PDA

View Full Version : Another ZHP addition to the family

Bird-Dog
11-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Just picked up an '04 ZHP coupe for my son yesterday!

Silver Gray / Black Alcantara
90,500 miles
$9,200

Not a high-content car, no heated seats or Xenons, but in very nice condition. My biggest gripe is that it only came with one diamond key. For a 17 y/o with a penchant for misplacing his keys that could be bad... or maybe that could be good if he heeds my warning and stops being so irresponsible with his key-chain (& wallet).

My other puzzlement is the Halogen HL's. PO had them aimed so low that the brights were about where you'd expect low-beams. I'll get them aimed today, but also wondering if I need to put a new set of H7's in. I'm not going to invest in Xenon conversion nor buying high-dollar bulbs, so any advice on maximizing the Halogens on a tight budget would be appreciated.

Vas
11-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Welcome. Nice coupe.

danewilson77
11-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Awesome

"No flamesuit required"

Trans
11-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Nice price. Congrats! A new key is about $130 if you ever think about getting a spare. Also, it does look like you have xenons to me? I dont recall ever seeing a ZHP coupe with halogens.

az3579
11-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Nice price. Congrats! A new key is about $130 if you ever think about getting a spare. Also, it does look like you have xenons to me? I dont recall ever seeing a ZHP coupe with halogens.

Unbelievably Xenons were still an option even on the coupes. All of the facelift coupes and verts had the projectors but not all had Xenons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bird-Dog
11-16-2014, 11:41 AM

I wish it were true about the Xenons, but sadly they are Halogens on this car.

Curious about the $130 key source. Last I checked, some years ago on another e46, BMW wanted north of $500.

johnrando
11-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Nice pick up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trans
11-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Unbelievably Xenons were still an option even on the coupes. All of the facelift coupes and verts had the projectors but not all had Xenons.

Gotcha. I see projectors and automatically assume Xenons. Since the car already have projectors, a cheap DDMTuning HID kit and problem solved?

Curious about the $130 key source. Last I checked, some years ago on another e46, BMW wanted north of $500.
I think it was getbmwparts.com

oldzilla
11-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Nice

Bird-Dog
11-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Since the car already have projectors, a cheap DDMTuning HID kit and problem solved?

(re: key) I think it was getbmwparts.com
Thanks for both.

That certainly is cheap enough to make sense on the HID kit. But, what's the deal with doing the conversion on Halogens that are one set of cups/bulbs for low and another for high? Do I replace both lows & highs with 2 kits? Or just one set? Without the vane, as with the AL's in my other ZHP, I guess I don't really quite understand the kit conversion.

Also, when trying to re-aim the HL's, I discovered the Vertical adjusters appear to have their heads stripped. Any cure? Or, am I missing something I should know?

BCS_ZHP
11-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Since you're in GA, look up The Retrofit Source near Atlanta. I converted my new GMC from HIR (high intensity reflective) with projectors to HID for less than $150. Their tech support was great during install, sent me pics of how/where others had installed/secured the ballasts. Also had a ballast go south after 6 weeks when I was away on vacation, they overnighted a new one to the beach and called to follow up to ensure it fixed the problem.

pilotnick1203
11-16-2014, 05:24 PM
6 speed?

stephenkirsh
11-16-2014, 07:20 PM

It was around $250 for my local dealership.

Johal E32
11-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Gorgeous ZHP!

I paid like 180 for a new master key from the dealer. AAA reimbursed me 100 with proof of receipt.

Bird-Dog
11-16-2014, 09:40 PM
6 speed?
Slushbox

My son was willing to go manual, though he's never driven one, and that would have been my first choice for him. But, this is what came up in our price range and time-frame. I do want him to have a manual DD while he's young... will stick with him for life that way. But, I can also see where it might be better for him to get just a little more driving experience first. Let's see how this one goes. If he stays ZHP crazy then we'll look for a 6MT down the road. I have the distinct feeling that this one will be easy to sell if another one grabs our attention later one.

pilotnick1203
11-17-2014, 05:32 AM
Slushbox

My son was willing to go manual, though he's never driven one, and that would have been my first choice for him. But, this is what came up in our price range and time-frame. I do want him to have a manual DD while he's young... will stick with him for life that way. But, I can also see where it might be better for him to get just a little more driving experience first. Let's see how this one goes. If he stays ZHP crazy then we'll look for a 6MT down the road. I have the distinct feeling that this one will be easy to sell if another one grabs our attention later one.

That's how mine was. I will probably sell mine and get a 6mt too.

Au1994
11-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Congrats on the pick up. I'll keep an eye out for you!

BoostedZHP
11-18-2014, 05:52 AM
Nice coupe, love that color!

ELCID86
11-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Congrats to him. Welcome to the two-zhp family.

Dealer will require proof of ownership to order the key. Bring registration and ID. Should be under $200.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

stephenkirsh
11-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Congrats to him. Welcome to the two-zhp family.

Dealer will require proof of ownership to order the key. Bring registration and ID. Should be under $200.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Seems like pricing for these things is all over the map.