship and share knowledge with fellow enthusiasts. however i'm sure some folks (myself included) spend a bit too much time on the forum (my work has been insane lately and i have not been on much - that's my excuse :) ).

my wife calls the forum "my internet friends" - as in, "would you rather spend time with your internet friends, or me?" i can totally appreciate where she is coming from, and i would and do spend more time with her... but i definitely admit that my brain is often filled and focused on car thoughts when it should be doing other things.

peter

Funny, William's wife used to call me "that guy you met on the internet" until I met her. Separately, my wife asked me the same. She wondered if it was "conversing" with the forum more than her 1st thing in the morning. I explained to her that it wasn't that, but that I was viewing the forum as a moderator and sometimes commenting.

Yup, that's my other cult. :)

cakM3
07-11-2014, 06:58 AM

I remember you and Gigi talking about this when I was over visiting. I got a kick out of hearing Gigi referring the ZHP Mafia forum as a "cult"....hearing both of you talk about this and you bringing up Gigi's tennis obsession was classic! :biggrin

it was good to sit and watch this Bruce :) I have my obsessions and I'm sure there are plenty here who know what they are...;)

danewilson77
07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
So my wife refers to my forum time as, "are you getting on your cult again?"

At first I denied it saying we're just a bunch of car enthusiasts with an affection for the ZHPs that we enjoy. Tonight she razed me again, so I googled it to try to debate her and found the below definition. Now, I actually think my wife has a fairly accurate explanation of my disease. It's surely not "misplaced" or about a "person" but it can at times be "excessive" and is definitely about a "thing", the ZHP. Your thoughts???

Cult - a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

I don't think we are a cult. I do not think we fit the definition. "Excessive" is pretty broad by definition. Do I have admiration for my ZHP? Yes. Is it excessive? No. Not in my opinion.

I think we are a bunch that likes to take care of most of the items we have. Homes, cars, kids, family, etc....

ryankokesh
07-11-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't think we are a cult. I do not think we fit the definition. "Excessive" is pretty broad by definition. Do I have admiration for my ZHP? Yes. Is it excessive? No. Not in my opinion.

I think we are a bunch that likes to take care of most of the items we have. Homes, cars, kids, family, etc....

I'd agree with this. I think the pro-cult argument is also very strong though. I know there's a negative connotation to the word, but I don't have a problem with it. I'm comfortable with my excessive admiration :)

ELCID86
07-11-2014, 10:17 AM
+1
adjective: passionate: showing or caused by strong feelings or a strong belief.

ryankokesh
07-11-2014, 10:19 AM
+1
adjective: passionate: showing or caused by strong feelings or a strong belief.

Passionate, cult; tomaytoe, tomato. :)

johnrando
07-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Well, the question was cult-ISH. Cults do have negative connotations. Cult-ISH in the way of passion, etc.... yes.

Johnmadd
07-11-2014, 11:04 AM

:spit :mob

WolfBMW
07-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Haha this thread is cute. But I think the more alarming question is, are we really a mafia!

Sockethead
07-11-2014, 11:07 AM
You should see the looks my wife, Kpro and I get from "normal" people when we tell them we met on a BMW forum... :)

WolfBMW
07-11-2014, 11:09 AM
You should see the looks my wife, Kpro and I get from "normal" people when we tell them we met on a BMW forum... :)

That might be one of those things where everyone thinks it's weird until they've done/seen it. My mom is all about gardening and she's made a bunch of good friends through GardenWeb--they meet up and swap plants and dig in the dirt together. There are all sorts!

Smilez
07-11-2014, 11:27 AM

wait you married kpro?

BCS_ZHP
07-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Geez, Ray, the SoCal sun must be frying your brain. Not only married but twins came along a year ago, there's a thread on the boys.

Smilez
07-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Geez, Ray, the SoCal sun must be frying your brain. Not only married but twins came along a year ago, there's a thread on the boys.

HAHA, about that time I was really non existence. Had a lot of things going on in my life. As you can tell I'm here a lot more now a days.

slater
07-11-2014, 11:53 AM

that's awesome.

i have a similar story - met my wife on an email mailing list for a band we both liked, back in 1997! ironically, the band was called 'failure' - ha!

peter

Smilez
07-11-2014, 11:55 AM
that's awesome.

i have a similar story - met my wife on an email mailing list for a band we both liked, back in 1997! ironically, the band was called 'failure' - ha!

peter

wife friend requested me on MYSPACE.

True Story Bro

johnrando
07-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Good stories Slater, Ray.

Sockethead
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Man, great stories!
Here's the thread Ray... check out the boys on the last page in their ///M shirts... very cult-ish.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10653-Please-welcome-two-new-mafioso-members-into-the-brotherhood

Here's the other one.... Good times!
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8889-Mafioso-couple-gets-engaged

Smilez
07-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Well belated congrats. I remember back in the day in bimmerforums everyone would flirt with her :rofl: Glad you were able to reel her in . :thumbup:

Sockethead
07-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Yeeaa... I was probably the only one that didn't, haha!
Thanks for the congrats! I will pass it on to her :)

kpro
07-11-2014, 02:54 PM
zhpmafia not a cult. Charlie...maybe a cult :) luv ya brotha'

...my post of the month. Gawd, I wish I had time to post more often.

cakM3
07-11-2014, 03:24 PM

:biggrin luv you guys too :thumbsup

danewilson77
07-11-2014, 03:26 PM
wait you married kpro?

danewilson77
07-11-2014, 03:27 PM
We need a "How I met my significant other" thread in the Members Only subforum.

Smilez
07-11-2014, 03:58 PM
We need a "How I met my significant other" thread in the Members Only subforum.

Do it. I'm sure a better love story than notebook. Just saying.

BCS_ZHP
07-11-2014, 06:20 PM

KPro, no we're not a cult, it's perfectly normal to drive 120 miles to swap wheels/tires in a parking lot before a meet to look good...and yes, your 1-dirty-5 looked marvelous! Lol!!
Bruce

jwalther
07-12-2014, 03:31 AM

peter

My wife says the same thing. I'm an active bicyclist, and my wife has what she characterizes as "death fantasies" with me getting run over by a semi on some deserted road. She envisions all these people she doesn't know-my internet friends from car/bike/watch forums-showing up at my funeral.

fredo
07-12-2014, 03:56 AM
My wife says the same thing. I'm an active bicyclist, and my wife has what she characterizes as "death fantasies" with me getting run over by a semi on some deserted road. She envisions all these people she doesn't know-my internet friends from car/bike/watch forums-showing up at my funeral.

Replace the semi with a Mercedes/Audi and yes, I would attend your funeral.

ELCID86
07-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Replace the semi with a Mercedes/Audi and yes, I would attend your funeral.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

johnrando
07-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Kris and Rob, we miss you both around here but it's great to see you pop in every once in awhile. And rofl at the mafia funeral.

WOLFN8TR
07-12-2014, 07:37 AM
:theman:theman:theman:theman
DW is the Wise One! Praise DW!

That's Cult-ish!
:thumbup

Oli77
07-12-2014, 11:40 AM
DW is the leader of this forum, where we share our passion for the E46, for food, drinks, cooking, house renovations, and family (in no particular order mind you).

Not a cult, we are not misplaced. We are however, nerds.

And it was nice to see Kpro chime in.

johnrando
07-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Not all of us. :-)

330i ZHP
07-15-2014, 05:14 PM
for me, cars (all motorized vehicles, engines, tools, etc) are my cult