PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

94jedi
12-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, need some maintenance advice. I have some money for some necessary maintenance on my car. I'd like to purchase the ECS Level II Cooling system refresh kit. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for the OEM version so I'll be getting the aftermarket kit, http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325Ci-M54_2.5L/Engine/Cooling/ES2063861/.

My questions are as follows - for the price, is there a better option? Also, how difficult is the work? Is this something I could do on my own w/ a good DIY writeup? Lastly, I'd like to also get some UD pulleys and install at the same time while I'm in there. The kit above comes w/ a WP pulley. Should I "opt out" of that one and pick up a set elsewhere?

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

danewilson77
12-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Work is not bad. I have that kit on my car. toughest part will be the expansion tank.

"No flamesuit required"

ryankokesh
12-09-2014, 07:22 PM
http://rugbyea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/you-can-do-it.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

bmrhead
12-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm on the same boat, running close to 59k miles, but I've read threads implying that is not necessary to overhaul the cooling system as many people say. In fact, I know owners with mileage above 150k and still on the OEM system.

Is it really necessary? I guess it has a lot to do with preventive maintenance.

Hermes
12-09-2014, 09:25 PM
At this point mileage isn't as important as age. The newest E46 is 8 years old and needs a new cooling system. The plastic is only good for so long

94jedi
12-10-2014, 03:26 AM
I'm at 105k and think my thermostat is stick open. The car reaches op temp then drops and fluctuates. If never goes over the 1/2 point, but I'm on borrowed time.

Tnhl1989
12-10-2014, 03:32 AM
Check to see if you have heat and ac as well. If you don't have one or the other be sure to bleed the system. Could just be a air bubble. Winter is always the worst time to try to figure things out as things tend to freeze. Happened on my buddy's x5 and he refused to fix that thing for a year. Well good luck with everything.

94jedi
12-10-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the tips. Yes heat and AC have been acting funny lately. In fact one morning I got in the car and the fan did not work at all the display showed the fan at full speed but it didn't work no air came out of the vents. It started working on its own after restarting the car. Only happened once.

Tnhl1989
12-10-2014, 03:47 AM
I guess the second thing I would suggest is getting a scan tool. Possibly a BMW scanner 1.4. That way you can see live data and reset the module if need to be. I know my buddy Kevin was stating that his fan speed seemed low lately due to the weather and it took him a hot to defrost. He believe it was the ihk unit or the fsr that was going bad. He then plug it to the computer, bump the fan speed and change the key memory. Hopefully that solved his problem. I do have a few more scanners if interested as well. Pm me if interested. There is a for sale thread if you want to see what else you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbeckel
12-10-2014, 06:17 AM
I guess the second thing I would suggest is getting a scan tool. Possibly a BMW scanner 1.4. That way you can see live data and reset the module if need to be. I know my buddy Kevin was stating that his fan speed seemed low lately due to the weather and it took him a hot to defrost. He believe it was the ihk unit or the fsr that was going bad. He then plug it to the computer, bump the fan speed and change the key memory. Hopefully that solved his problem. I do have a few more scanners if interested as well. Pm me if interested. There is a for sale thread if you want to see what else you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 great advice. That scanner is the truth!

Sent from in the bushes

UdubBadger
12-10-2014, 06:23 AM
I used that kit on my ZHP as well, the level III actually. Everything worked great except the expansion tank level sensor wasn't correct so CHECK THAT when you get it all to make sure. I ended up just getting an OEM expansion tank from Tischer at cost anyway (cuz Evan is my brotha from another motha) but had issues with ECS returning the bad one. They assured me it was just a fluke and tried to send me another aftermarket one but I told them I wasn't going to pay for labor twice.

Anyway, everything else was good to go so you should be fine.

BADCLOWN
12-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Ive always been a proponent of the following: if you're in there, you might as well replace it.

If there are gaskets/hoses/belts/etc. that you have to remove when doing "x" job, and its not an "arm and a leg" additional cost, go ahead and buy those parts too and replace them. makes life a ton easier as a car owner.

good luck with the cooling system work, you can check off one of the major maintenances on these cars when you're done!

94jedi
12-10-2014, 10:42 AM
^ agreed! Thanks for all the input guys. In the topic of UD pulleys, I've been looking at Turner and RE. Should I get the Turner set with the alt pulley or not? I don't have stereo mods and don't plan on any. Thoughts?

ELCID86
12-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about UD pulleys, but I'd go with the aluminum URO ones. And do change all the idler and tension pulleys.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

san
12-10-2014, 03:08 PM
I just bought the level 2 kit from ecstuning... If u are buying oem just know that the water pump is re-manufactured... My expansion tank failed but I decided to overhaul everything as I did not want it to fail when I was driving... 2006 96k miles...

UdubBadger
12-12-2014, 09:53 PM
http://rugbyea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/you-can-do-it.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Just LOL'd at this again