PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with 2 infant car seats in ZHP?

Fender215
01-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Hi guys,

I've searched a number of forums and have come up short so thought I'd ask here:

Does anyone have experience with fitting 2 infant car seats in their ZHP? Though I wouldn't really be using them in my ZHP, if it's worked for you it'll work in my wife's 2010 C Class.

Ideally I'd like them side by side with room for someone to squeeze in, but know this is unlikely and 1 on each side would be great.

The only seat I've found so far (without being ridiculously uncomfortable in the front) is the Cybex Aton which works but it's expensive and finding a frame stroller that fits in the trunk becomes difficult. I didn't have any luck with Graco snugride30 or the Chicco Keyfit30.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
01-11-2015, 07:34 AM
The infant seats face backwards, correct ? Yeah, I never tried to put two at the same time. My son is 4 y/o now and his seat is behind the passenger's seat mostly for convenience. Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

danewilson77
01-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Someone has answered this question before.

"No flamesuit required"

ELCID86
01-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Bill or Joop.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Fender215
01-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Yes, rear facing. I've been searching the forum while on my phone so may have missed the answer- I'll keep looking.

If anyone else has any experience they could share that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jiggz
01-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Yes, rear facing. I've been searching the forum while on my phone so may have missed the answer- I'll keep looking.

If anyone else has any experience they could share that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think it will depend on what brand infant seat you're using - some are definitely bigger than others. The one we used back in the day was highly rated (Britax something…) and quite large. I could only fit it in the middle, and therefore with that particular seat I would not have been able to have 2 at the same time as they'd have to go directly behind the seats.

However it was never really an issue because kids aren't rear facing for very long. Do you have twins? My girls are only 2 years apart but by the time my 2nd one came along my older one was already in a convertible car seat. Now that I think about it…at that time I may have had an infant seat in the middle and a convertible tucked right up next to it? Two convertible seats will obviously fit no problem.

illirep
01-11-2015, 11:33 AM
We have fit two car seats in the backseat of a ZHP sedan. The caveat is that one was for our 3 year old (at the time, now 4+ years old) and one was for our 6 month old (at the time, now 2). The reason why that matters is due to the fact that the 3 year old was in a forward facing seat, which was positioned behind the driver seat. The 6 month old was in a rear facing seat, positioned behind passenger seat.

If the the rear facing seat was behind me, my seat would have been in a forward position to a point where it was uncomfortable.

We have two Graco brand seats, for what its worth.

fredo
01-11-2015, 12:50 PM
We also got Graco on both configs ... Rear and Forward facing. Needless to say, the rear facing seat we don't use no more.

Fender215
01-11-2015, 05:58 PM
It's twins which is why I'm curious if anyone found a seat that worked behind each front seat and still leaving a decent amount of space for driver and passenger.

JupiterBMW
01-11-2015, 06:30 PM
The fact of the matter is, rear facing seats sit very far forward on the back seats and don't provide for a lot of space for the front seat person. Even in our X3, it was that way, as it was in the F30 328d sedan I had. The ZHP is a very small sedan, there won't be any rear facing infant seats that don't necessitate room for the front seat occupants. In my ZHP, we had the same setup that Bill had. Infant seat behind the passenger, my other daughter (forward facing) behind the driver.

So, not sure how tall you are (I'm 6'0") but you'll probably need to learn to get comfortable in a more upright driving position. That's what I did.

Good luck. :thumbsup

bimmergofast
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Never tried rear facing, but used to run 3 across without much of an issue in my sedan. Friend of mine used to put 3 in the back seat of an e46 m3 actually, but can't recall if there was a rear facing in the mix.

Simmsled
01-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Yup.

Test fit all kinds of different brands/combos.

The Recaros fit no worries. No way are you fitting 3 of them tho.

slater
01-15-2015, 05:16 AM
nice, simmsled - that's the way to do it!!

i haven't used the recaro seats but i've heard they are excellent - and if they actually fit in the ZHP allowing the driver to drive, that is a plus.

we used britax seats and i cannot recommend them enough - they are superb both in design and quality of materials. however, the most important part - and you really need to consider this - is that britax seats are crash-tested to 60mph, whereas all US-based seats (graco, cosco, etc; britax is UK-based) are only crash-tested to 30mph. to me, this was the most important decision in buying car seats.

peter

johnrando
01-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Awesome simmsled. Interesting that you found a use for having those 2 extra doors in the back. :biggrin

Simmsled
01-15-2015, 07:28 AM
I love these Recaros. They in fact do leave enough room for me. I'm 6'2" and it isn't bad at all.
Recaro doesn't mess around.

Awesome simmsled. Interesting that you found a use for having those 2 extra doors in the back. :biggrin

Yup! I cracked the code! Lol

Attached an updated pic now that they are forward facing.

slater
01-15-2015, 07:43 AM
nice. do i spy M3 seats?

peter

Simmsled
01-15-2015, 06:23 PM
nice. do i spy M3 seats?

peter

Why... YES! Good eye, kind sir.

slater
01-16-2015, 04:53 AM
Why... YES! Good eye, kind sir.

i only noticed because i just installed a set myself. :)

peter

3ZHPGUY
01-16-2015, 06:53 AM
I've had a Recaro in both the ZHP and a e46 Vert facing back and never realized any problem. Had both my other Grandsons facing opposite directions and don't remember a problem.

Sockethead
01-16-2015, 08:30 AM
We have twins. they are almost 18 months old now. We used Graco rear facing seats for about a year.... Took the kids to the Mafia meet and Bimmerfest in the ZHP with no problems. My passenger to Bimmerfest was well over 6ft tall and he was fine.
I think the seats were SnugRide Click Connect. They had bases that you can leave connected in the car and the seats click in and out..... awesome feature BTW.

The ZHP has the latch system which is great if you're going to leave the bases in the car. The latch system can be a PITA if you're going to be taking them out a lot. The Graco seats were easy to strap in the car and adjust with or without the bases.

We have Recaro Performance ride seats now. The are awesome seats but I haven't tried them in the ZHP yet

Fender215
01-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Cheers everyone for the input. The Cybex Aton seems to work and I'll have to try the Graco click connect (classic connect did not work)

cakM3
01-22-2015, 06:44 AM
Anyone have experience with 2 infant car seats in ZHP?

Don't take this the wrong way folks but I hope never to have to.....

Simmsled
01-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Fender... just to set the expectation...
You will be good for 1 year, then will likely "pound-out" as the wives' club says.
Then for many years, something like the Recaros will be just the ticket.

Congrats! Good luck!