PDA

View Full Version : My 06 ZHP vs My 08 335i

Barefoot-ZHP
09-26-2014, 01:42 PM
I miss my ZHP so much it justs sucks, this week especially.

So, 2 years ago I traded my 06 ZHP 330ci 6 MT Black/Alcant with 58k miles in on an 08 335i sedan. Biggest mistake in my Car Life. The ZHP car was trouble free besides basic maintenance.
I bought the 335i car with 24k miles on it from Carmax, they gave me my purchase price on the ZHP for trade in which I had had a little over 2 years which really sealed the deal for me. So, I thought.
Anyway to make a long story short, my 08 now has 46k on it, in the last 3 mos, the Nav has gone out, in the last 2 weeks, the rear window regulator, the water pump for the second time, windshield washer pump leaks like a sieve, the oil filter housing gasket, and oil pan gasket. Thankfully I bought an extended warranty through Carmax which I found out today is covering everything including rentacar.
My 08 has had so many stupid issues, including melting interior pieces, it also needs to LCA's and ready for 50k service. This car is a big POS compared to past BMW's that I have owned. Then when you factor in depreciation ZHP vs E90, there is no comparison.
There has been So many issues, that I have adopted a new philosophy concerning BMW's…

If it doesn't have a dipstick I don't want it.

Just thought I would share this incase anyone else is considering trading, just stay with the E46 and build it to be the best that you can, anything from BMW after 06 is just garbage.

WOLFN8TR
09-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Wow that really Blows!! Sorry to hear about missing the ZHP. I always think if I ever sell my car will I miss? I think this answers that.

stephenkirsh
09-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Pretty much sums up what I've heard from other people.

My dad has a bmw mechanic who comes out to his house for work that he does on the side. The mechanic says "these cars will last a long time," referring to our two e46s. He points at my dad's e60 wagon with an N52 engine and says "not so much this one..."

Barefoot-ZHP
09-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Todays, well they won't have it done until Tuesday but the billed labor is 24 hours!!! @$137/hr The bill total will be over $4k, I would say, then throw in rental car.
It needs rear brakes/rotors which I have just haven't put them on yet. It is my goal to get rid of this POS within the next 6 mos and then get back into a ZHP.
I will post the total bill when I pick up the car, Thankfully I don't have to pay it.

HokieZHP
09-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Wow that's unusual. I've had no issues with my 335 in the last 35k miles (56 total) and Ive been fully tuned for 20k of those miles

In fact my ZHP was the one costing me an arm and a leg. Replaced $4k worth of stuff in the last year I owned it. However it had 150k+ miles.

Different experiences for everyone I guess

NorCalZman
09-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Yes please post the entire bill. Are you having Carmax do all the work or are you paying a deductible and having the BMW dealer do the work? I know doug demuro over at jalopnik uses his carmax warrenty at the land rover dealer.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the E90. I always heard that they were very reliable. At least the later years.

cakM3
09-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Todays, well they won't have it done until Tuesday but the billed labor is 24 hours!!! @$137/hr The bill total will be over $4k, I would say, then throw in rental car.
It needs rear brakes/rotors which I have just haven't put them on yet. It is my goal to get rid of this POS within the next 6 mos and then get back into a ZHP.
I will post the total bill when I pick up the car, Thankfully I don't have to pay it.

....wow....:jawdrop

Barefoot-ZHP
09-26-2014, 02:41 PM
The work is being done at the local BMW dealer, Carmax is booked until Oct. 6 plus with the depth of this work I wanted BMW to do it. It cost me $50 more than the $100 deductible but it is worth it plus BMW got right to it. If I didn't have the Warranty this is all work that I would be doing but thankfully I don't have to.

Barefoot-ZHP
09-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Right now I figure I will have about $300 in it , $150 deductible and left over rentacar bill = $21/ day insurance but with all the old people down here I would rather pay the insurance and not have to pay my $500 deductible if I got hit.

mbeckel
09-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Any pics of the 335i?

jiggz
09-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Bummer you've had so many issues with the 335i. Even w/ those issues, you'd still rather have a ZHP?

My wife has an X5 xDrive50i (V8 - 400 HP/450 TQ), and after driving that my ZHP just feels soooo slow. I've been thinking about a 335i to replace it, but without question I'd only do an LCI (2009-2011) M Sport. Maintenance doesn't really bother me, I just figure that's part of ownership, just like owning the X5.

I figured I'd own my ZHP forever (only 66k miles) but after buying the X5 I find myself wanting a more powerful vehicle…

ranger
09-27-2014, 05:21 AM
I had two E46 - a 2005 325i sedan passed down to son and going strong at 225000 miles and my 2005 ZHP (rear ended - totaled in Atlanta traffic). I bought my daughter a 2006 325i and I am confident that the 2006 325i will not last as long as the E46 and will require more maintenance.

I am enjoying my 2006 MB C55 but I miss the ZHP. If something bad happens to the C55, I am back in the market for a ZHP.

BCS_ZHP
09-27-2014, 05:33 AM
I miss my ZHP so much it justs sucks, this week especially.

So, 2 years ago I traded my 06 ZHP 330ci 6 MT Black/Alcant with 58k miles in on an 08 335i sedan. Biggest mistake in my Car Life. The ZHP car was trouble free besides basic maintenance.
I bought the 335i car with 24k miles on it from Carmax, they gave me my purchase price on the ZHP for trade in which I had had a little over 2 years which really sealed the deal for me. So, I thought.
Anyway to make a long story short, my 08 now has 46k on it, in the last 3 mos, the Nav has gone out, in the last 2 weeks, the rear window regulator, the water pump for the second time, windshield washer pump leaks like a sieve, the oil filter housing gasket, and oil pan gasket. Thankfully I bought an extended warranty through Carmax which I found out today is covering everything including rentacar.
My 08 has had so many stupid issues, including melting interior pieces, it also needs to LCA's and ready for 50k service. This car is a big POS compared to past BMW's that I have owned. Then when you factor in depreciation ZHP vs E90, there is no comparison.
There has been So many issues, that I have adopted a new philosophy concerning BMW's…

If it doesn't have a dipstick I don't want it.

Just thought I would share this incase anyone else is considering trading, just stay with the E46 and build it to be the best that you can, anything from BMW after 06 is just garbage.

Wouldn't be so quick to trash the e9x from a sample quantity of one. We have both, '06 ZHP coupe and '08 335xi sedan, preventative maintenance (PM) on both has been comparable. The ZHP has better road feel, gives you more input thru the steering wheel, you can tell exactly when/where you're pushing the chassis to its limits in twisties, it's a great total package. The 335 has much more power, it slaps you in the face initially when you jump from the ZHP to the 335 and then you get used to it, but the feedback thru the steering wheel is a little numb, definitely not as tight as the ZHP, it leaves you wondering if you really know what the chassis is doing when you push it in the twisties.

On the PM side, I've found parts to be comparable in cost. Time and effort to change brakes, spark plugs, VCG, belts, tensioners, and oil changes is all about the same. The water pump/thermostat PM definitely took twice as long on the 335, and was a PITA with very little room to work in. The 335 was well maintained when we bought it, it had been on the factory extended warranty plan plus had been owned by an enthusiast, regular PM was performed by the previous owners with documentation to back it up. I dread the day when the turbos need to come off, it looks tight on that side of the engine and I've been told it is a 10-12 hour job. I've read the turbos are a problem area that will eventually require replacement so we have an extra set waiting in the garage for that inevitable day, don't know if we'll try that service ourselves or not.

So are the cars different, yes, is it a bad difference, no.

stephenkirsh
09-27-2014, 11:10 AM
BCS, how many miles are on your 335?

Has anybody here had injector issues on their N54s?

fredo
09-27-2014, 11:44 AM
I've had my 2006 e90 330i for the last 4 years. It sits at 89,000 miles now. Outside the usual PM, I needed to replace one window regulator, two ignition coils and the tranny pan. No biggie about the tranny pan, because I planned to replace at 100k miles anyway.

The windshield washer pump stopped working 2 weeks ago, but I can live without it until my next visit to the Indy.

I never owned a ZHP, so I can't compare between both.

stephenkirsh
09-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Never heard of replacing just the tranny pan. Am I missing something?

fredo
09-27-2014, 12:39 PM
I had a tranny fluid leak. This required to refill the fluid and replace the filter. In the e90 the tranny pan and filter come together in one piece. You must replace at the same time. This part was $250.

BCS_ZHP
09-27-2014, 03:36 PM
BCS, how many miles are on your 335?

The ZHP was bought with 67K miles in Sept 2012 and currently sits at 86K miles some 2 years later.

The 335xi was bought with 105K miles in March 2014 and currently sits at 114K.

Both were previously owned by enthusiasts who did PM vs. the recommended maintenance.

MiniD
09-27-2014, 06:12 PM
I have a 6MT ZSP E90 330i and I love it. I think it's a nice upgrade over a ZHP. I've put nearly 10k miles on it in 9 months of ownership. Car has been well maintained and has never given me a single issue. When I had crappy Conti DWs, I missed the steering feel that the ZHP had. Once I installed Michelin Pilot Supersports, I haven't looked back.

Barefoot-ZHP
09-28-2014, 03:54 AM
Everyone has their own opinion of the E90, and that's great that you like yours.
I didn't mention that at 34k miles the car started having transmission shifting issues and that was diagnosed as needing a replacement transmission. It's the steptronic which is the first automatic that I have owned in nearly 30 years but after research I found a "reset" for the trans ECU which cured that problem. It's been 12k miles so obviously that fixed it for now.
It's not just me, if you check out the forums you will see tons of issues with the E90, the 2009+ cars seem to have less but are not trouble free. The non turbo E90s seem to be a little more reliable but is typical (NA vs FI).
I do believe in preventative maintenance and maintain all of my vehicles and do most of the work myself.
In the past, I have owned several older BMW's, 3-E28 M535i, 2-E28 M5, 1-E24 M635i, 1-E30 325ix Touring, 1-E30 Cab, 1-E36 M3 and 1-E46 ZHP all with varied mileage but I have never had a BMW that has required so much with so little miles on it.
I have always said that "BMW's are like women, you have to spend time and money on them or they will leave you stranded" but when I bought the E90 I had no idea that is was a Prom Queen Princess and would require all your time and money. I believe I may breaking up with this b*tch down the road as she is too needy, clingy…A man needs his space.

tkundhi
09-28-2014, 05:53 AM
In the past, I have owned several older BMW's, 1-E30 325ix Touring,

Sweet!

t.

HokieZHP
09-28-2014, 11:11 AM
I understand you're having issues and I'm well aware of the e9x platform issues but I'm just saying it sounds like you've had an unusual number of issues. More than the average owner. Hope it gets fixed though and you can get back into a car you love!

I still miss my ZHP

LivesNearCostco
09-28-2014, 08:47 PM
This is why I avoid driving high-power cars! :-) That way my ZHP still feels fresh, though it's annoying when faster cars pull away from me on track. My E36 M3 accelerates a little faster: some combination of slightly larger engine (3.2L), weighs less, and has shorter diff (3.15 instead of 3.07?)

My wife has an X5 xDrive50i (V8 - 400 HP/450 TQ), and after driving that my ZHP just feels soooo slow. I've been thinking about a 335i to replace it, but without question I'd only do an LCI (2009-2011) M Sport. Maintenance doesn't really bother me, I just figure that's part of ownership, just like owning the X5.

I figured I'd own my ZHP forever (only 66k miles) but after buying the X5 I find myself wanting a more powerful vehicle…

Bird-Dog
09-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Lusting for an e92 M3 ZCP myself... but not willing to give up my ZHP vert just yet (if ever), nor the $50K-ish buy-in.

Hopefully the wife will realize soon that I need a newer DD and the vert for sunny weekends :)

Barefoot-ZHP
09-30-2014, 10:30 AM
WELL, got my 335i back, total bill was $4135.00!

Basic Break down was as follows:
1-Electric Water Pump (this is the second pump in 18k miles) and Associated parts. Total= Parts=$531.00/Labor=$448.00 ($140/hr)
2-Fixing Oil Filter Housing Gasket and Oil Pan Gasket leaks. Total= Parts=$180.00/Labor=$1730.00
3-Replacing Rear Window Regulator Total= Parts=$128.00/Labor=$280.00
4-Replacing Navigation Disc Drive Unit Total= Parts=$133.00/Labor=$392.00
5-Replaced Windshield Washer Pump Total= Parts=$68.00/Labor=$238.00

Total Parts was $1041.00 and Total Labor was $3094.00,

I didn't include the change on a lot of the charges but you get the idea, Thankfully I bought the extended warranty which is good until 2018 or 75k miles or this would have been a lot of work for me. The warranty is transferable too so that is good for when I sell/trade it. Since the BMW dealer did the work my deductible was $150 instead of $100 but I am fine with that considering, LOL! My share of the Rental Car was $141.00 so I ended up having $300 dollars in it.

I will do the Rear Brakes on my next day off and then get ready for 50k service which I will also do.

Barefoot-ZHP
09-30-2014, 02:31 PM
PS I did see a new 2 series, it looked pretty good but I would wait to see how they hold up maintenance wise or just lease one I guess….
I'm going back to old reliable though E46, LOL!

mbeckel
09-30-2014, 05:02 PM
PS I did see a new 2 series, it looked pretty good but I would wait to see how they hold up maintenance wise or just lease one I guess….
Dave Ramsey says a lease is horrible, just giving money away to the dealership. I will never lease a car myself. I'll wait it out for the facts. :)

Barefoot-ZHP
09-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Yeah, leasing cars isn't bad if you don't drive a lot of miles, my parents have leased several BMW's in the past and have bought out the lease of two because the price was so good on it. It depends on the car though, They bought out an E46 and a Z3 and did well on it. The E90 you would probably take a bath on. Whatever, I'm going back to E46 anyway but the M235i is pretty damned tempting!

fredo
10-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Thanks for info. Looks like my e90 needs this at some point:

johnrando
10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the warning. Hope things work out with this car.

mLuMaN83
10-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Although I am planning on my next vehicle being a white Toyota Tacoma V6, I will keep the 3 on the side. I love it so much and the quality really is fantastic. I just need a truck too much. my fishing habit is a big reason along with my occasional surf trip. Ideally, I would love to have a truck and an e46 M3. Till I die.

I have also noticed that around that 2006-2008 number, many cars out there are suffering.

Barefoot-ZHP
10-03-2014, 01:25 PM

That's not a bad repair to FYI, Remove the front wheel, take out inner fender liner and it is right there. I let them do it because it was there and they were doing everything else and it too was covered under Extended Warranty.

I can't give the Carmax Extended Warranty any higher praises, they stepped up and did their thing!

Dave1027
10-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Although I am planning on my next vehicle being a white Toyota Tacoma V6, I will keep the 3 on the side. I love it so much and the quality really is fantastic. I just need a truck too much. my fishing habit is a big reason along with my occasional surf trip.

I've owned a '07 Tacoma Double cab since new. Need it to tow my boat and also share the daily drive with my ZHP. Let me tell you, even with an upgraded suspension, I can only take so much of driving the truck before I long to get back into the zhp.

Bird-Dog
10-06-2014, 05:05 PM

I haven't heard any more about the THP (Track Handling Package) for the 228i since April. Anyone know if it came to fruition?

I got a 135i loaner a couple of years ago. Frankly, I thought that engine was a bit too... hmmm... "frenetic" for a DD in that little body (1 & 2 series coupes are both F22's, IINM). The again, maybe it'd grow on me ;)

Still, the 228i THP may well be the spiritual successor to the ZHP... and should be about $10K less than the M235i.

mLuMaN83
10-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I've owned a '07 Tacoma Double cab since new. Need it to tow my boat and also share the daily drive with my ZHP. Let me tell you, even with an upgraded suspension, I can only take so much of driving the truck before I long to get back into the zhp.

I agree. Especially after getting some suspension refreshed. I love it so much. I still really need that truck though. I got a newer loaner 330i awhile back wanted my E46 back asap. Nothing compares.

Barefoot-ZHP
10-14-2014, 08:59 PM
The ex and I did a 2k mile road trip in my 06 ZHP and she said it was the best car road trip she had ever done as far as being comfortable. She loved the ZHP as much as I did.

fredo
01-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Finally I got this done. I got the parts online for $50. The body shop installed for $50 labor. Good to hear you have warranty that allows dealer repairs.

KevinC
01-23-2015, 10:14 AM
3rd party windshield washer pumps are like $6 and up on Ebay and Amazon. I put one in my Z4MC - how can you possibly lose at that price? And the OEM pump is a turd anyways.. they ALL fail eventually.