PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Monterey Peninsula

Greg330
10-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Hey Everyone,

I have lurked on the board and finally decided to join. I live in the Monterey Peninsula and I own a 2005 330CI convertible with a manual transmission (that has almost every option except BMW Assist and Parking Assist). I have owned the car since 2010 and I often use it as a daily driver. I picked it up with 62k miles and it just crossed 97k miles. It was a former CPO and CPM vehicle and I have done all recommended maintainance. It has been very reliable, only requiring preventative maintenance and a couple minor repairs. It is grey with tan interior so I love the color combo. I have never tracked my car and there is evidence that nobody else has either.

I have always wondered if the ZHP is a noticeable bump in power and handling, or are the differences subtle? I know my car runs and handles extremely well, and has been reliable, so is the ZHP a worthwhile improvement? Would I be better off getting a new drop in filter, Dinan Stage 1 tune, and Dinan exhaust on my car (I live in California so Dinan is the best option for me given the state’s regulations).

I have also considered a manual transmission M3. Is it too harsh for a daily driver?

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi to everyone and thank you for the wealth of information. If anyone sees a clean, low mileage 2004+ ZHP or M3 E46 convertible with a manual transmission that has been well cared for, please let me know. For the ZHP I prefer the full leather option without the suede. I just missed out on a 2004 ZHP convertible that was perfect, but someone bought it two days before I found it.

Hermes
10-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Welcome

I'm confused, do you already have a car or are you looking for one?

Vas
10-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Welcome.

Greg330
10-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Welcome

I'm confused, do you already have a car or are you looking for one?

Hi Hermes,
Thanks for the welcome.
I already own a 2005 330 CI convertible and I am considering a couple different options. I do not know how much of a difference there is between the manual transmission convertible ZHP and the 330 CI, but I have often wondered. I have never had a chance to drive a ZHP. I am considering the following options:

1. Keep my 330 CI car since it is reliable and fun to drive.
2. Add a Dinan Stage 1 tune, Dinan exhaust, and an AFE Pro drop in filter if the performance bump is worthwhile.
3. Sell my car and purchase a ZHP that has a manual transmission and similar options as what I have. This would be based on if there is much of a difference in performance between my car and the ZHP.
4. Sell my car and buy a stock, unmodified M3 convertible assuming it is not too harsh as a daily driver.

az3579
10-24-2014, 11:48 AM
I'd keep what you have. The difference between a ZHP and a 330 with sport package, performance-wise, isn't really worth switching cars over, IMO.
If you didn't have a car and were in the market, it definitely would be wise to spring for the ZHP. If you like your car now, I say keep it. :thumbsup

Greg330
10-24-2014, 12:20 PM
I'd keep what you have. The difference between a ZHP and a 330 with sport package, performance-wise, isn't really worth switching cars over, IMO.
If you didn't have a car and were in the market, it definitely would be wise to spring for the ZHP. If you like your car now, I say keep it. :thumbsup

Your advice is exactly what I keep telling myself on an intellectual level, yet I look at ZHPs and M3s and wonder. I have been happy with my 330. It has served me well the last four years. If I move to a M3 that is a big jump in performance, but I do not know how it would serve as a daily driver. I also question if mods on my car would be noticeable.

ELCID86
10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
+1 Welcome. Unless you want to lose the ragtop.

Greg330
10-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcomes. My indie mechanic says my car is strong and well cared for so maybe I should be happy with what I have. I love having a ragtop since I can drive south down Highway 1 with little effort.

fredo
10-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Welcome, Greg. I also suggest you keep your current car. If you are in the mood for a fresh look, perhaps you could consider new wheels. If such new wheels happen to be OEM style 135, then even better ! :biggrin

Plz post pics of your car when you have chance.

danewilson77
10-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Greg,

Welcome.

No flame suit required!

Oli77
10-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the family!

johnrando
10-25-2014, 06:00 AM
Welcome. Tune, exhaust, etc. will help with a "little more pep" but it's not a big difference. While the total package of the ZHP to me is worth it, it's not a big enough performance bump to switch from a great 330 that you already like if that the reasoning. If you want more performance in an E46, jump to an M3. There are several discussions on ZHP vs. M3, but it always comes down to preference. The ZHP was voted as the best daily driver car by (IIRC) BMW Magazine or something like that. The M3 is a performance beast, so some think it's a little much for a daily driver, but plenty of people do it.