PDA

View Full Version : faulty brake wear sensor

bloodspatteranalyst
07-24-2014, 07:04 AM
I noticed that my brake wear sensor was disconnected from its slot in the front pad. Shouldn't this trip a brake light? Because it didn't... :/

RITmusic2k
07-24-2014, 07:49 AM
The brake wear sensor is actually a sacrificial part, meaning: there's a little piece of wire at the end of the sensor with electrical current running through it. This tip is usually mounted at the same depth as the "replace now" zone of the brake pad. As the pad wears down, the wire at the end of the sensor gets severed and the car recognizes that current is no longer able to flow through the sensor, thus tripping off the brake light.

So, if the sensor itself is intact and plugged into the sensor cable, you won't get an indicator light no matter where it's physically located.

EDIT:
I actually have the opposite problem. The cable that plugs into the sensor has been severed somewhere along its path under my hood. Since a broken wire means "replace the brakes now", my brake wear indicator light is always on, regardless of the condition of the sensor. The computer has no way of telling the difference between a broken wire in the sensor and a broken wire in the cable. Yes, this is something I should fix... I just haven't had any luck tracing the wire to find the break yet.

Smilez
07-24-2014, 07:57 AM
what he said --^

bloodspatteranalyst
07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
I get it now. Thanks!

When I took the sensor out to do my front brakes, I lost the metal retaining clip that holds it in place. I'll just get a new one and re-insert the brake sensor the next time I happen to have the wheel off.

Not a huge issue since I inspect my brakes from time to time anyway..

danewilson77
07-24-2014, 01:06 PM
I get it now. Thanks!

When I took the sensor out to do my front brakes, I lost the metal retaining clip that holds it in place. I'll just get a new one and re-insert the brake sensor the next time I happen to have the wheel off.

Not a huge issue since I inspect my brakes from time to time anyway..
+1

The friendliest forum on the planet!

derbo
07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
I removed my brake sensor and its just shorted at both ends. I don't need a sensor to tell me my brakes are dead.

ryankokesh
07-24-2014, 02:43 PM
I removed my brake sensor and its just shorted at both ends. I don't need a sensor to tell me my brakes are dead.

Not using mine either. Brake sensors are for wusses. I'm clearly hard core. :rock

Sent from my iPhone

derbo
07-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Not using mine either. Brake sensors are for wusses. I'm clearly hard core. :rock

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think I bought a wear sensor ever. LOL

ryankokesh
07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't think I bought a wear sensor ever. LOL

Bad. Ass.
http://i.imgur.com/LNghgRV.png

Sent from my iPhone

Avetiso
07-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Bad. Ass.
http://i.imgur.com/LNghgRV.png

Sent from my iPhone
:rofl

bloodspatteranalyst
07-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah my friend told me that a lot of E46 owners just clip the sensor to the shock tower or something like that.

derbo
07-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah my friend told me that a lot of E46 owners just clip the sensor to the shock tower or something like that.

Yup, Mine is tied up with a ziptie to the fender panel where the end of the sensor is connected to. I check my brakes enough where I should be able to judge when I am almost out of material.

ryankokesh
07-25-2014, 04:06 AM
Yup, Mine is tied up with a ziptie to the fender panel where the end of the sensor is connected to. I check my brakes enough where I should be able to judge when I am almost out of material.

+1 on the brake sensor zip tie club.

Sent from my iPhone

Smilez
07-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Most of us have cool wheels :eeps, so we can peak inside and know if pads are almost out.

ryankokesh
07-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Most of us have cool wheels :eeps, so we can peak inside and know if pads are almost out.

Just because your wheels have a flower on them doesn't make them cool, ray. geeze.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/beetle_daisy_wheels_lg.jpg

Smilez
07-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Just because your wheels have a flower on them doesn't make them cool, ray. geeze.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/beetle_daisy_wheels_lg.jpg

REALLY depends who you ask you know haha

ryankokesh
07-25-2014, 07:06 AM
REALLY depends who you ask you know haha

:rofl

Sent from my iPhone