PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Housing - Has anyone done it?

Cadeez
12-02-2014, 10:05 AM
I've had a pretty nasty oil leak for some time now, at least a quart a month and I don't drive much. I figured out it was the oil filter housing/gasket, which apparently is pretty common, per my local BMW shop. I'm putting in a new radiator this weekend (which hopefully won't be too bad...), so I figured what better time to tear into the oil filter housing leak issue, than when I'll have a ton of room to do it! Has anyone done this repair before? The housing itself is ~$200+, but I don't think I actually need the whole housing, only the small inner gasket...which is $4.85. My BMW shop said something about the flange that butts against the block possibly warping, so it's best to replace the housing as well. However, their job is also to make $$$, so I don't see that being the case. Any tips on the job itself or the housing vs gasket replacement would be great

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/11421713838/ES23884/
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/11421719855/ES23900/

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Mine was leaking really bad when I bought my car. BMW wanted $985 to replaced the entire OFH! I replaced the gasket/oring for $7 and no more leak. That was 2 years ago. No need to buy the housing.

ELCID86
12-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Yes, not a bod job. Lot's of other things to do "while you're in there"--Clean ICV, DISA, throttle body, etc. Upper and lower intake boots?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659100

Vas
12-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Replace the gasket. Not a bad job to do at all.

Cadeez
12-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Ahhh, that is music to my ears, thanks for the quick replies gentlemen! I'll be so happy to get this all cleaned up, once and for all

Awesome DIY and pics, thanks for the link ELCID86!! Not a bad idea to take care of some of these too (Clean ICV, DISA, throttle body)
:like

Yes, not a bod job. Lot's of other things to do "while you're in there"--Clean ICV, DISA, throttle body, etc. Upper and lower intake boots?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659100

LivesNearCostco
12-02-2014, 02:50 PM
If you need to do the CCV, that's a good one. I did my CCV several months ago, and doing CCV with both OFHG and intake manifold in place is a big PITA. Would have been much easier with OFHG removed or leaning to the side. Good time to replace VANOS oil line if it's leaking, since you have to disconnect at least one end of it.

It is a good time to inspect and clean DISA, throttle body, IACV, and intake boots, but I don't think you have to remove any of those to do the OFHG, so it's not mandatory.

In my case tightening the 6 OFH bolts to spec still allowed a leak but I tightened them down extra and the leak stopped. I think the spec was about 14 foot-lbs and I tightened the bolts to 20 foot-lbs, but check the torque spec, as you don't want to risk stripped holes in the block. I did my OFHG 3 or 4 years ago and a recent check showed it might have one really slow leak now, but not nearly as bad as it was when I replaced it.

Cadeez
12-02-2014, 03:18 PM
So many acronyms, makes a guy feel like noob haha... Are there any good DIY's, or do's & don'ts for how to "clean" each of these valves/parts? Any chance you have the part# or RealOEM page for the Vanos oil line?

Luckily I was able to google the DISA & IACV, and it looks like there are some youtube vids about them.

Cadeez
12-02-2014, 03:30 PM
If you need to do the CCV, that's a good one. I did my CCV several months ago, and doing CCV with both OFHG and intake manifold in place is a big PITA. Would have been much easier with OFHG removed or leaning to the side. Good time to replace VANOS oil line if it's leaking, since you have to disconnect at least one end of it.

Is this the Vanos oil line you were referring to?
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Vanos/ES23138/

Vas
12-02-2014, 03:59 PM
That is the vanos line.

When I did my gasket, I replaced the vanos line and both pulleys.

melonz
12-03-2014, 12:04 AM
While the alternator was removed I replaced the voltage regulator as well.

llll1l1ll
12-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say the OFHG isn't a bad job to do at all! Just make sure you securely line up the bolts while they are out and don't simply place them on a piece of paper in order and then accidentally step and slip on the piece of paper causing the bolts to scatter. Not that it happened to me or anything...

ELCID86
12-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say the OFHG isn't a bad job to do at all! Just make sure you securely line up the bolts while they are out and don't simply place them on a piece of paper in order and then accidentally step and slip on the piece of paper causing the bolts to scatter. Not that it happened to me or anything...

Cardboard box with six holes is the way Bruce schooled me.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

LivesNearCostco
12-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Where did you buy a voltage regular for the Bosch alternator with the oval plug (and no cooling air vent)? I have seen voltage regulators sold for the Bosch alternator with the rectangular plug, or maybe some older Valeo alternators, but not for my alternator model.

While the alternator was removed I replaced the voltage regulator as well.

WOLFN8TR
12-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Cardboard box with six holes is the way Bruce schooled me.

Ha Ha that's exactly how I did mine.

alexandre
12-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Where did you buy a voltage regular for the Bosch alternator with the oval plug (and no cooling air vent)? I have seen voltage regulators sold for the Bosch alternator with the rectangular plug, or maybe some older Valeo alternators, but not for my alternator model.

BMW P/N for that voltage regulator is 12317515319. Doesn't seem like any aftermarkets carry it. Autozone has a Duralast brand but the price difference is negligible.

Alternator P/N is 12317519620. If you're gonna replace the full alternator, Bosch sells rebuilt (AL0816X) but I've had loads of issues with them. I went through 2, and the third's voltage regulator melted on the highway. BMA thankfully took them back for a full refund a year later. I'd highly suggest picking one up from a yard instead. They're cheap enough that I bought two for ~$120 - I'm keeping one as a spare in case I have issues.

LivesNearCostco
12-08-2014, 08:13 PM
thanks. Just verified AutohausAZ and OEMBimmerParts don't have it. ECS Tuning has it listed for $112 with a 3-day ship time, meaning they get it from their friendly BMW dealer. Same for BavAuto except they charge $133. Remanufactured Bosch is $200 + $70 core, but then you noted problems with those. So far my alternator has been behaving but maybe I should get a junkyard spare in case...