PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone RE71R. New Extreme Summer Performance Tire

derbo
02-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Call me intrigued.

http://i.imgur.com/cHlhQMW.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R&partnum=54WR7RE71RXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

LivesNearCostco
02-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Likewise color me curious. Appear to be directional whereas the RE-11A tires I have are asymmetrical. I'm not really discerning enough to tell, but the RE-11/11A is supposed to be just very good at track and autocross for a summer tire, not as sticky as Dunlop Star Spec, Hankook R-S3, or BFG Rivals. Maybe this is their attempt to reach that competitive level and offer a tire that can be flipped to even out wear?

And will Costco Tire Centers be able to get these? I hope so, though my RE-11As still have lots of tread depth left.

wertyu78
02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Pricing isn't bad at all.

az3579
02-24-2015, 06:03 AM
Can't rotate... ugh. Won't be buying these...

UdubBadger
02-24-2015, 06:47 AM
I probably will... unless closeout on RE11

UdubBadger
02-24-2015, 07:27 AM
BP makes a good point though, having asymmetrical might be more beneficial to it's likely already short lifespan.

wertyu78
02-24-2015, 08:02 AM
BP makes a good point though, having asymmetrical might be more beneficial to it's likely already short lifespan.

Right. Not having the option to rotate and maximize the life is sort of a buzzkill.

3ZHPGUY
02-24-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm on my second set of Re11s and had no significant issue with uneven tread wear The backs were worn out before the fronts and the fronts had some cupping and slight camber wear so, the complete set was replaced. I'm very satisfied with the wear and performance of the Re11s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
I'm on my second set of Re11s and had no significant issue with uneven tread wear The backs were worn out before the fronts and the fronts had some cupping and slight camber wear so, the complete was replaced. I'm very satisfied with the wear and performance of the Re11s.

Yeah I think combating the camber wear from the front would really be my only issue with them not being asymmetrical. In the end it might not matter enough to me to NOT purchase but we will see, I still have a couple of months left to decide or can just run my DW's into the ground since they're only a year old.

derbo
02-24-2015, 02:46 PM
The price vs Z2 star specs may not be worth it though.

It's about $40 per tire more in 255/40/17 size. I'm not due for tires yet as I am on the Z1SS still but when I do, I will have a tough decision for a track tire that is not an R Comp.

wertyu78
02-24-2015, 04:04 PM
The price vs Z2 star specs may not be worth it though.

It's about $40 per tire more in 255/40/17 size. I'm not due for tires yet as I am on the Z1SS still but when I do, I will have a tough decision for a track tire that is not an R Comp.

Have you considered the RS3 or R888/RA1?

derbo
02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Have you considered the RS3 or R888/RA1?
RS4 is coming soon. I have thought about the hankooks. The Toyos are getting to R compound territory and I still want a street tire that works in relatively damp roads lol.

sent from my phone

UdubBadger
02-24-2015, 05:02 PM
RS4 is coming soon. I have thought about the hankooks. The Toyos are getting to R compound territory and I still want a street tire that works in relatively damp roads lol.

sent from my phone
Yep exactly why I'm probably going with the RE11A's

Johal E32
02-24-2015, 06:32 PM

sent from my phone

Any info? Hankook RS4? I know the Rs3 v2 is on back order.. At least, thats what my friend said who is in the market for a sticky track tire/street tire..

az3579
02-24-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm on my second set of Re11s and had no significant issue with uneven tread wear The backs were worn out before the fronts and the fronts had some cupping and slight camber wear so, the complete set was replaced. I'm very satisfied with the wear and performance of the Re11s.

I absolutely love my RE-11's. I've had them since I bought the car in August 2010 and they have gone through a LOT in that time. Multiple track days, two seasons of autocross, and a few thousand miles of daily driving. They're STILL not corded. I rotated them regularly.

derbo
02-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Any info? Hankook RS4? I know the Rs3 v2 is on back order.. At least, thats what my friend said who is in the market for a sticky track tire/street tire..

One of my track buddies was mentioning it's coming. I haven't check any more info yet on it though.

Sent from iPad Mini

HokieZHP
02-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Interesting. I've been running the new Michelin AS3's on my 335 cause it's the stickiest AS tire and best imo. Still need the snow traction. But thinking when I graduate in sprig, I'll be looking for some extreme performance tires next.

derbo
02-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Interesting. I've been running the new Michelin AS3's on my 335 cause it's the stickiest AS tire and best imo. Still need the snow traction. But thinking when I graduate in sprig, I'll be looking for some extreme performance tires next.

I never look at AS tires cause I'm in California :P hahah.

stephenkirsh
03-12-2015, 03:15 PM

I had these last year. Absolutely terrible.

Grab a set of wheels for winter tires if you have the ability to store them and put real tires on for the non-snowy months

derbo
03-12-2015, 10:01 PM
I had these last year. Absolutely terrible.

Grab a set of wheels for winter tires if you have the ability to store them and put real tires on for the non-snowy months

I dont even think my ZHP will ever see snow :P

Hornung418
03-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Needing something to replace my stupid Sumitomo HTZIII...summers are going back on next week. Holding out for this parts car.

nozhp4u
07-12-2015, 09:23 AM
I saw these on Tire rack when I was searching for some new summers. I used to have the predecessor to the RE-11's (RE-01R if memory serves). I used them for track sessions and summer driving on a B5 S4 for a few seasons. Loved them, although did see some camber wear towards the end of their life. I am going back and forth on these, the RE-11, and Pilot Super Sports for some new wheels I acquired.

3ZHPGUY
03-14-2021, 01:24 PM
I’ll just leave this here, a Facebook post from a Autocross group up in northern Ohio. Good info but, never goes into detail of the tire model.

*** CLUB NEWS - Kenda Tires ***

Just want to comment on a few messages I received since John tagged me in his post, figured this would be a good place to cover all the bases at once.

Autocross John and I were at Dragway 42 playing with some rubber from Kenda Tires USA. It is true that John really did out pace his Bridgestone RE71's

John took lots of runs on both tires. I went in Jedi mode, worked with John on the differences he was feeling in the car with both the Kenda tires and his new suspension. After a few runs, he really did beat his Bridgestone times by almost a full second.

Now full discloser, he had roughly 6 events or so on his Bridgestones and the Kenda were brand new. BUT he obviously new an understood the Bridgestones having run them for years AND the Kenda were not the fast compound, they were the 300 tread wear. The 200 tread wear were tested the next day under a different set of test controls and on different cars.

So from what I have seen both days and what I relayed to Tom Williams from Kenda....a new set of 200 tread wear tires, with the proper suspension and air pressure adjustments would be very very close in time to a new set of Bridgestones. The real difference is the Kenda are about 1/3 the cost less and seem the have a bit better longevity compared to the tires they were tested against.

Ideally this could prove to be a very good tire for 90% of the autocross community that look at both performance and price. It reminded of my early Kumho days when I had a tire cheaper than the Hooiser, could drive to the events on them, beat the Hoosier people, and have them last almost a full season when the Hoosier people could easily be looking for their 3rd set by Oct.

So we are looking forward to the next batch of tires that come from Kenda and giving them anther good test to see what we can get out of them.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk