PDA

View Full Version : Shawn's 04 IR/Alc/6MT Red Rehab Project

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ELCID86
12-22-2015, 06:46 AM
And anyone who wants to do this job or the front control arms, I recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-24-Ratcheting-Breaker-Bar/dp/B00AZADP3E

slater
12-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Thanks for those suggestions. I used some BP blaster as well which might have helped a bit, especially on the sticky axle.

I hope to look at the diff bushings tonight and give that tool a go!

yes, PB Blaster is always Step 1. :)

i hope all goes well with the rest of the project! those diff bushings should come out easy peasy. did you pickup that cheap HF bearing driver set?

And anyone who wants to do this job or the front control arms, I recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-24-Ratcheting-Breaker-Bar/dp/B00AZADP3E

very cool, thanks. i need to get one of those!!

TigerTater
12-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Are you replacing Guibo and CSB while you have it all apart?? Looking good Shawn!

ELCID86
12-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Got the big diff bushing out. Took some doing but this Koch tool was a big help. I knew I forgot something at HF Peter. I need that one to do the smaller bushings... :facepalm

No plans to do guibo or csb.

Old bushing.

Accidentally pulled the middle rubber part out and had to go back for the housing!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

ELCID86
12-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Do the small diff bushings come out from rear to front or vice versa (or either way)?

And is this the set?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

slater
12-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Got the big diff bushing out. Took some doing but this Koch tool was a big help. I knew I forgot something at HF Peter. I need that one to do the smaller bushings... :facepalm

Do the small diff bushings come out from rear to front or vice versa (or either way)?

And is this the set?

yep, that's the set! they come out rear-to-front, yep.

nice work on the rear bushing. that is one mega huge bushing - mine was that rusty too. what a good feeling to get it out!

the front ones will slide out like butter compared the rear one! :cheers

Ssparrow
12-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Good work!! This gives me motivation to do all my bushings as well as an LSD swap sometime next summer

ELCID86
12-22-2015, 06:51 PM
yep, that's the set! they come out rear-to-front, yep.

nice work on the rear bushing. that is one mega huge bushing - mine was that rusty too. what a good feeling to get it out!

the front ones will slide out like butter compared the rear one! :cheers

Thanks. So I assume this Amazon kit is similar and it's easier for me to order it than go to HF.

I'm not sure there is enough room to get this tool on the front side of the bushings....

---

Vas
12-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Or this

Red box is the one for the small bushings.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151223/06822bd6e30d330dd8b8142a9d863576.jpg

ELCID86
12-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah but I didn't buy/rent that... :foottap :biggrin

I'm hoping I can improvise with parts of the one I have and the disks for the Amazon set.

---

BCS_ZHP
12-22-2015, 07:05 PM
You're up late, no work tomorrow?

ELCID86
12-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Lol. Unfortunately I do. Headed to bed now... GN

---

Vas
12-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Got you. Well them improvise. 😆

Vas
12-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Lol. I got a good laugh

slater
12-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks. So I assume this Amazon kit is similar and it's easier for me to order it than go to HF.

I'm not sure there is enough room to get this tool on the front side of the bushings....

yep, that should work, too!

if you run out of room, you could use a big (~36mm) socket on the front side and pull it out.

Sockethead
12-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Good work!! This gives me motivation to do all my bushings as well as an LSD swap sometime next summer

Every car I've done an LSD swap on has needed the rear diff bushing. I'd definitely plan on doing it.

Sockethead
12-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Good job Shawn. I need to get me that tool [emoji106]🏻

NoVAphotog
12-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Every car I've done an LSD swap on has needed the rear diff bushing. I'd definitely plan on doing it.

Well...mine didn't exactly need it...but if we had the tools it could have been done for sure. I had bought the damn bushings afterall...

slater
12-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Well...mine didn't exactly need it...but if we had the tools it could have been done for sure. I had bought the damn bushings afterall...

wait til 100k and then drop the subframe too and replace those mounts with AKG poly. :)

Sockethead
12-22-2015, 08:35 PM

The rubber was split, it needs it.
I wish I had been more diligent in my research so I could of been better prepared for that. I still feel bad that we couldn't swap that out at the same time...

NoVAphotog
12-22-2015, 08:41 PM
The rubber was split, it needs it.
I wish I had been more diligent in my research so I could of been better prepared for that. I still feel bad that we couldn't swap that out at the same time...
No worries Rob!

Was "fun" improvising lol

I was laughing earlier reminiscing about our little "diy ghetto flange bushing tool" compared to Shawns industrial strength Koch tools.

Sockethead
12-22-2015, 08:44 PM
I know! I remember thinking there is no way in hell this thing going to work.... You Tube reference fail lol

ELCID86
12-23-2015, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. And I'll try the large socket Peter. I do plan to rent this tool out in the future...

---

Sockethead
12-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Yep I'll be needing it at some point... I had the rear diff bushing done at around 70k and I have 136k hard miles on it now.

ELCID86
12-26-2015, 06:01 PM
MFactory LSD and rear diff bushing installed at 198,386mi.
Also softened the rear koni yellows to soft plus 3/4 turn.

---

Ssparrow
12-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Glad to hear you got it all done! How does it drive?

Johnmadd
12-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Dual burnt tire marks ftw!

ELCID86
12-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Dual burnt tire marks ftw!

Lol. Gotta take it easy for @500mi...

---

Sockethead
12-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Nice having that all done and knowing that you did it yourself, eh?

ELCID86
12-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Nice having that all done and knowing that you did it yourself, eh?

Yes! Very much so. Thanks for the phone-a-friend too!

---

Sockethead
12-27-2015, 05:17 AM
No problem, always glad to help :)

BMWCurves
12-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Nice work!

ELCID86
12-28-2015, 05:37 AM
Had my first drive with the new diff in (other than a short check-ride the day I got it completed). I drove the 45+ miles from my house to the Pentagon mostly on I-95 HOT Lanes, then back to my office in east Falls Church. Overall, I am very pleased with the 3.38 I chose. I can't tell that 1st is much shorter than the stock diff, but need to think about it when I'm driving and report back... You can almost start in 2nd gear from a dead stop (I didn't try it but was rolling very slowly). Pulls out of 3rd and 4th feel amazing. And having enough power to pass from 60,65,70,75 mph in 6th is awesome--step on the peddle and get up to passing speed with ease! The only trade off I can see so far is that I'm running about 2900 RPM at an indicated 75 mph (my gauge has not been coded from the stock settings which is a few mph off). Will have to see what that does to the MPG, but all in all, I really like the purchase so far though I do with the RPM were a bit lower in 6th at highway speeds.

I also like the softness of the rear end now that I went soft +~3/4 turn on the Koni Yellows. I guess I'm not a firm butt guy after all.

Front cluck is gone thanks to the tightened end-link.

Vas
12-28-2015, 06:11 AM
Nice.

The Koni yellow at the softest setting are still stiffer then the factory shocks. But I think them being closer to soft is a great thing for a daily driver.

ELCID86
12-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Nice.

The Koni yellow at the softest setting are still stiffer then the factory shocks. But I think them being closer to soft is a great thing for a daily driver.
I agree. I thought firm would be better, but it was jarring...! Much better now. I may try a tad less firm on the front (I wish the rears were a bit easier to adjust).

BMWCurves
12-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Had my first drive with the new diff in (other than a short check-ride the day I got it completed). I drove the 45+ miles from my house to the Pentagon mostly on I-95 HOT Lanes, then back to my office in east Falls Church. Overall, I am very pleased with the 3.38 I chose. I can't tell that 1st is much shorter than the stock diff, but need to think about it when I'm driving and report back... You can almost start in 2nd gear from a dead stop (I didn't try it but was rolling very slowly). Pulls out of 3rd and 4th feel amazing. And having enough power to pass from 60,65,70,75 mph in 6th is awesome--step on the peddle and get up to passing speed with ease! The only trade off I can see so far is that I'm running about 2900 RPM at an indicated 75 mph (my gauge has not been coded from the stock settings which is a few mph off). Will have to see what that does to the MPG, but all in all, I really like the purchase so far though I do with the RPM were a bit lower in 6th at highway speeds.

I also like the softness of the rear end now that I went soft +~3/4 turn on the Koni Yellows. I guess I'm not a firm butt guy after all.

Front cluck is gone thanks to the tightened end-link.

Glad to hear all of your handiwork went well and you're liking the improvements. Solid stuff.

ELCID86
01-02-2016, 06:29 PM
I ended with 188,515mi (+2952 in 2015)

---

ELCID86
01-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Installed replacement trunk handle and new gasket. Trunk release button now works also!

---

Sockethead
01-10-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm waiting for mine to go one of these days.... I know it's coming...

ELCID86
01-10-2016, 09:57 AM
I didn't know why the button release wasn't working but the light wires were all roached out and I ran new temp ones in order to get them working. I guess the release wire(s) were bad too. Happy this now works properly.

---

Vas
01-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Now you can out dead bodies in the trunk

alexandre
01-10-2016, 04:49 PM
I didn't know why the button release wasn't working but the light wires were all roached out and I ran new temp ones in order to get them working. I guess the release wire(s) were bad too. Happy this now works properly.

---

The button does seem way loose compared to the one I gave you. Probably just age.

ELCID86
01-10-2016, 06:20 PM
The button does seem way loose compared to the one I gave you. Probably just age.

And salt... I wonder if it's repairable internally?

---

ELCID86
01-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Changed the diff fluid post break-in with Redline 75w90ns.
Also mounted winter tires and topped of tire pressure.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Vas
01-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Nice. Let it snow more now

ELCID86
01-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Nice. Let it snow more now

Let the games begin!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

johnrando
01-19-2016, 08:02 PM
:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
200,433 mi.
Installed tranny mounts, bled brakes, swapped winter wheels for 135/PSSs. Took her on a spirited run out in the country. Tried the Koni fronts at 0, but it was too soft. Dialed them to 3/4 for now--better.
Added @1/3 qt oil (it was at bottom marker).
Added a bit of antifreeze/water to ET.

Old vs new:
Old mounts were very soft and mailable.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Vas
03-05-2016, 02:08 PM
M3 mounts are a nice addition. Next up is the engine mounts

ELCID86
03-05-2016, 02:17 PM
M3 mounts are a nice addition. Next up is the engine mounts

I have them on hand. Maybe soon...

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

san
03-05-2016, 06:38 PM
How hard was it to swap the tranny mounts?? I read few diy's and it doesn't seem too bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 05:10 AM
How hard was it to swap the tranny mounts?? I read few diy's and it doesn't seem too bad...

I tried once before and bailed out. This time Vas encouraged me and gave some tips. Read the Mad Russian thread online (no relation to Vas that I know of :). There are four bolts to remove the cross-brace then you have pretty easy access to the mounts. Only took me about 30 min. Be sure to have new top and bottom nuts on hand. You also might want to have 4 new bolts for the cross bar as mine were pretty rusty (but I'm sure your car is much cleaner and would be fine).

You just have to loosen the top nut with a 13mm after the bar is out of the way. The mounts slide right out.

---

johnrando
03-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Nice werk

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Nice werk

Early start out west... Good Morning.

---

johnrando
03-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Yup! :) gm!

san
03-06-2016, 08:37 AM
I tried once before and bailed out. This time Vas encouraged me and gave some tips. Read the Mad Russian thread online (no relation to Vas that I know of :). There are four bolts to remove the cross-brace then you have pretty easy access to the mounts. Only took me about 30 min. Be sure to have new top and bottom nuts on hand. You also might want to have 4 new bolts for the cross bar as mine were pretty rusty (but I'm sure your car is much cleaner and would be fine).

You just have to loosen the top nut with a 13mm after the bar is out of the way. The mounts slide right out.

---

Thanks Shawn, will be doing this next weekend...

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks Shawn, will be doing this next weekend...

Good deal. Mine were very pliable.

---

Ssparrow
03-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Good stuff, I need to do this as well as my motor mounts. I inspected mine yesterday and they look pretty worn.

Sockethead
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Motor mounts are on my to do list too... not really looking forward to it.

ELCID86
03-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Motor mounts are on my to do list too... not really looking forward to it.

Yeah. I hope maybe Vas can help me this weekend. I was not successful on my first attempt.

---

Vas
03-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Yeah. I hope maybe Vas can help me this weekend. I was not successful on my first attempt.

---

What else did you have in mind to do this weekend? I will grab my jack and 2 jackstands.

Sockethead
03-14-2016, 02:22 PM
I wish I was closer to you guys...

Shawn, I'm pretty sure the ZHP springs are accessible in my storage unit, are you still going to be in the Charleston area this weekend?

ELCID86
03-14-2016, 03:12 PM
I'm not. But can have my some brag them before he comes home for spring break.

---

Sockethead
03-14-2016, 04:58 PM
ok, I'll try to grab them in the next day or two

ELCID86
04-11-2016, 04:17 AM
Took the ole red rehab out to stretch her legs at a HPDE in NC. Our first one. We both did pretty well and I was impressed with how well she did given her 201k miles! Colin and I were driving in back-to-back sessions throughout the day. New Stoptech pads performed very well but are a bit dustier than I'd hoped for :-)

san
04-11-2016, 04:55 AM
Took the ole red rehab out to stretch her legs at a HPDE in NC. Our first one. We both did pretty well and I was impressed with how well she did given her 201k miles! Colin and I were driving in back-to-back sessions throughout the day. New Stoptech pads performed very well but are a bit dustier than I'd hoped for :-)

Looks like fun!

Did you drive Daniel's car to see how much of a difference the arc 8's make??

slater
04-11-2016, 05:22 AM
looks like fun, shawn! love that 2nd pic. :)

ELCID86
04-11-2016, 06:05 AM
Looks like fun!

Did you drive Daniel's car to see how much of a difference the arc 8's make??

No. I wish we'd had the chance to compare wheels and diffs but didn't. Truthfully I didn't want to risk wrecking Scarlet.

ELCID86
04-11-2016, 06:08 AM
looks like fun, shawn! love that 2nd pic. :)

Yeah, that's Colin driving--coming in off a straight away at @115mph into a hairpin that needs to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. He's about to hit the brakes hard and the instructor is waving at me--must have felt pretty confident in the driver (which he told me on at least two occasions).

Vas
04-11-2016, 07:42 AM
My car needed to be in that group....

ELCID86
04-11-2016, 07:47 AM
My car needed to be in that group....

Yep. :)

Vas
04-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Yep. :)

You guys just like to have all the fun without me :(

BMWCurves
04-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Looks like a blast, Shawn!

slater
04-11-2016, 08:26 AM
You guys just like to have all the fun without me :(

your tires weren't up to it anyway... :ducking

;)

Vas
04-11-2016, 09:58 AM
your tires weren't up to it anyway... :ducking

;)

HA. I could have used my car and not the wife's. But I been sick the past couple of days :(

ELCID86
04-11-2016, 12:58 PM
HA. I could have used my car and not the wife's. But I been sick the past couple of days :(

Yeah and you want to be 100% for these events. I didn't sleep well the night before and really felt it. I could feel myself losing focus on lap 5 or 6 each session. I ended up not going out the last session--didn't want to chance it.

Johnmadd
04-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I gotta do that someday, looks very fun.

ELCID86
04-11-2016, 04:18 PM
I gotta do that someday, looks very fun.

Not sure I recommend doing it your DD--pretty nerve racking.

az3579
04-11-2016, 04:58 PM

You're less likely to get into a wreck there than on the street...

Johnmadd
04-11-2016, 05:06 PM

I have other options... I'm a good driver too lol!

Johnmadd
04-11-2016, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I don't over drive a car past where it feels good and goes to scary.

ELCID86
04-11-2016, 05:24 PM

Hmm. Not exactly sure I agree. Hitting someone or getting hit perhaps, but we saw at least 3 cars go off track. One had to be towed back.

Good to have options JM ;-)

az3579
04-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Hmm. Not exactly sure I agree. Hitting someone or getting hit perhaps, but we saw at least 3 cars go off track. One had to be towed back.

Bet you they were people who were pushing beyond their limits. Cars don't typically get tangled up with each other at a driver's school as people are discouraged from riding each other's ass and passing in unsafe areas
Nobody is on their phone. Nobody is texting. Nobody is fiddling with the radio, or reading a newspaper, or cutting people off and weaving between traffic. Everyone is giving their 100% attention to what they are doing, and have someone who knows what the heck they're doing in the seat beside them focusing entirely on the driver. Sounds way safer to me than being on the street.

slater
04-12-2016, 05:51 AM
Bet you they were people who were pushing beyond their limits. Cars don't typically get tangled up with each other at a driver's school as people are discouraged from riding each other's ass and passing in unsafe areas
Nobody is on their phone. Nobody is texting. Nobody is fiddling with the radio, or reading a newspaper, or cutting people off and weaving between traffic. Everyone is giving their 100% attention to what they are doing, and have someone who knows what the heck they're doing in the seat beside them focusing entirely on the driver. Sounds way safer to me than being on the street.

agreed!

ELCID86
04-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Probably true BP. No tangled cars. Just off the track... They were very clear/strict on passing etc. I felt pretty safe but that I had to maintain absolute focus on every turn.

ELCID86
04-30-2016, 12:22 PM
201k mi. New tie rods and rear trailing arm bushings. Both badly needed.

https://vimeo.com/164844505

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/ab062b5228ad0bc49e922e2968fae185.jpg

Also replaced the inner wheel well part that got destroyed on the track day--I don't suggest 18x8.5 on the front...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/e99bfc72d2c5952e600727d78975121a.jpg

I also figured out what the loud clunk I heard on one of the corners was... HID ballast is MIA (along with some other parts)...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/d029d7318e2fea0f11ecb743a9cb9878.jpg

Vas
04-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Thumbs up.

ELCID86
05-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Alignment at 202,230mi

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160514/0a40ebfae3f726d72fddea495d55353f.jpg

Vas
05-14-2016, 10:12 AM
How does it drive now?

ELCID86
05-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Nicely. Slight pull to the right if I take my hands off the wheel due to the caster on the right side.

BMWCurves
05-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Nicely. Slight pull to the right if I take my hands off the wheel due to the caster on the right side.

Going to go back and get it dialed in, or leave it be?

ELCID86
05-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Leaving it. Drives nice and tech said there wasn't any way to get more/less caster (I have z4m FCABs).

ELCID86
05-22-2016, 02:14 PM
"The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play so we sat in the house on that cold, cold, wet day..."

Glad I have a garage!

(Re)Fixed my loose back door window trim. The thread about sound deadening inspired me a bit too.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/001c6769487b1a690a88290787bf9a83.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/0009ddd96ec822623f18068e9cf577e9.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/a0faaa94280e30c28efa2556be229903.jpg

Also added a quart of oil. 202,522mi

Ssparrow
05-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Nice! I need to add some more sound deadning to my doors, I may go ahead and do under the seat too!

You'll have to let us know if you notice a difference!

BMWCurves
05-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Nice! I need to add some more sound deadning to my doors, I may go ahead and do under the seat too!

You'll have to let us know if you notice a difference!

+1

holyc0w
05-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Also replaced the inner wheel well part that got destroyed on the track day--I don't suggest 18x8.5 on the front...

Did this happen just during the track day or was it over time? Style 135 square setup?

ELCID86
05-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Did this happen just during the track day or was it over time? Style 135 square setup?

Track day. Yes, square with 18x8.5.

ELCID86
05-27-2016, 12:57 PM
DMTL pump replaced. Need to do some driving to see if the codes stay gone.

---

ELCID86
06-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Vanos seals and hose and VCG done today at 202,740mi.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/21c818a3270a7f0725a48b18920a6464.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/508d631e435ec252fa92c40fe3c3c684.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/88d0c6c5b1a2def3af931df36c8e1499.jpg

ClimRox
06-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Nice work! Did you find it necessary to do any sort of anti-rattle kit while you were in there?

ELCID86
06-04-2016, 03:49 PM
Nice work! Did you find it necessary to do any sort of anti-rattle kit while you were in there?

I didn't have a rattle so didn't go with that kit.

NoVAphotog
06-04-2016, 07:13 PM
The Doctor performs the Beisan Surgery.

Sockethead
06-05-2016, 05:53 AM
VANOS repair always reminds me of the first Mafia meet way back in 2011... We did a shitload of those....

ELCID86
06-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Great shots Dan. Lovin' the Nifty Fifty.

---

Vas
06-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Nice job.

How were the old seals ?

ELCID86
06-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Nice job.

How were the old seals ?

They looked ok. I guess a bit flat/flush.

ELCID86
07-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Starter replaced via
https://www.yourmechanic.com/rl/UarXRQ676115
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/dbd20e9a14741a3f699acc39a2068a8f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/a19960b2ef4b1fb3f762bfeb19fbcba1.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/37e4ee18b9f435609a8a8513ee7cbac3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/ad299fa31554a5143a73e24951387842.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/dc51aa4d988c6c8a7871249e0b1e837b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/33e435988f2b09e4a8de86c7211a2c79.jpg

TheFinanceGuy
07-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Excellent!

san
07-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Starter replaced via
https://www.yourmechanic.com/rl/UarXRQ676115
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/dbd20e9a14741a3f699acc39a2068a8f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/a19960b2ef4b1fb3f762bfeb19fbcba1.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/37e4ee18b9f435609a8a8513ee7cbac3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/ad299fa31554a5143a73e24951387842.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/dc51aa4d988c6c8a7871249e0b1e837b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/33e435988f2b09e4a8de86c7211a2c79.jpg

Doesn't look like it's simple... How long did it take?

ELCID86
07-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Doesn't look like it's simple... How long did it take?

Yeah. He had a bear of a time getting the bolts out. He was here for 6 hours. Not sure if he took a lunch break or just got in his truck to cool off. Cost me $500 installed and included the Bosch starter and new manifold gasket.

TheFinanceGuy
07-28-2016, 01:45 PM
That seems like a steal.

I get nervous having folks work at my house incase they get hurt. Can easily make my insurance pay if they aren't insured. Then I worry about theft they aren't bonded....

That's just being a nervous nelly.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

ELCID86
07-28-2016, 01:50 PM
That seems like a steal.

I get nervous having folks work at my house incase they get hurt. Can easily make my insurance pay if they aren't insured. Then I worry about theft they aren't bonded....

That's just being a nervous nelly.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

I assume these guys are covered but didn't really look into it. They offer a 12 mo /12k mile warranty. I'm glad I paid and dos t spend the day under the car...

anandoc
07-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Thats great Shawn! Did your starter motor die completely or did you get any symptoms of it dying soon?

ELCID86
07-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Thats great Shawn! Did your starter motor die completely or did you get any symptoms of it dying soon?

Once or twice a week it took 2-3 tries to start it. It would just make a grinding sound.

ELCID86
07-28-2016, 05:20 PM
New cluster installed. Need to correct the mileage but can't get PASoft working.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160729/a6821749981d8ac833fab02f725ad729.jpg

fredo
07-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Good news. Did you replace the manifold gasket because "you were there" ? Or is it recommended to do at the same time as the starter.

ELCID86
07-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Good news. Did you replace the manifold gasket because "you were there" ? Or is it recommended to do at the same time as the starter.

He added it to the job as he prefers to access the starter from the top (but he also had to get under it). I got to check out the CCV while he had it open. It is the cold weather version from the PO.

NoVAphotog
07-28-2016, 07:10 PM
He added it to the job as he prefers to access the starter from the top (but he also had to get under it). I got to check out the CCV while he had it open. It is the cold weather version from the PO.

It looked good...still probably would have easy to swap while it was exposed. But as we've found sometimes it's better to just focus on one thing and get it done right. Especially if you hadn't noticed any symptoms ccv wise.

cakM3
07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
New cluster installed. Need to correct the mileage but can't get PASoft working.

Very nice Shawn! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

slater
07-29-2016, 09:41 AM

sweet, shawn! this is one of terra's units, correct? i thought the cluster was supposed to pick up the mileage from the DME? (perhaps your old cluster was not original and showing incorrect mileage?)

WOLFN8TR
07-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Nice upgrade! [emoji106]

ELCID86
07-29-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys. And Peter, Terra (Mirza) was a bit baffled that it didn't pick up the correct miles from the ECU he reprogrammed. He had the original cluster too and it showed 202k. I need to get PASoft working and see if the LCM will push the correct miles to the cluster.

ELCID86
08-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Replaced the engine evap breather valve.

Sockethead
08-07-2016, 06:02 PM
did you get your mileage issue straitened out?

ELCID86
08-08-2016, 03:58 AM
did you get your mileage issue straitened out?

No. I can't get PASoft running on my Win10 laptop after the last MS updates... :-(

slater
08-08-2016, 04:04 AM
No. I can't get PASoft running on my Win10 laptop after the last MS updates... :-(

what happens when you launch PASoft?

ELCID86
08-08-2016, 03:06 PM
what happens when you launch PASoft?

Hardware not read (or found)...

Sockethead
08-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Did you try rolling back the drivers?

ELCID86
08-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Did you try rolling back the drivers?

No. Not quite sure how. Tried to update them to the ones in the files Tony sent me but couldn't get them to work.

slater
08-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Hardware not read (or found)...

i had that issue with Windows 8 and Windows 10. try this:

go into device manager, and see if the 'BMW Scanner' is listed; if so, right click and select 'update driver', then: (from e46fanatics)

"Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software". Then pick Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Select towards the bottom "Universal serial bus controllers. On the next screen, on the left hand side under manufacturer, look for FTDI. When you click on it, to the right, select USB Serial Converter. Then click next. A message will pop up saying armageddon will reign down upon you and your computer if you install this and it isn't compatible. I decided to go for it and take the risk. Once installed, open up your bmw scanner software and start messing with all your options. "

ELCID86
08-08-2016, 05:55 PM
i had that issue with Windows 8 and Windows 10. try this:

go into device manager, and see if the 'BMW Scanner' is listed; if so, right click and select 'update driver', then: (from e46fanatics)

"Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software". Then pick Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Select towards the bottom "Universal serial bus controllers. On the next screen, on the left hand side under manufacturer, look for FTDI. When you click on it, to the right, select USB Serial Converter. Then click next. A message will pop up saying armageddon will reign down upon you and your computer if you install this and it isn't compatible. I decided to go for it and take the risk. Once installed, open up your bmw scanner software and start messing with all your options. "

Thanks. I'll try that again. Could never get the warning message to pop up. May need to in/re-install.

Sockethead
08-09-2016, 06:51 AM
I'd be willing to do a remote control session with you to see if we can get it going...

slater
08-09-2016, 07:08 AM
I'd be willing to do a remote control session with you to see if we can get it going...

great idea, rob! i could do the same if you're not available.

Sockethead
08-09-2016, 07:10 AM
Ok between the two of us, we'll get it going

ELCID86
08-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Thanks guys. I'll start with Rob since he's at least I. The same country ;-) (and I can text/call him).

ELCID86
08-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'll start with Rob since he's at least I. The same country ;-) (and I can text/call him).
BP just hooked me up. --Thanks! Back online now. No mas on changing the cluster mileage wit PASoft.

ELCID86
08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Cluster updated via a PASoft /IKE hack. Thanks Mirza/TerraPhantm.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/fa1a7a9b7f439653381eece0a84c8f11.jpg

johnrando
08-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Nice

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Replaced the lower grille.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170325/bc6f9220f659f279f71f26f9ec255a4c.jpg

Sockethead
03-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Wow I didn't know the replacement came with the inner piece too...

ELCID86
03-25-2017, 05:08 PM
Wow I didn't know the replacement came with the inner piece too...

It's an extra few bucks. Total for both parts was $40.

Sockethead
03-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Excellent! I have to modify the inner part to get more air to the intercooler... nice to know I can get that piece for ten bucks if I need it original again.

ELCID86
04-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Oil and filter changed yesterday at 209,500.

ELCID86
04-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Dead pedal replaced.

Sockethead
04-23-2017, 05:49 AM
What did you replace it with?

ELCID86
04-23-2017, 04:29 PM
What did you replace it with?

OEM part. Still just black plastic. I may do the medal pedal plate at some point.

ELCID86
07-25-2017, 05:10 PM
Added about 1/2 quart+ of oil at 212,355.

+1/2 qt @ 213699

ELCID86
09-23-2017, 11:54 AM
New sunroof gasket, oil change and Rock removed from front lower Grille :-(

fredo
09-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Rick removed ? :dunno

ELCID86
09-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Rick removed ? :dunno

Lol. Rick rolled! Fixed it... rock..
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/ebce82774db7f79bd3bf74afc20d7b5a.jpg

holyc0w
09-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Ha..I thought Rick was the name of some unlucky critter.

fredo
12-10-2017, 05:05 AM
Bump for a good car.

ELCID86
12-10-2017, 07:15 AM
Lol. Thanks Fredo. Installed my winter Blizzaks in advance of the white stuff this weekend. Other than that, not much of note (he says prayerfully [emoji1374]!).
Also sold my “spare” set of style 135s that my wife said needed to go... went to a guy from MD who just bought a project ZHP that had style 68 (which I’ve always liked).

ELCID86
12-19-2017, 01:50 PM
.5 Qts at 215,638 mi.

Vas
12-19-2017, 02:15 PM
.5 Qts at 215,638 mi.

Golf R in the near future or planning on just keeping the old girl?

san
12-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Why not both?

ELCID86
12-20-2017, 03:06 AM
Golf R in the near future or planning on just keeping the old girl?

Not in the near future. And I wish Sandeep! That one doesn’t pass the CFO’s (aka wife) desk... :-(

Vas
12-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Not in the near future. And I wish Sandeep! That one doesn’t pass the CFO’s (aka wife) desk... :-(

So whats next on the list? Maintenance or mods

ELCID86
12-20-2017, 06:16 PM
So whats next on the list? Maintenance or mods

Not sure at this point. Need to get the roof rack trim painted (clear coat is peeling badly). Considering cooling system in the spring. Need to buy 2 new PSS before spring also.

fredo
12-20-2017, 09:10 PM
I paid $100 to paint the roof rack trim on the X3.

ELCID86
12-21-2017, 03:16 AM

Thanks. Good data point.

ELCID86
12-31-2017, 08:21 PM
Rolled 216k this week and ended the year with 216,464. (12,464 on the year).

ELCID86
02-14-2018, 04:38 AM
Oil Change at 216,488 and replaced the rubber caps on the back of the intake manifold to hopefully get rid of the cold weather whine. One large (11611727176), two small (11611437560).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/42754802c80f72e87b4b1f5b844ae925.jpg

anandoc
02-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Oil Change at 216,488 and replaced the rubber caps on the back of the intake manifold to hopefully get rid of the cold weather whine. One large (11611727176), two small (11611437560).

Hey Shawn, where are these rubber caps located on the intake manifold? Do you have any pictures? Thanks for including the part numbers for these caps.

nextelbuddy
02-14-2018, 08:07 AM

What color did your paint the trim? Black or matching car color?

ELCID86
02-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Hey Shawn, where are these rubber caps located on the intake manifold? Do you have any pictures? Thanks for including the part numbers for these caps.

Back right corner as you face the car. You can feel them with your hand.
#15 and 17

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/89d85cd3866dbdd5e639f27c448eb050.jpg

Vas
02-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Just realized i had some of these laying around from a purchase from fcpeuro. Got them to qualify for free shipping.

ELCID86
02-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Just realized i had some of these laying around from a purchase from fcpeuro. Got them to qualify for free shipping.

Win!

johnrando
02-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Nice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RUS_ZHP
02-15-2018, 04:51 AM
Thanks for pointing out those caps. I'll be taking intake manifold out and will be a good time to change them.

ELCID86
02-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Thanks for pointing out those caps. I'll be taking intake manifold out and will be a good time to change them.

Yes. I wish I’d known about these when I had mine out. Will be much easier.

RUS_ZHP
02-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Just bought those caps. Thanks again for recommendation Shawn.

ELCID86
02-24-2018, 05:13 PM
Just bought those caps. Thanks again for recommendation Shawn.

Sure thing. Seems to have done the trick for me though it hasn’t been that cold lately.

danewilson77
02-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Sure thing. Seems to have done the trick for me though it hasn’t been that cold lately.When you say "trick", what did these plugs/caps resolve?

ELCID86
02-24-2018, 06:00 PM
When you say "trick", what did these plugs/caps resolve?

Cold weather high pitched whine/squeal.

danewilson77
02-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Cold weather high pitched whine/squeal.:thumbsup

ELCID86
03-31-2018, 09:28 AM
Spring tire swap today and two new Michelin PSS installed on the rear @217, 391.

Vas
03-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Let it snow Let it snow

Sockethead
03-31-2018, 09:58 AM
My buddy from back home said they're getting more snow on Monday...

John in VA
03-31-2018, 11:03 AM
My buddy from back home said they're getting more snow on Monday...
Yep - in the forecast here for Sun night into Mon, with biggest chance north & west of DC.

ELCID86
03-31-2018, 03:00 PM
Yikes! Forecast here shows only rain and low temps at night (@30*). I can always swap em back...

ELCID86
04-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Alignment done.

Also put in some BG 44k and MOA (as I was a bit low). 217,622 on the clock.

cornercarver
04-14-2018, 10:27 AM
What’s the story on 44K and MOA...Good stuff? I’ve never heard of the BG product until you posted it.

ELCID86
04-14-2018, 10:36 AM
What’s the story on 44K and MOA...Good stuff? I’ve never heard of the BG product until you posted it.

44k is a fuel additive and MOA is a Motor Oil Additive. BG has been around for years and many shops use their products.

ELCID86
06-11-2018, 03:01 AM
Transmission fluid (Redline) and brake fluid swap at 219,265.
1/2 Quart oil.

ELCID86
07-17-2018, 03:56 PM
New Stoptech Street rear pads at 220,222.

Vas
07-17-2018, 04:03 PM
New Stoptech Street rear pads at 220,222.Had some on hand ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ELCID86
07-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Had some on hand ?

Yes, thankfully! I guess I knew they’d wear out eventually... ;-)

ELCID86
12-02-2018, 02:31 PM
New Costco Interstate H7/R94 battery at 221,960. $151.62 OTD after core credit.

Vas
12-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Great price.

ELCID86
01-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Ended 2018 with 222, 013= 5,956

Vas
01-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Is this Shawn from the future?

2019 just began and you are already ending it :P

fredo
01-02-2019, 07:32 AM

Good catch !

ELCID86
01-02-2019, 05:27 PM

You sir on on das ball as usual. Danke.

ELCID86
04-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Closing out this thread. Car sold with 220,100 miles.

Reasoned1
04-07-2019, 01:40 PM
That’s a good run, Shawn. Thank you for your helpful input.

johnrando
04-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Congrats on the sale. A good run.

Vas
04-07-2019, 04:35 PM
She is in good hands now. [emoji16]

johnrando
04-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkHmmmmmmm :)

holyc0w
04-09-2019, 06:41 PM

Interesting foreshadowing there

Whammy
04-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Woohoo!

Vas
11-23-2019, 08:01 AM
I'm keeping her warm this winter and will begin surgery soon to tackle that coolant leak. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/194852f4524be87196b9bc9478fc8e72.jpg

ELCID86
11-25-2019, 05:56 PM
I'm keeping her warm this winter and will begin surgery soon to tackle that coolant leak. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/194852f4524be87196b9bc9478fc8e72.jpg

Glad she’s getting some TLC. [emoji3059]

Vas
12-12-2019, 07:43 AM
If anybody is curious, a new project thread can be found using the link below

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ezhpmafia%2Ecom%2Fforu ms%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D22731&share_tid=22731&share_fid=14392&share_type=t&link_source=app