PDA

View Full Version : first road trip with the roof rack and carrier! is it an Avant replacement?

slater
08-11-2014, 11:52 AM
we just got back last night after a 10-day working vacation to VT/NH/ME. it was our first trip with a roof rack and carrier for the ZHP's litmus test as an 'Avant-replacement'.... (see sig for details)

it passed! woohoo!

the pic below is of our 7-year old son and the ZHP, with roof rack and storage. i just installed some 10mm front/12.5mm rear spacers (thanks connor!), which really improved stability and reduced initial body roll in corners. you can see how loaded the trunk is (completely :) - we had about 250lbs of stuff in there!).

big thanks to sean (pip) for the thule feet and load bars - they were in great shape and installed in 10mins - i love BMW's feet-mounting system.

i scored the 13 cubic-foot thule soft roof carrier locally for $50 - it was new and unopened! this has recently been discontinued by thule but it was about $350CAD new. i was pumped.

it installed easily and was very quiet, provided key additional storage space, and was easy to access if we needed anything. i did notice a pretty dramatic drop in MPGs on the highway though - about 5MPG, which is pretty significant. i wonder if the hard-shell thule carriers are any better, or if an 'aero-ramp' in front of the soft carrier would help?

we are taking the ZHP to PEI (Prince Edward Island) in september for our family vacation this year - it's about 3000KM (1925 miles) round-trip, and a lot of the driving will be through remote quebec and new brunswick, so i am going to be taking it off the road in a couple of weeks to do the following... the car is at 110K miles, so now is a good time:

- cooling system overhaul
- replace drive belts
- VANOS rebuild
- OFHG (it's weeping anyway)
- OEM M3 engine mounts
- UUC trans mounts
- replace DS center-support bearing
- rear subframe mounts (AKG 90A)
- RTABs (powerflex 95A)
- rear diff carrier bushings (ECS poly - soft)
- replace ebrake shoes
- replace rear rotors
- replace rear diff and trans fluild
- PS fluid flush
- replace fuel filter
- replace spark plugs
- replace CCV with catch can
- rear seat cupholders and 12v outlet for my kids :)

:)

peter

ELCID86
08-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Great picture and nice score on the Thule box, Peter. Nice list too.

How are you going to do the 12v outlet mod?

brettbimmer
08-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Looks great. Glad it's working well for you. Is it a soft Thule box? Never seen one.

Sent from my pineapple under the sea.

slater
08-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Great picture and nice score on the Thule box, Peter. Nice list too.

How are you going to do the 12v outlet mod?

thanks shawn! i picked up said parts when i was in the states last week - took advantage of the better shipping rates. :)

for the 12v mod, i am most likely going to splice into the front cigarette lighter and run the wires through the center console, into the little storage cubby in the rear of the center console. this past trip, we ran the 12v line from the portable DVD player up the side of the center console and into the cigarette lighter - it works, but it's less elegant than i would like. :)

Looks great. Glad it's working well for you. Is it a soft Thule box? Never seen one.

yep, it's a soft thule box - er, soft 'carrier' - it's water-repellent nylon. it's pretty heavy-duty and only weighs a few pounds.

peter

ELCID86
08-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Check out Nate's (nmac9) DIY on the front plug install.

brettbimmer
08-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Awesome, thanks!

alexandre
08-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Looks like a fun time! Kid is bauce. Quite the laundry list over there, but it's all worth it :biggrin

Avetiso
08-12-2014, 09:48 AM
That's awesome! Glad the car is serving its purpose.

slater
08-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Looks like a fun time! Kid is bauce. Quite the laundry list over there, but it's all worth it :biggrin

yeah, it's just tedious stuff. dropping the entire rear end is the part i'm not looking forward too, but it will be worth it in the end...

That's awesome! Glad the car is serving its purpose.

yes, it definitely is! cars are meant to be driven and used. i like to keep them looking and performing well while doing so. :)

peter

wrigleybm3
08-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Love the Thule Equipment!! That does look like a very promising laundry list! I like driving, but that is a serious amount on your upcoming trip, enjoy!!

slater
08-12-2014, 11:20 AM
we do a lot of driving. :)

NoVAphotog
08-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Looks awesome. Might have to get one of those to join the Imola ZHP psuedo-Avant club ;) What kind of tires are you using/recommend for these excursions? I'm planning a trip to Ithaca/Rochester/Niagara in the Fall with the gf so I've got some things on my list as well.

Vas
08-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Will a thule fairing help with the mpg?

Nice list of items though.

BTW I did not like the UUC trans mounts and have went to oem M3 engine/trans mounts.

slater
08-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Looks awesome. Might have to get one of those to join the Imola ZHP psuedo-Avant club ;) What kind of tires are you using/recommend for these excursions? I'm planning a trip to Ithaca/Rochester/Niagara in the Fall with the gf so I've got some things on my list as well.

i'm not adding enough load to justify different tires, however i'm not crazy about the ones i'm running (stock-sized general gmax AS03 - they came with the wheels). will be going back to a set of PSS next, most likely on lighter wheels.

enjoy the trip! unless you're camping, and it's just the two of you - you likely will not need a roof carrier. we're a family of four.

Will a thule fairing help with the mpg?

Nice list of items though.

BTW I did not like the UUC trans mounts and have went to oem M3 engine/trans mounts.

i dunno, i asked the fairing question too. :) i'll have to research it!

noted, about the trans mounts. i have OEM M3 engine mounts to go in as well, and i run poly trans mounts in my A4 Avant, so i have some tolerance for NVH. :) (that is, i can tolerate some NVH for improved drivetrain response.) if the UUC trans mounts are too much, i'll go to OEM M3.

peter