PDA

View Full Version : Bmw carbon fiber strut bar for sale (not mine)

Bello-Bmw
08-07-2014, 03:37 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-BMW-E46-Carbon-Fiber-Strut-Brace-will-not-fit-M3-/171402323897?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e85fe7b9&vxp=mtr

TWong1200
08-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Nice. Damn tempting. It's a beauty

BumpinAlpine
08-07-2014, 09:12 PM
What's the point of spending so much money on something that just "looks cool" under the hood, where no one else really gets to see it, unless your showing your car?

Avetiso
08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
What's the point of spending so much money on something that just "looks cool" under the hood, where no one else really gets to see it, unless your showing your car?
Because we can. :rofl

johnrando
08-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Seriously? That's a question? Yeah, it's because we can, and because we know it's there. And, when we open ours hoods, we can enjoy the beauty. Finally, strut bars also serve a purpose.

BumpinAlpine
08-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Yea but you can spend $400 for a set of front and rear sway bars that are going to be exponentially more satisfying for the driving experience...

az3579
08-08-2014, 03:04 AM

Yea but you can spend $400 for a set of front and rear sway bars that are going to be exponentially more satisfying for the driving experience...

Sway bars will do nothing to help prevent strut tower mushrooming. Granted, there are far cheaper strut bars for sale, but if you get a smokin' deal on one of these carbon fiber ones, then it's worth the small premium over other bars for the looks aspect of it. Strut bars and sway bars serve different purposes.

Regardless, a lot of us didn't pay anywhere near the asking price in that eBay ad, so of course the right deal has to come along.

NoVAphotog
08-08-2014, 04:28 AM
Sway bars will do nothing to help prevent strut tower mushrooming. Granted, there are far cheaper strut bars for sale, but if you get a smokin' deal on one of these carbon fiber ones, then it's worth the small premium over other bars for the looks aspect of it. Strut bars and sway bars serve different purposes.

Regardless, a lot of us didn't pay anywhere near the asking price in that eBay ad, so of course the right deal has to come along.

This is the kicker, what is a smoking deal on these nowadays? When they had the fire sale, yes, that was smoking, literally, but now someone would have to have been under a rock and only ever seen them for sale at that price when selling theirs. Part of me just wants to buy this one so I can quit having this discussion every time one comes for sale. :shift I could sell it off for the same price I bought it because people in MADRID are desperate for these things...

az3579
08-08-2014, 04:36 AM
This is the kicker, what is a smoking deal on these nowadays? When they had the fire sale, yes, that was smoking, literally, but now someone would have to have been under a rock and only ever seen them for sale at that price when selling theirs. Part of me just wants to buy this one so I can quit having this discussion every time one comes for sale. :shift I could sell it off for the same price I bought it because people in MADRID are desperate for these things...

I bought mine for $500 or so.

NoVAphotog
08-08-2014, 05:32 AM
I bought mine for $500 or so.

Well BP...there it is...I'll wait to find one listed on eBay with a starting price of $500...and then watch it end up as Charlie's bathroom decor! :jealous

:drevil:wub

jwalther
08-08-2014, 06:21 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171401919024?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

:rockon

johnrando
08-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Of course you can. But we are are enthusiasts for a reason. Do both! :) Plus, strut bars do help prevent mushrooming, and on a vert, it can't hurt to have more rigidity. Sometimes it's the little things that set your car apart from the others. Finally, as we said before, the engine bling is worth it. :thumbsup

(Those are older pics, the oil cap is different now but still c/f).

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/DSC_0150.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/johnrando/media/DSC_0150.jpg.html)

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/2012-09-11105213.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/johnrando/media/2012-09-11105213.jpg.html)

danewilson77
08-08-2014, 07:06 AM
......unless your showing your car?

I just bought a Gruppe ///M intake, and we do a ton of stuff to our cars that no one see's. It's not really a valid question.

...And...pretty much everyone shows their cars.

johnrando
08-08-2014, 07:08 AM
This. Anytime we run into a fellow enthusiast or a mafia family member or a meet, your "showing" your car.

Vas
08-08-2014, 07:12 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171401919024?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That is insane for just an intake box.

johnrando
08-08-2014, 07:13 AM
It is. That's what they were brand new from the dealer before the fire sale.

gmurphy
08-08-2014, 07:20 AM
It is. That's what they were brand new from the dealer before the fire sale.

I'll tell you what intake doesn't cost that much ;). But I agree here. Everyone likes something and when it comes to these unspecial cars, everyone would like to have something unique.

NoVAphotog
08-08-2014, 07:30 AM
This. Anytime we run into a fellow enthusiast or a mafia family member or a meet, your "showing" your car.

+1

Definitely true.

jwalther
08-08-2014, 07:30 AM
That is insane for just an intake box.

That's for both. . .

johnrando
08-08-2014, 07:43 AM
I'll tell you what intake doesn't cost that much ;). But I agree here. Everyone likes something and when it comes to these unspecial cars, everyone would like to have something unique.

I agree. They were that much new from the dealer. I got mine for $300 during the fire sale.

cakM3
08-08-2014, 07:45 AM

really????

johnrando
08-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Yes. By that I mean, the first time we see a fellow members car, we check it out, right? You "show" them your car and the different mods on the car if they ask. Sometimes even strangers check out your car or talk to you about it. I was driving down the street the other day and a guy walking from across the street yells, "how low is your car. I like it". So obviously I'm not talking about having your car in a line up being judged at a car show.

danewilson77
08-08-2014, 08:23 AM
I think Charlie was being facetious.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

cakM3
08-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I think Charlie was being facetious.

Guilty as charged ;)

johnrando
08-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Ah

BumpinAlpine
08-08-2014, 10:32 AM
That CF bar is a work of art, dont get me wrong. I guess I'm just more performance oriented when it comes to spending big $$ on mods.

NoVAphotog
08-08-2014, 10:37 AM
That CF bar is a work of art, dont get me wrong. I guess I'm just more performance oriented when it comes to spending big $$ on mods.

To each their own is what it comes down to. I'd love to really start going at it modding my car on all fronts, but I'm more about a clean/lien free title, enjoying her how she is, peace of mind as far as the big ticket preventative maintenance items are concerned and working my way to "treating" myself to something like this down the road.

kakashi169
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I am just a whore...for bmw performance parts. Plus the bar and the splitters are my favourite mods. Now, all I need is the rear cf diffuser.

Happy camper none the less.

gmurphy
08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I am just a whore...for bmw performance parts. Plus the bar and the splitters are my favourite mods. Now, all I need is the rear cf diffuser.

I would say the same for myself. Except for another Performance Tuner. ;)

cakM3
08-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Yeah but do you have a Performance bar mounted on your wall in your living room Daniel??? ;)

Vas
08-08-2014, 11:56 AM

I agree. For that price there are mods that will provide a bigger gain ie. suspension/brakes/etc.

However I could see buying one as the last piece of the puzzle.

johnrando
08-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Yup, piece of the puzzle. It wouldn't have been my first purchase except for the low price and not wanting to miss out on cool parts that I thought would eventually go away. I'm actually running out of things to do to my car now. :-)

ELCID86
08-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Yup, piece of the puzzle. It wouldn't have been my first purchase except for the low price and not wanting to miss out on cool parts that I thought would eventually go away. I'm actually running out of things to do to my car now. :-)

Blasphemy ! :-)

BCS_ZHP
08-08-2014, 07:06 PM

We are not much different than our 4-legged canines, our "showing" / "viewing" each other's rides is essentially the equivalent of 2 dogs meeting for the first time and doing the customary butt sniff, lol.

mbeckel
08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
That's a steep price

kakashi169
08-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah but do you have a Performance bar mounted on your wall in your living room Daniel??? ;)

I have one mounted in my washroom. =D

cakM3
08-08-2014, 07:49 PM

Very nice Daniel :biggrin

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

NoVAphotog
08-08-2014, 08:24 PM

:ducking

WOLFN8TR
08-08-2014, 09:16 PM

The fact I now own both the BMW Performance CF Strut bar and Intake is entirely all John's fault!! I will never forget the time I removed the strut bar from John's car, dam that thing is light and what a work of art! No wonder Charlie has one mounted on his wall.

kakashi169
08-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Bet you cant buy just one.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2815/11973592324_01ae05eafa_c.jpg

cakM3
08-09-2014, 02:07 AM

You're right......I got three ;)

johnrando
08-09-2014, 08:45 AM
We are not much different than our 4-legged canines, our "showing" / "viewing" each other's rides is essentially the equivalent of 2 dogs meeting for the first time and doing the customary butt sniff, lol.

lmao

Sweet!

The fact I now own both the BMW Performance CF Strut bar and Intake is entirely all John's fault!! I will never forget the time I removed the strut bar from John's car, dam that thing is light and what a work of art! No wonder Charlie has one mounted on his wall.

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout.

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout x3!

This is part of why this is such a great place!

kakashi169
08-09-2014, 09:44 AM

You win sir. LOL

cakM3
08-10-2014, 02:42 AM
You win sir. LOL

:biggrin

Raptorman5174
08-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Yikes! $700! I think I would rather spend the money on my wife, and buy the ECS one that's about $209. Which looks pretty good.

BCS_ZHP
08-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Yikes! $700! I think I would rather spend the money on my wife, and buy the ECS one that's about $209. Which looks pretty good.

Sir, would you ever buy your wife a cubic-Z in lieu of a real diamond? Hell no! Then you should also never buy your baby anything other than a genuine BMW performance strut brace. Maybe I'm flawed in my thinking, but believe there are a few other nuts on here that think the same way I do.

danewilson77
08-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Sir, would you ever buy your wife a cubic-Z in lieu of a real diamond? Hell no! Then you should also never buy your baby anything other than a genuine BMW performance strut brace. Maybe I'm flawed in my thinking, but believe there are a few other nuts on here that think the same way I do.
Flawed.

danewilson77
08-13-2014, 06:09 PM
A well built "rigid" strut bar more closely resembles a "diamond" than a strut bar that merely looks good (cubic zirconia) and touts itself as a "Performance" part.

We can argue this all day long. I think it all depends on what you'll be expecting from the strut bar regarding looks and/or performance, and as always...to each his own.

The ECSTuning CF strut bar is every bit as good as the BMW Performance Strut bar. One is just more pretty and more admired than the other.

BCS_ZHP
08-13-2014, 06:16 PM
DW, unless you're truly tracking your ZHP and need the additional rigidity, the strut brace is purely bling. Most here don't track their babies, some do God bless ya. So IMHO, and some might disagree, if you're buying bling then buy the real bling. My dad used to tell me, "if you're going to play like a sport, be ready to pay like a sport", and where applicable I do.

johnrando
08-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Not flawed. It's bling that also serves a purpose, easily justified. Nothing wrong with going for something else with similar perf and lower cost though.

I think a single car should try to maintain a single philosophy if possible though. Use lower cost non OEM consistently throughout where possible or go full OEM quality where possible. It would be a little off to me to have too much a mix of OEM bling with non OEM bling. Of course it depends on the parts, etc.

az3579
08-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Not flawed. It's bling that also serves a purpose, easily justified. Nothing wrong with going for something else with similar perf and lower cost though.

I think a single car should try to maintain a single philosophy if possible though. Use lower cost non OEM consistently throughout where possible or go full OEM quality where possible. It would be a little off to me to have too much a mix of OEM bling with non OEM bling. Of course it depends on the parts, etc.

Regarding Genuine vs non-Genuine parts, it's a fine balance that has to be accomplished. For certain components, such as electrical parts, I learned that it's critical to use genuine parts. For other stuff, like getting poly bushings instead of genuine BMW bushings, it doesn't matter as much.

For something like a strut bar, it simply doesn't matter which one you get. On the street, they do nothing other than help prevent strut tower mushrooming, which any decent strut brace could do. So, in my opinion, the difference is the bling factor you desire.

If you want bling, none of them even compare to the BMW Carbon Fiber brace; it is hands down the best looking brace for our cars. If, however, you like the look of a much cheaper brace, go for that one. The BMW one is too much money, if you ask me. Yeah, I bought one... Dunno what I was thinking but I'm glad I already have it!

mbeckel
08-14-2014, 04:48 AM
DW, unless you're truly tracking your ZHP and need the additional rigidity, the strut brace is purely bling. Most here don't track their babies, some do God bless ya. So IMHO, and some might disagree, if you're buying bling then buy the real bling. My dad used to tell me, "if you're going to play like a sport, be ready to pay like a sport", and where applicable I do.
It's all subject to everyone's own personal taste. If you're buying a strut bar for performance and haven't upgraded your suspension first, that's flawed thinking. The strut bar isn't going to give your fly off your ass performance. But I own the ECS bar and would still prefer the BMW Performance bar over, I just didn't want to spend the money at this time.

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 05:04 AM
The BMW one is too much money

We have this :conversation every time one of these comes up for sale it seems like...but this is the main point. The going rate is $650-750+ at this point. If the seller knows what they have it will not be listed for less.

I've been looking at so many different things to do with my car, and as much as I would like to have one of those the only way I could do it now is happen to drive up to Rhode Island and "accidently" leave my ZHP in the carbon fiber whisperer's driveway and hope one appears beneath the hood...

Tires, wheels, cooling system refresh/CCV/sway bars, etc, etc all come in way ahead in the opportunity cost department. For those that can justify the bling to monetary expenditure ratio and want to get one, it's a very cool addition I'll give it that and one that is definitely on my wish list for when the time is right.

ELCID86
08-14-2014, 05:08 AM
Didn't I see Turner has a CF bar for about $300?

I do have one BMW bar and love the look. Not sure I'd pay over $500 for one though.

TomTomTuning
08-14-2014, 05:08 AM
I want one mainly for aesthetics, I think they look great. That being said, I cant justify spending $700 for an item just for aesthetics lol.

Vas
08-14-2014, 06:30 AM
E46 Factory M3 strut bar. End of story.

cakM3
08-14-2014, 06:53 AM
I've been looking at so many different things to do with my car, and as much as I would like to have one of those the only way I could do it now is happen to drive up to Rhode Island and "accidently" leave my ZHP in the carbon fiber whisperer's driveway and hope one appears beneath the hood...

I approve of this....never been called the carbon fiber whisperer before....I like it ;)

E46 Factory M3 strut bar. End of story.

Had one on my ///M....it was okay but I prefer the BMW Performance carbon fiber strut bar, so I got one for my ///M...

Vas
08-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Had one on my ///M....it was okay but I prefer the BMW Performance carbon fiber strut bar, so I got one for my ///M...

Does the same exact thing without the extra bling. So both bars are okay lol.

kakashi169
08-14-2014, 09:48 AM
When it comes to the OEM BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, there is no comparison.

Sure, its bling but you gotta pay to play and thats what BMW is all about.

Avetiso
08-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Love how this debate opens. Every. Single. Time.

Vas
08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
When it comes to the OEM BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, there is no comparison.

Sure, its bling but you gotta pay to play and thats what BMW is all about.

As far as doing the job of a strut brace, the whole point is to connect the two strut towers together and help with mushrooming. If you want to spend $500 or $700 or whatever on it, there is nothing wrong with that. However both bars will do the job just as effectively.

Its like having platinum teeth. Nobody sees them until you open your mouth and then

http://www.culturestarved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/friday-damn.jpg

johnrando
08-14-2014, 09:58 AM
As far as doing the job of a strut brace, the whole point is to connect the two strut towers together and help with mushrooming with BLING If you want to spend $500 or $700 or whatever on it, there is nothing wrong with that. However both bars will do the job just as effectively.

Its like having platinum teeth. Nobody sees them until you open your mouth and then

http://www.culturestarved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/friday-damn.jpg

FTFY.

kakashi169
08-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Love how this debate opens. Every. Single. Time.

Next Mafia reunion conversion starter.

cakM3
08-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Next Mafia reunion conversion starter.

Are you actually going to the next Mafia reunion Daniel????

mbeckel
08-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Are you actually going to the next Mafia reunion Daniel????
When and where will the next one take place? If the drive isn't too terribly far, I may have to swing it.

cakM3
08-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Whether the next reunion meet is in Ohio or mid-atlantic, I plan to make the drive and will be there :thumbsup

I'll have to decide which car to bring to the reunion ;)

mbeckel
08-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Whether the next reunion meet is in Ohio or mid-atlantic, I plan to make the drive and will be there :thumbsup

I'll have to decide which car to bring to the reunion ;)
Hopefully it's centralized a bit, more people may come, it would be awesome if we could get track time!