PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not crazy about the Black Cube trim?

VAB5
01-03-2015, 08:16 AM
I have the beige interior, and I just can't get on board with the black cube trim. To me it looks cheap, rather than sporty.

I'm in the process of swapping out for Myrtle wood. Did the dash and gear shift surround, should receive the arm rest pieces on Thursday. They're gray, but I plan to paint the bottom part black and swap out the top soft pieces from my beige arm rests (will look similar to the natural brown setup). Was able to get then entire dash/shift/armrest trim in excellent shape for less than $300 from a couple of eBay sources.

I plan to re-finish the black cube carefully and pack it away safely for the future.

Anyone else not like the black cube?

Paul

danewilson77
01-03-2015, 08:20 AM
In for pics.

"No flamesuit required"

Vas
01-03-2015, 08:34 AM
I prefer the cube trim ( black or silver ) versus the other options out there.

Just_George
01-03-2015, 08:45 AM
I like the black cube, just switched over the trim in my 330Ci (non-zhp) from the brushed aluminum to the black cube. In fact, I wish the zhp I'm buying had the black cube rather than the silver, but I suspect I'll just live with it...

brettbimmer
01-03-2015, 08:47 AM
In for pics.

"No flamesuit required"
+1.

ryankokesh
01-03-2015, 09:03 AM
I like the black cube, just switched over the trim in my 330Ci (non-zhp) from the brushed aluminum to the black cube. In fact, I wish the zhp I'm buying had the black cube rather than the silver, but I suspect I'll just live with it...

I'm almost positive someone would trade you for the silver.

Sent from my iPhone

Just_George
01-03-2015, 09:06 AM

Sent from my iPhone

That's something I have considered, will have to see about that down the road...

danewilson77
01-03-2015, 09:10 AM

Sent from my iPhone
+1

No doubt

"No flamesuit required"

bshovers
01-03-2015, 09:49 AM
That's something I have considered, will have to see about that down the road...

This guy will lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmsled
01-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Black cube is verah nice. I'm not a fan of most of the woods.
The only wood that I really like is below... but only under certain circumstances.
That wood below would look good with beige leather.
http://up.autotitre.com/5f488ff388.jpg

derbo
01-03-2015, 11:56 AM
I like the black cube for my black interior. I never really considered the zhp a luxury car but more of a sporty one.

johnrando
01-03-2015, 04:50 PM
I have both black cube and silver cube. When I first saw the BC I wasn't sure how much I liked it, but it grew on me, especially in a black car. I could see how with tan it's not the best combo, but I think it goes better with the ZHP vs. a luxury car

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JFern
01-03-2015, 05:45 PM
In my opinion, the black or silver cube trim is more fitting for a sporty car like the ZHP. Wood trim is not what I'd expect in a sporty car.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

danewilson77
01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
In my opinion, the black or silver cube trim is more fitting for a sporty car like the ZHP. Wood trim is not what I'd expect in a sporty car.

This...but the wood trim sure would add a bit of uniqueness and I really like that light wood.

"No flamesuit required"

terraphantm
01-03-2015, 06:51 PM
I didn't like the black cube at first, but grew to like it. I think it looks particularly good in two tone interiors like natural brown. If I could find a good deal on a set for a coupe, I'll probably get it for my M3

illirep
01-03-2015, 08:33 PM
I used to have that light wood trim in a beige interior Zhp. It looked very very nice!

az3579
01-06-2015, 10:00 AM

Sent from my iPhone

This, but...

I have both black cube and silver cube. When I first saw the BC I wasn't sure how much I liked it, but it grew on me, especially in a black car. I could see how with tan it's not the best combo, but I think it goes better with the ZHP vs. a luxury car

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm having an incredibly hard time imagining silver cube looking good with a tan interior. Perhaps I misunderstood?
Personally I would totally rock black cube with tan if I had a tan interior. As far as the cubes go, it's the only option between the two color choices, IMO.

What I can say is that wood trim looks classy as hell with a Natural Brown interior. I actually installed the wood trim that came with my interior when I swapped it, just to see what it would look like and liked it very much, but it didn't suit my car's personality so I put the cubes back in. The regular tan would look pretty nice with it too, but I would definitely throw a lot of black in there just like the OP is doing, with the black dash, black pillar trims, and console pieces. I would even swap parts of the door panels to only have the centers tan.

johnrando
01-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Not sure if you were referencing mine or his. I was thinking black cube would be better with tan interior vs. silver cube.

JeffSaysThings
01-06-2015, 10:14 AM
My only problem with the black cube trim is that I've had people get in my car and point out the "fake carbon fiber trim." I don't think I'd get that if I had the silver cube. That being said, I think the silver trim with beige leather might look too busy. I'm not complaining either way... I love the E46 interior design, regardless of trim color.

johnrando
01-06-2015, 10:15 AM
My only problem with the black cube trim is that I've had people get in my car and point out the "fake carbon fiber trim." I don't think I'd get that if I had the silver cube. That being said, I think the silver trim with beige leather might look too busy. I'm not complaining either way... I love the E46 interior design, regardless of trim color.

Well that's just not right! :) Tell them it's "cube" trim, not fake c/f. Sheesh! :)

JFern
01-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Well that's just not right! :) Tell them it's "cube" trim, not fake c/f. Sheesh! :)

I just tell them it's "machined aluminum" ;-)

johnrando
01-06-2015, 10:22 AM
I just tell them it's "machined aluminum" ;-)

:like

danewilson77
01-06-2015, 11:46 AM
It's never been touted as a CF trim.

"No flamesuit required"

az3579
01-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Not sure if you were referencing mine or his. I was thinking black cube would be better with tan interior vs. silver cube.

Oh ok. I thought you meant the opposite. :thumbsup

I would love to hear that because then I could make them sound ignorant when I say "it isn't meant to be, those are cubes". ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermes
01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
It's never been touted as a CF trim.

"No flamesuit required"

Not officially, but lots of people seem to say then when they advertise their car and don't know what it's really called

BoostedZHP
01-08-2015, 10:41 PM
I'm not a fan of the black cube trim either, although it does seem to fit the ZHP's personality. Silver cube trim is my favorite and I also love the eucalyptus found on the individual e46 m3's.

orange260z
01-17-2015, 07:18 PM
I have black cube with my black interior, and think that silver would look better. I may try repainting this summer. I have brushed aluminum on black leather in the e90 and really liked the contrast. To each his own.

ELCID86
01-18-2015, 08:07 AM
... I may try repainting this summer...

Trade someone?

orange260z
01-18-2015, 11:45 AM
It's a 'vert (I think the rear armrests are unique), and shipping to/from Canada makes it unattractive.

ELCID86
01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
It's a 'vert (I think the rear armrests are unique), and shipping to/from Canada makes it unattractive.

Probably right.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

prowlerflyer
01-18-2015, 12:28 PM
I like the ZHP cube trim, it is very high quality. Although, if I had ordered the car, I would have spec'd silver trim in an all black interior. Would help lighten it up a bit.

Hermes
01-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Honestly I like early 1600 chrome trim, so brushed aluminum or silver cube is the closest. I'm not really a fan of wood trim unless it's a 7, and the black cube is nothing amazing

Edit: this is a 1600

http://www.sincitybmw.com/restoration_gallery/67bmw1600-2Florida/original_images/Interior3.jpg