PDA

View Full Version : New garage mate for my ZHP

jiggz
08-25-2014, 09:49 AM
We took delivery of this guy a few weeks back after a nearly year long search. After a few weeks of ownership I have no reservations in saying it's probably the best all around vehicle I've ever driven, let alone owned. Perfect combo of power, features, utility, drivability, driving enjoyment, etc.

Here's the factory specs -
2012 X5 xDrive50i - 29K miles, CPO until 9/2017
Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo
M Sport w/ 20's
Premium
Cold Weather
Active Steering
Multi-Contour Seats
3rd Row Seats
BMW Apps

I typically leave my vehicles fairly close to stock - only changes so far are a new X5M tri-stitch/paddle shift steering wheel and iND painted front reflectors. Onto the mediocre iPhone pics…

Coming off the transport (had to shipped from CA to WA where I live)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Evsb0PtS1P4/U-lcjw6pOMI/AAAAAAAAANg/erqhA9XKbkA/w920-h690-no/IMG_1223.JPG

Front plate removed and painted front reflectors installed. Reflectors are not a perfect match due to a previously installed clear bra that appears to have some fade to it.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cJyvfkqMq50/U_tsnSu_D5I/AAAAAAAAAQA/5kgScT93op0/w920-h690-no/IMG_1246.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55h2FJwOoj4/U_t5s2gfxxI/AAAAAAAAAQc/gQ0H6OSAY5w/w920-h690-no/IMG_1247-001.JPG

The Cinnamon interior was a major selling point for me, and a rare find when combined w/ the other packages/options on this one
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/W1u3Bzn-juZwHRO3mtth1MT-B-ch4You-hMsGy6gqLA=w920-h690-no

Non M's didn't get paddles until late 2012 builds (October 2011) with either Sport or M Sport. This X5 was built in June 2011 so no paddles…fortunately I found this wheel for sale on the forums. The M wheel includes upgraded paddles over the M Sport/Sport paddles & tri-stitching instead of black. It was a lucky find - for whatever reason you can't buy the X5M wheels anywhere as a package like you can the E46 M3/ZHP wheels, which are everywhere, new or used
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/3_TyR3Oc2E_xJ7q7Yipyjs4mCJO3VAIPaBXPpDE_f8U=w920-h690-no

az3579
08-25-2014, 09:54 AM
That is a sweet find! Very unique color combo. I LOVE that steering wheel! :thumbsup

cakM3
08-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Charrie likes!

:like

slater
08-25-2014, 10:25 AM
looks great! my wife wants one of these. i also like them, but the gas mileage is the main detractor - even in the I6's... 91 octane here is around $5.75/gallon.

peter

danewilson77
08-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Awesome

The friendliest forum on the planet.

ELCID86
08-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Very nice!

mbeckel
08-25-2014, 10:57 AM
:drool

3ZHPGUY
08-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Nice addition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yura
08-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Phenomenal car. Congrats!

Vas
08-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Man that thing is massive looking. Congrats.

WOLFN8TR
08-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Looks very clean! Congrats...

JupiterBMW
08-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Nicely done Jeff... We are still on the search for ours, it seems the last couple of weeks has killed the inventory on these things... Still eyeballing the ///M down here, but the dealer is being pretty tight on it, and its just a little too high to be in my comfort zone.

We'll see what happens... On the flip side, you scored the exact M-Sport we would like to find. I see you don't have side view cameras... No HUD either? I'm more familiar with individual options than what's included in the different packages...

Anyway, enjoy!

jiggz
08-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words/replies.

looks great! my wife wants one of these. i also like them, but the gas mileage is the main detractor - even in the I6's... 91 octane here is around $5.75/gallon.

peter

Yes…if you're concerned about gas mileage the X5 (at least the gas versions) is probably not the vehicle for you. As you noted, even the I6 (xDrive35i) is not that great at 16/23, only marginally better than the V8 (14/20). Our 50i guzzles gas but that's okay, I knew that going into this purchase, and everything else that I love about it far outweighs the poor gas mileage.

Nicely done Jeff... We are still on the search for ours, it seems the last couple of weeks has killed the inventory on these things... Still eyeballing the ///M down here, but the dealer is being pretty tight on it, and its just a little too high to be in my comfort zone.

We'll see what happens... On the flip side, you scored the exact M-Sport we would like to find. I see you don't have side view cameras... No HUD either? I'm more familiar with individual options than what's included in the different packages...

Anyway, enjoy!

Thanks Jon….I'll be on the lookout for your thread after you pull the trigger and make a post! Have you been fine-tuning your search criteria or you've pretty much nailed down the year/color/packages you want?

Correct, no HUD or side-view cameras on mine. Those options were standalone in 2011 and prior, but in 2012 and 2013 they were only available with the Technology Package (along with high-beam assistant). That was a 'nice to have' package on my list but certainly not a requirement.

az3579
08-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Those options were standalone in 2011 and prior, but in 2012 and 2013 they were only available with the Technology Package (along with high-beam assistant).

I thought high beam assistant wasn't legal in the US. I know we get the auto high beams, but that option isn't the same thing.
Are yours the high beams that stay on but create a tunnel for oncoming or traffic directly in front of you instead of switching the head beams off?

jiggz
08-26-2014, 05:32 AM
I thought high beam assistant wasn't legal in the US. I know we get the auto high beams, but that option isn't the same thing.
Are yours the high beams that stay on but create a tunnel for oncoming or traffic directly in front of you instead of switching the head beams off?

'High Beam Assistant' is the actual term/name given by BMW for the E70 X5 (2007-2013) and it's basically an auto high beam function. Lots of U.S. owners have this option so it's definitely legal. If this option is turned on, it will automatically switch the high beams on if the sensor behind the rearview mirror doesn't sense any oncoming traffic and the other conditions are dark enough to trigger it (think a dark country road for example). Some like it, some don't…some complain even a street sign with it's reflective finish will trigger it off momentarily. The new 2014+ (F15) X5 has this same feature available and it's called 'Automatic High Beams' on BMWUSA.com.

Via Google search I do see an option called 'BMW Selective Beam' which can exclude oncoming vehicles from high-beam distribution, though I don't know which BMW models have that?

az3579
08-26-2014, 08:56 AM
'High Beam Assistant' is the actual term/name given by BMW for the E70 X5 (2007-2013) and it's basically an auto high beam function. Lots of U.S. owners have this option so it's definitely legal. If this option is turned on, it will automatically switch the high beams on if the sensor behind the rearview mirror doesn't sense any oncoming traffic and the other conditions are dark enough to trigger it (think a dark country road for example). Some like it, some don't…some complain even a street sign with it's reflective finish will trigger it off momentarily. The new 2014+ (F15) X5 has this same feature available and it's called 'Automatic High Beams' on BMWUSA.com.

Via Google search I do see an option called 'BMW Selective Beam' which can exclude oncoming vehicles from high-beam distribution, though I don't know which BMW models have that?

High Beam Assistant (according to all of the documentation I read) is actually the second thing you mention. What it does is there is an Automatic High Beam button on the stalk. Once pushed, it will leave the high beams on when conditions permit for it and if there's oncoming traffic, it will redirect the beam while leaving the high beams on so it doesn't blind traffic. Here is a video on how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

While they are demonstrating the LED headlights in that video, that Highbeam Assist technology is available for certain models with Xenons as well. Your generation of X5 does not have that technology.

The option yours has is that it just switches the highbeams off automatically when there's oncoming traffic. Consider your auto/off highbeams as "Auto Highbeams" and Highbeam Assistant more of a "auto high-beams PLUS", if you will...

The Highbeam Assist doesn't seem to exist in the US; it only appears to be in other markets in other parts of the world. F30's with Xenons should have this technology as an option (you can find videos on YouTube of it in action in the UK), as well as any of the BMWs with LED headlights. I'm not sure if F10's have this option, but I would imagine the facelifted ones to have it. This option requires extra hardware that the US cars do not have.

I've been fascinated with the High Beam Assist technology and keep hoping it makes its way to our shores... I want that in my F80 M3 damn it! I'll retrofit it if I have to... (when I buy it, that is... :shifty)

jiggz
08-26-2014, 09:50 AM
High Beam Assistant (according to all of the documentation I read) is actually the second thing you mention. What it does is there is an Automatic High Beam button on the stalk. Once pushed, it will leave the high beams on when conditions permit for it and if there's oncoming traffic, it will redirect the beam while leaving the high beams on so it doesn't blind traffic. Here is a video on how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

While they are demonstrating the LED headlights in that video, that Highbeam Assist technology is available for certain models with Xenons as well. Your generation of X5 does not have that technology.

The option yours has is that it just switches the highbeams off automatically when there's oncoming traffic. Consider your auto/off highbeams as "Auto Highbeams" and Highbeam Assistant more of a "auto high-beams PLUS", if you will...

The Highbeam Assist doesn't seem to exist in the US; it only appears to be in other markets in other parts of the world. F30's with Xenons should have this technology as an option (you can find videos on YouTube of it in action in the UK), as well as any of the BMWs with LED headlights. I'm not sure if F10's have this option, but I would imagine the facelifted ones to have it. This option requires extra hardware that the US cars do not have.

I've been fascinated with the High Beam Assist technology and keep hoping it makes its way to our shores... I want that in my F80 M3 damn it! I'll retrofit it if I have to... (when I buy it, that is... :shifty)

Sorry, you are correct. I was mixing up 'Automatic High Beams' and 'High Beam Assistant.' Strange though - I just re-read the 2012 X5 press guide and they refer to it as 'Automatic High Beams' while the VIN decoder calls it 'High Beam Assistant.' Either way if the features is activated (on the stalk or in iDrive as I've read) it will engage (turn on the high beams) once it senses the conditions are appropriate and turn off the high beam when it senses they aren't.

Whatever you want to call it, it's definitely not the selective version that adjusts to oncoming traffic w/o actually turning off.

My X5 doesn't have it so I haven't read up too much on it. I don't even use the auto headlights on my ZHP so no loss for me...I like to turn stuff on/off at my choosing, not a sensor :)

zhpnsnv
08-26-2014, 09:51 AM
This is a great X5. Interior and steering wheel = perfect. Good stuff.

az3579
08-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Sorry, you are correct. I was mixing up 'Automatic High Beams' and 'High Beam Assistant.' Strange though - I just re-read the 2012 X5 press guide and they refer to it as 'Automatic High Beams' while the VIN decoder calls it 'High Beam Assistant.' Either way if the features is activated (on the stalk or in iDrive as I've read) it will engage (turn on the high beams) once it senses the conditions are appropriate and turn off the high beam when it senses they aren't.

Whatever you want to call it, it's definitely not the selective version that adjusts to oncoming traffic w/o actually turning off.

My X5 doesn't have it so I haven't read up too much on it. I don't even use the auto headlights on my ZHP so no loss for me...I like to turn stuff on/off at my choosing, not a sensor :)

Yeah you had me all excited when you said your car had that feature. lol

wsmeyer
08-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Nice find!

We've got a X5 4.8i to keep my ZHP company.

...Yes, if you're concerned about gas mileage the X5 (at least the fun versions) is probably not the vehicle for you.

corrected.

jiggz
08-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah you had me all excited when you said your car had that feature. lol

Sorry, didn't mean to elude to that. Jon noted I didn't have the side-view cameras and I was just replying those were part of the Technology Package along with HUD & High Beam Assistant - shoulda said Automatic High Beams! It's an easy package to spot on the X5 as the side-view cameras sit right on top of the front reflector so it's easy to see mine doesn't have this package.

corrected.

True...though I did drive the new F15 X35d and was quite impressed. Tons of power and the Adaptive Drive really ties that thing down to the road.

Hermes
08-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Nice pickup, I like the combo

johnrando
08-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Congrats on the pick up jiggz.

330i ZHP
08-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Great purchase

Imola.ZHP
08-30-2014, 09:59 PM
That's nearly exactly what my better half wants. Wouldn't need the 3rd row. Congrats!

--Marcus

jiggz
08-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Great purchase

Thanks Stuart. I love your X5M!

That's nearly exactly what my better half wants. Wouldn't need the 3rd row. Congrats!

--Marcus

Thats good news for you if you end up looking for one. 3rd row is a pain in the neck to find, especially in conjunction with other desired packages/options. That option is the lone reason our search took so long.

JupiterBMW
08-31-2014, 07:52 PM
So, now that we too are in the X5, I can say one thing about the "High Beam Assistant"... It is now turned off completely. I haven't even used the high beams since we picked up our X, but I've gotten two warnings on the screen that the sensor is having a hard time, so it turned off the assistance feature. Hell, one time it was during the day and the lights weren't even on... Its a weird option, not sure I'll ever use it.

Glad you're loving your X though, we are starting to enjoy ours as well. The gas mileage is atrocious, but its all good, like William said, you can't enjoy them if you're worried about economy...

I love the addition of the M wheel... Those paddles are much cooler looking than the standard M Sport ones!

Avetiso
08-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Nice car, man.

jiggz
09-01-2014, 08:32 AM
So, now that we too are in the X5, I can say one thing about the "High Beam Assistant"... It is now turned off completely. I haven't even used the high beams since we picked up our X, but I've gotten two warnings on the screen that the sensor is having a hard time, so it turned off the assistance feature. Hell, one time it was during the day and the lights weren't even on... Its a weird option, not sure I'll ever use it.

Glad you're loving your X though, we are starting to enjoy ours as well. The gas mileage is atrocious, but its all good, like William said, you can't enjoy them if you're worried about economy...

I love the addition of the M wheel... Those paddles are much cooler looking than the standard M Sport ones!

Good input on High Beam Assistant…or Automatic High Beams (seen it referenced as both on the E70). With xenon headlights I can't imagine needing high beams at all, at least where I live? Both my E46's going back to 2003 had xenons and I never used the high beams.

Totally agreed on gas mileage Jon. Ugh…my goodness I knew full well it would be bad but even then it's still surprised me a bit. I swear just a trip to the grocery store and I can see the needle has moved. You're MPG might even be a little worse than mine :)

Gonna do an intro thread for your new rig? :fistpump

Imola.ZHP
09-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Thats good news for you if you end up looking for one. 3rd row is a pain in the neck to find, especially in conjunction with other desired packages/options. That option is the lone reason our search took so long.

Good to know! Hopefully next year we'll be in the market for one.

--Marcus

JupiterBMW
09-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Good input on High Beam Assistant…or Automatic High Beams (seen it referenced as both on the E70). With xenon headlights I can't imagine needing high beams at all, at least where I live? Both my E46's going back to 2003 had xenons and I never used the high beams.

Totally agreed on gas mileage Jon. Ugh…my goodness I knew full well it would be bad but even then it's still surprised me a bit. I swear just a trip to the grocery store and I can see the needle has moved. You're MPG might even be a little worse than mine :)

Gonna do an intro thread for your new rig? :fistpump

Yeah it's called "High Beam assistant" on our X on the iDrive, but it's basically just automatic high beams. I do use high beams on occasion, but I can do them myself, don't need them automatic... I don't use them enough to enjoy the auto.

Gas mileage... Holy crap! Not to mention the tank is bigger so it hurts that way too. I put $70 in today and i went from just at the reserve to not quite full... So I figure $80 to fill it from the reserve warning... [emoji30]

Will do an intro thread soon... On the plane to the Left Coast at the moment.

jiggz
09-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah it's called "High Beam assistant" on our X on the iDrive, but it's basically just automatic high beams. I do use high beams on occasion, but I can do them myself, don't need them automatic... I don't use them enough to enjoy the auto.

Gas mileage... Holy crap! Not to mention the tank is bigger so it hurts that way too. I put $70 in today and i went from just at the reserve to not quite full... So I figure $80 to fill it from the reserve warning... [emoji30]

Will do an intro thread soon... On the plane to the Left Coast at the moment.

For me it's not so much the cost to fill it (wife's last car had a big fuel tank too), it's the frequency. I guess the two together are a poor combo!

The 50i is rated at 14/20...what is the ///M's rating?

jjcools
09-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Wow, that is a nice looking X5!