PDA

View Full Version : New member in Orlando,FL. Prospective ZHP owner.

East_E46
08-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Hello all. I'm 22 years old, in college and I've loved BMW's ever since my dad had 2 E30's & an E36 when i was young. My first car was given to me by my father. A '02 Accord EX-V6 coupe. This thing was in pristine condition, I love the car. During 6 years of ownership it has never failed to turn on for me barring no gas or a dead battery. But I'm not 16 anymore and although I like the accord, it's boring as all hell and slow as a pig. I've managed to save about $7000 cash during the last few years, and I think it's time to indulge myself because I work so hard. I had my mind set on a 335i but many people talked me out of it, mostly because I realistically can't afford a $25k car. The ZHP seems like an awesome alternative. I mean, straight line performance is no comparison, stock to stock, let alone if the 335i has a tune. But I just want a car that's fun to drive, reasonably reliable (I can turn my own wrenches), & practical enough that it won't piss off my GF or my parents. From all the reading and research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that the ZHP just might be my perfect next car. Not to mention the perfect first Bimmer, for a true BMW enthusiast, much more so than any regular old 335i, anyway.

Do you think this car would be good for me?

Budget is about 12k
Must be a 6mt coupe
What's the true cost of ownership on these things?

Thanks guys!

ELCID86
08-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Welcome. We have several young guns here can give you their perspective. Others can comment on TCO ( I think there are at least 1-2 threads on that).

I just saw this car on CL and posted a link here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?13691-2004-bmw-330-ci-zhp-SG-Alc-6MT-10-000-%28harrisonburg-VA%29 No heated seats, but probably not a big deal in FL.

CarbonZHP
08-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Ill agree that its quite hard to stack up to the 335 tuned. Even the M3 has trouble. I was out ahead of one on the freeway going about 120. All of a sudden he pulled and literally shot by me. Mustve been doing 150. Now I can say this. Ive driven the newer models. Including a 2014 F06 Gran Coupe 640. Absolute buckets of power and speed, but...doesnt feel like it. After driving it for a week and getting back in the ZHP, it felt like I was doing 100 at 40. Its so much more analog, a drivers car. So go with the ZHP. Itll make everyone happy, including the girlfriend and you. Also mine cost 12k for a 106k mile Vert. Your budget should work. Oh, and HR Sports ;)

johnrando
08-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Welcome. GL with your search/decision. I'll let others chime in on the "true" cost but the good news on E46s is that you can DIY a ton of stuff and save money.

Oli77
08-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Great idea for a car. I wish I had done it myself. My 325 is great nevertheless.

danewilson77
08-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Welcome

The friendliest forum on the planet.

poke08
08-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Hello all. I'm 22 years old, in college and I've loved BMW's ever since my dad had 2 E30's & an E36 when i was young. My first car was given to me by my father. A '02 Accord EX-V6 coupe. This thing was in pristine condition, I love the car. During 6 years of ownership it has never failed to turn on for me barring no gas or a dead battery. But I'm not 16 anymore and although I like the accord, it's boring as all hell and slow as a pig. I've managed to save about $7000 cash during the last few years, and I think it's time to indulge myself because I work so hard. I had my mind set on a 335i but many people talked me out of it, mostly because I realistically can't afford a $25k car. The ZHP seems like an awesome alternative. I mean, straight line performance is no comparison, stock to stock, let alone if the 335i has a tune. But I just want a car that's fun to drive, reasonably reliable (I can turn my own wrenches), & practical enough that it won't piss off my GF or my parents. From all the reading and research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that the ZHP just might be my perfect next car. Not to mention the perfect first Bimmer, for a true BMW enthusiast, much more so than any regular old 335i, anyway.

Do you think this car would be good for me?

Budget is about 12k
Must be a 6mt coupe
What's the true cost of ownership on these things?

Thanks guys!

Welcome! I'll be moving into my new place in Orlando this weekend so we can link up and you can check out/drive my ZHP if you'd like to get a feel for one.

East_E46
08-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and warm welcome.

Welcome! I'll be moving into my new place in Orlando this weekend so we can link up and you can check out/drive my ZHP if you'd like to get a feel for one.

That sounds like a dream man! Pm me.

328ioc
08-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Welcome.

I'm located in Melbourne, let me know if you are ever over near the beach and we will get a beer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fredo
08-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Welcome ! With that budget you will find one that is in very good shape.

oldzilla
08-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Welcome, good luck with your search.

mLuMaN83
08-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Welcome. Gainesville here, and hopefully relocating back to Orlando next year.

3ZHPGUY
08-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Welcome, good luck with your search.