PDA

View Full Version : Best way to repaint trim piece

Just_George
02-08-2015, 01:28 PM
So, I broke one of the plastic covers for the headlight washer (don't ask) - I have the replacement part, but it needs to be painted. I'm sure somebody out there sells small aerosol cans of Imola paint, although I haven't yet tracked one down. Anybody think of a better way to get this done? I'm a little afraid that the typical aerosol paint won't hold up well...

az3579
02-08-2015, 01:50 PM
So, I broke one of the plastic covers for the headlight washer (don't ask) - I have the replacement part, but it needs to be painted. I'm sure somebody out there sells small aerosol cans of Imola paint, although I haven't yet tracked one down. Anybody think of a better way to get this done? I'm a little afraid that the typical aerosol paint won't hold up well...

Take it from me, you're still better off spraying it. It's not going to hold up well anyway, because it's plastic and isn't treated with the E-Coat the factory applies to the metal on the cars, so it's going to chip away anyway. If you order yourself a can of Imola spray, then you can respray it periodically, because it will need it.

Just_George
02-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Oh, I'm sure spraying is the way to go. I'm also pretty sure that when plastic trim pieces are painted, additives are put in the paint to make it more flexible. In a perfect world, I'd have this painted that way, but hard to do on a small scale...

itdnwiwbp
02-08-2015, 03:51 PM
When I repainted my Imola roof trim a couple years ago I got the paint matched and custom mixed at an auto paint store and bought all the supplies I needed including an aerosol sprayer and clearcoat for about $50. It was my first effort and didn't come out perfect but of course I'm the only one who notices. For such a small part you're probably better off with premixed factory paint. It has to be available somewhere. I know I have some Interlagos in my garage. Good luck!

Johnmadd
02-08-2015, 03:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Series-Imola-Touch-Up-Paint/dp/B00M27HT76

Just_George
02-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys! I've got a can of spray Imola ordered, along with the 'plastic prep' spray. We'll see how it works out!!