PDA

View Full Version : OEM BMW Aux Hookup Volume Issue

Gnip Gnop
10-30-2014, 07:24 AM
I recently installed the BMW aux kit in my ZHP.

It is a 2005 with NAV.

Is it normal for the aux volume to be very soft? I noticed I have to turn the volume up VERY high compared to the radio or a CD. And by turning it up that high, the sound quality is just awful. I checked all connections, and the volume on my phone. Im using an iPhone5 if that matters.

Is this just how it is? Anyone know whats going on here? I had the aux cable in my 2004 E46 a couple years back, no NAV, and I dont remember it being like this.

Thanks!
-Dan

NorCalZman
10-30-2014, 07:35 AM
I think I have to do the same thing when I switch to AUX. My phone volume is all the way up. When I switch to AUX mode I have to turn it up on via the steering wheel controls too. I dont think it sounds bad, but I wish the volume accross all the various modes would be consistent.

derbo
10-30-2014, 07:51 AM

It is a 2005 with NAV.

Is it normal for the aux volume to be very soft? I noticed I have to turn the volume up VERY high compared to the radio or a CD. And by turning it up that high, the sound quality is just awful. I checked all connections, and the volume on my phone. Im using an iPhone5 if that matters.

Is this just how it is? Anyone know whats going on here? I had the aux cable in my 2004 E46 a couple years back, no NAV, and I dont remember it being like this.

Thanks!
-Dan

Are you already at the highest gain for the AUX on the nav? I don't remember 100% how to do it on a nav anymore but I think you have to select the AUX and CD 1-6 buttons adjusts the gain level of the AUX.

Gnip Gnop
10-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Are you already at the highest gain for the AUX on the nav? I don't remember 100% how to do it on a nav anymore but I think you have to select the AUX and CD 1-6 buttons adjusts the gain level of the AUX.

this may be my issue. I wasnt aware of that. I will try playing around with it!
thanks

slater
10-30-2014, 08:15 AM
that should do it. i don't have the factory NAV, but i was able to adjust the AUX level on my business CD player, so i imagine the same can be done for the NAV unit.

peter

Gnip Gnop
10-30-2014, 08:21 AM
that should do it. i don't have the factory NAV, but i was able to adjust the AUX level on my business CD player, so i imagine the same can be done for the NAV unit.

peter

yes I remember that with my E46 that didnt have NAV. I wish I didnt have NAV sometimes..
I will try it when I am back in town Monday. Currently in Trois Pistoles, Quebec.

cakM3
10-30-2014, 08:42 AM

It is a 2005 with NAV.

Thanks!
-Dan

Dan,
When you're in AUX the numbers indicating which CD you want to select on the left side of the Navi screen becomes your audio level. It is in 6 steps with 6 being the loudest setting. Give it a try. I accidently discovered this a few weeks ago and tend to keep my stereo at the 5th level in loudness. Exactly what Derek posted above (post #3) :thumbsup

NorCalZman
10-30-2014, 08:46 AM
oh my god! If that works you guys will make me so happy! I will be trying this as soon as I get back from Los Angeles next week.

cakM3
10-30-2014, 08:47 AM
oh my god! If that works you guys will make me so happy! I will be trying this as soon as I get back from Los Angeles next week.

Then be ready to be happy! ;)

Gnip Gnop
10-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Dan,
When you're in AUX the numbers indicating which CD you want to select on the left side of the Navi screen becomes your audio level. It is in 6 steps with 6 being the loudest setting. Give it a try. I accidently discovered this a few weeks ago and tend to keep my stereo at the 5th level in loudness. Exactly what Derek posted above (post #3) :thumbsup

THANK YOU! Awesome news.

...your M3 is stunning, by the way.

derbo
10-30-2014, 09:29 AM

peter

FWIW, the AUX gain levels adjustment on a non-NAV requires to be in AUX mode and press the "Audio Note" button till you reach AUX Level. You hit the +- to adjust the gain. I keep mine around 75% or so.

cakM3
10-30-2014, 09:56 AM
THANK YOU! Awesome news.

...your M3 is stunning, by the way.

You're making me blush.....jk. Thanks!

derbo
10-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the confirmation :)

cakM3
10-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the confirmation :)

No problem Derek :thumbsup

ELCID86
10-31-2014, 11:17 AM
FWIW, the AUX gain levels adjustment on a non-NAV requires to be in AUX mode and press the "Audio Note" button till you reach AUX Level. You hit the +- to adjust the gain. I keep mine around 75% or so.

Thanks guys, you learn something new... I alwyas thought that was the auto-volume increase with speed with I find annoying. Always wondered why my Aux was so low and the radio was SO LOUD... all better!

derbo
10-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys, you learn something new... I alwyas thought that was the auto-volume increase with speed with I find annoying. Always wondered why my Aux was so low and the radio was SO LOUD... all better!

There is also an volume increase w/ speed setting that is global. It is under GAL

Without navigation system

Ignition key into Position 1.
Turn radio ON.
Within 8 seconds, press and hold the 'M' button for around 8 seconds.
Scroll through functions using the '+' and '-' keys or the "< >" buttons.
Turn radio OFF to leave the service mode.

Description of Settings Functions

Note that these functions will vary between models.

AF
Alternative-frequency radio setting which automatically finds and switches to a stronger station signal. (off, Auto, Autonopi, Man. Not used for USA broadcasts)

AM or FM
Displays frequency and field strength for current signal.

ANT
Aerial selection options - ANT1 = FM1 aerial, ANT2 = FM2 aerial, ANT3 = FM3 aerial, ANT4 = FM1 and FM2 aerials, AUTO = Automatic selection of FM aerial with best reception.

Area
Used to select the appropriate market (country) setting (USA, Canada, Europe, Japan or Oceania).

Display check
Simple output display check.

DSP (Digital Sound Processor)
This function provides information about whether or not the vehicle is fitted with DSP. (1=Yes, 0=NO)

Field Strength & Quality (F/Q)
The station currently displayed can be assessed for field strength and quality. An 'F' number (i.e. 1-15) is used to indicate the strength of the signal being received by the radio. A high 'F' number indicates a strong signal. A 'Q' number (i.e. 1-15) is used to determine the quality of the radio station broadcast including both the audio and RDS signal if applicable.

GAL
Speed sensitive volume control. The speed sensitive volume control can be adjusted from level 1-6 using the 6 preset audio buttons. Radio volume increases more at level 6 and less at level 1 (road speed dependent). Vehicles equipped with DSP do not use this feature.

Index/Revision Index
Displays the revision index.

Key memory
Switch car and key functions on and off.

NAV/NAV-Min
Navigation volume control setting

RI
A (possible) revision index.

Serial Number
Displays the radio serial number.

SN
Serial number of the radio.

Software Version
Displays the radio software version in format [Calendar week/Year/Version].

SV
Firmware version and production date - in week-year format.

TP Volume (Traffic Patrol)
Provides adjustment for traffic report minimum value. On some vehicles this setting can affect the NAV volume.

TP-V
Traffic information setting, minimum volume. Setting range: -9 to +9.

Type
Display the radio type.

#### ##### ...
Simple visual display matrix/pixel test.

ELCID86
11-01-2014, 07:53 AM
^ Thanks. Yeah that's what I was thinking the Aux level setting was. I have this turned off as I like to control my own volume.

derbo
11-01-2014, 10:38 AM
^ Thanks. Yeah that's what I was thinking the Aux level setting was. I have this turned off as I like to control my own volume.

Yea I didn't know there was an aux gain setting before and I thought the speed-sensitive setting was the gain. Thought it would be good to post the settings for that while we are still discussing audio settings :)