View Full Version : Need New MAF, What is Safe to Buy?

Palindrome
01-08-2015, 05:25 PM
I had an order placed with ECS for a new MAF made by MTC (?). They are now backordered, at a minimum, through the 21st. Does anyone know of any safe alternatives that will work with an 04 ZHP? I'm also up for suggestions to get rid of my SES light (Lean in banks 1 and 2).

What's been done so far:
- Upgraded the DISA valve to the unbreakable aluminum one
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Cleaned the idle air valve
- Replaced oil recirc valve lines with the cold weather ones
- Replaced all intake and vacuum hoses
- Had a leak test performed by 2 different mechanics, nothing was found
- Cleaned the AFE dry cone intake (came with the car)
- Cleaned the MAF
- Reset the codes about 50 times now

The car drives fine, idles fine, and gets about 21-22mpg on average with mostly low speed, around town driving. I just can't get the darn thing inspected with the SES light on.

Suggestions on a safe MAF are greatly appreciated as are any hints as to next steps.

Hornung418
01-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Oembimmerparts.com

Best price hands down.

"You don't have to blow out my candle just to make yours shine brighter."

az3579
01-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Only buy OE for the MAF. You will most likely regret getting anything else.
I researched this to no end when I needed to replace my MAF; anything that isn't an OE MAF has a high likelihood of causing problems.

And, definitely be prepared for the sting when it comes to price...

duhmiko
01-08-2015, 05:42 PM
MAF failed on me 3 weeks ago.

Local shop quoted over 500 for a new one (with free install).

I just laughed and got on my laptop....

Ordered this with 2 day shipping for $200 less. Comes with 2 year warranty. It's OEM. The only difference you will notice from the original MAF will be that there is no BMW part number stamped on it since it comes straight from the manufacturer and doesn't pass through BMW where they put the diamond encrusted part number.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Mass_Air_Meter_OEM_13627566983_p/13627566983e46.htm

So far, so good.

Palindrome
01-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up on OEMbimmerparts.com and that siemens is the OEM for this part. It is absolutely insane that something that costs <$10 to manufacturer costs THIS much...

Edit: Just placed an order with them for a new MAF, wish me luck that this will get rid of the SES

az3579
01-08-2015, 08:58 PM
MAF failed on me 3 weeks ago.

Local shop quoted over 500 for a new one (with free install).

I just laughed and got on my laptop....

Ordered this with 2 day shipping for $200 less. Comes with 2 year warranty. It's OEM. The only difference you will notice from the original MAF will be that there is no BMW part number stamped on it since it comes straight from the manufacturer and doesn't pass through BMW where they put the diamond encrusted part number.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Mass_Air_Meter_OEM_13627566983_p/13627566983e46.htm

So far, so good.

I thought about going that route when I ordered but I was told by a BMW Tech friend that the Siemens unit without the BMW logo is still considered aftermarket and can still be different than the BMW piece functionally. I didn't believe it but didn't want to take the chance so I bought OE.

Glad your OEM replacement is working well. :thumbsup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duhmiko
01-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up on OEMbimmerparts.com and that siemens is the OEM for this part. It is absolutely insane that something that costs <$10 to manufacturer costs THIS much...

Edit: Just placed an order with them for a new MAF, wish me luck that this will get rid of the SES

Nice! Btw I had the same lean codes. It should get rid of the SES.

I thought about going that route when I ordered but I was told by a BMW Tech friend that the Siemens unit without the BMW logo is still considered aftermarket and can still be different than the BMW piece functionally. I didn't believe it but didn't want to take the chance so I bought OE.

Glad your OEM replacement is working well. :thumbsup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's just hope they truly honor that 2 year warranty if required :)

Palindrome
01-30-2015, 12:12 PM
After speaking with someone at OEMBimmerParts.com, they encouraged me to try the MAF they sell made by TPI. Given the considerable price difference over OEM and the Siemens model, I decided to give it a try. Cleared my SES light and was able to pass an inspection.

I cannot remember the name of the person I spoke with, but he was insistent that the TPI model had less issues than OEM.

I know many of you may scoff at the idea of me using an inferior part. However, my OEM MAF reading out of spec and giving both independent and dealer mechanics a fit when trying to diagnose the car led me to trust this part over OEM. I'll try to remember to post an update of some sort down the road to let anyone who might be interested know if the TPI unit is still working properly.

johnrando
01-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Good it worked out. Definitely keep us posted.

danewilson77
01-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Good it worked out. Definitely keep us posted.
+1

"No flamesuit required"

Hermes
01-30-2015, 08:37 PM
I wonder if I can use a V12 MAF...

I think I would have to use N73 since 6.0

Palindrome
02-15-2015, 08:49 PM
A month in and no issues so far. Temperatures outside have been all over the place, everything from 70F to 7F. I'll report back if I have an issue in the future.