PDA

View Full Version : New ZHP Owner from Maryland (DC Area)

MackDiva
03-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Hello all,

Been stalking the forums for the past 6-8 months, looking for something to replace my soon to be gone but never to be forgotten Audi S6. I decided on a ZHP because I love the older model and I need 4 doors. With that, the hunt began. Lucked up and found one in Delaware at Union Park BMW that was a trade-in from a guy who originally bought it new at that dealership and had it serviced there until the warranty ran out. It's black on black on with black cube - not my ideal colors but couldn't pass up the single owner car at an ok price. I took some comfort that it was sold at a BMW dealership, though I'm sure all of you will just say it's a pure markup without any peace of mind or extra value. I know I know...

http://unionparkbmw.com/Preowned-BMW-Inventory/2005-BMW-3_Series-330i-Wilmington-f54in7Ao50e1Ok9nzmgApg?Page=1&PageSize=24

I picked it up today, and drove back down to DC - such a blast to drive, even on very boring I-95! Felt tight, and raw and much more connected to the road vs. the S6 that seems to cruise along on it's own, slightly above the road (unless there's a huge DC pothole). I'll miss that luxury beast, but can't wait to build my relationship with the new ZHP, and I'll be bringing some much needed estrogen to these (almost) all male forums.

Pictures to follow - thanks all for creating such a great community!

Finally got around to adding pictures - hopefully they come through with good clarity (for Iphone shots)18863188641886518866

MJB

fredo
03-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Welcome and congrats ! Can't wait for some pics. How many miles on the clock ?

Vas
03-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Welcome.

Hornung418
03-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Welcome, man ! Can't wait for some pics. Congrats ! How many miles on the clock ?
Psst...OP is female :-)

Welcome. Greetings from Baltimore!!

fredo
03-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Psst...OP is female :-)

Welcome. Greetings from Baltimore!!

Thanks for info. Updated my post.

NoVAphotog
03-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Welcome! Always good to have more DMV members! I'm right around the beltway in Reston, VA. Excited for pics, sounds like a great find!

slater
03-17-2015, 06:17 AM
welcome! what year was the S6? i had a 1996 S6. regardless of year, the ZHP will definitely be more fun to drive - and will return better fuel economy in the process. congrats!

peter

cakM3
03-17-2015, 06:25 AM
Welcome and I too will look forward to seeing pics of your ZHP :thumbsup There are people with a lot of knowledge here on this forum, take full advantage of this and have fun with ownership of your "not so special" BMW :)

MackDiva
03-17-2015, 12:41 PM
welcome! what year was the S6? i had a 1996 S6. regardless of year, the ZHP will definitely be more fun to drive - and will return better fuel economy in the process. congrats!

peter

It was a 2013 - loaded to the gills with every conceivable gadget. In a way it's nice to get back to something that is a) smaller and b) much more "basic" in many respects...

slater
03-17-2015, 12:42 PM
It was a 2013 - loaded to the gills with every conceivable gadget. In a way it's nice to get back to something that is a) smaller and b) much more "basic" in many respects...

less electronics = less to break.

a wise choice, in my opinion... keeping these cars on the road is still much, much cheaper than a new car.

peter

Oli77
03-17-2015, 03:59 PM
.. the S6 that seems to cruise along on it's own, slightly above the road... MJB
Exactly how I have felt driving most Audis.

Welcome to the best forum.

ELCID86
03-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Welcome. I'm down in Stafford, VA.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

oldzilla
03-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Welcome....

johnrando
03-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Congrats and welcome! LOVE triple black (as you can tell from my car). The link you posted just goes to the generic BMW page but I'm sure you'll be posting pics here soon as you said. (We also have a black car pics thread in the photo section). Great to get a single owner car this many years out of last production date. Any mod plans as you build your relationship with your car?

Vas
03-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Sounds like Norther Virginia Members and me need to meet up for an official Spring meet kick-off.

NoVAphotog
03-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Sounds like Norther Virginia Members and me need to meet up for an official Spring meet kick-off.

:like

cakM3
03-18-2015, 09:21 AM
:like

The sooner the better for you guys/gals! We're supposed to get more snow Friday/Saturday again.....

MackDiva
03-18-2015, 06:53 PM
The sooner the better for you guys/gals! We're supposed to get more snow Friday/Saturday again.....

Please tell me this is a joke...?!

MackDiva
03-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Coby Steering Wheel and new shifter knob will probably be my first mods to the car. Longer term I'm thinking about dynavin or something like that because I do miss having bluetooth in the car for work related calls during the morning and evening commute.

cakM3
03-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Please tell me this is a joke...?!

I wish it was a joke....tomorrow we're supposed to get between 1"-3" of snow then another inch on Saturday...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/f4aae0abc7ce7325567da73e728f5750.jpg

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

NoVAphotog
03-19-2015, 02:30 AM
I wish it was a joke....tomorrow we're supposed to get between 1"-3" of snow then another inch on Saturday...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/f4aae0abc7ce7325567da73e728f5750.jpg

If it snows here in DC it hopefully is not going to stick to the roads. Supposed to be upper 40s all day today and "snow" overnight. Fingers crossed we don't see any of it...maybe I should change my sig pic...bad omen.

cakM3
03-19-2015, 02:55 AM
Dan, I think you need to change out your sig pic...but then so do I! I can see snow in mine as well ;)

johnrando
03-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Coby Steering Wheel and new shifter knob will probably be my first mods to the car. Longer term I'm thinking about dynavin or something like that because I do miss having bluetooth in the car for work related calls during the morning and evening commute.

Nice. You can add bluetooth with a Parrots/Connects2 kit, and you won't have to change out whatever headunit you have in there. The Dynavins or others give you much more added function, like iPod, NAV, etc. (but cost more). I don't have one, but check out Eonon and a few others brands besides Dynavin, there are reviews on our site as a few members have them now and they seem to be liked. Do you already have NAV?

brettbimmer
03-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Congrats on the new wheels and welcome from across the Chesapeake!

MackDiva
03-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Nice. You can add bluetooth with a Parrots/Connects2 kit, and you won't have to change out whatever headunit you have in there. The Dynavins or others give you much more added function, like iPod, NAV, etc. (but cost more). I don't have one, but check out Eonon and a few others brands besides Dynavin, there are reviews on our site as a few members have them now and they seem to be liked. Do you already have NAV?

Don't have Nav now, and wouldn't mind adding it. I'm definitely going to do some research on what head unit to add in terms of functionality and reliability. open to suggestions too, so keep them coming everyone. In order of importance: 1) Bluetooth calls, 2) Bluetooth streaming, and 3) nav system. The car has the Bluetooth prep already, so perhaps that makes some of this easier...?

NoVAphotog
03-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Don't have Nav now, and wouldn't mind adding it. I'm definitely going to do some research on what head unit to add in terms of functionality and reliability. open to suggestions too, so keep them coming everyone. In order of importance: 1) Bluetooth calls, 2) Bluetooth streaming, and 3) nav system. The car has the Bluetooth prep already, so perhaps that makes some of this easier...?

My car has bluetooth from the factory and it is definitely handy. While not as fancy as the modern systems it works pretty much the same. The only thing it can't do is 2)bluetooth streaming. Have to use the AUX cord for music. Calls move between the car and phone seamlessly and you can browse your phonebook on the steering wheel so it is enough for my needs.

cakM3
03-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Bluetooth prep meaning your car is prewired. You will need a 13th gen TCU module (much cheaper than a comparible ULF module), a bluetooth antenna for the car, and a second gen microphone. Everything is plug and play. I have done this to both my BMWs so I can have hands free bluetooth comms.

Going OEM BMW bluetooth for E46 won't allow you to bluetooth stream music into your stereo. If that's important then you might want to look at getting a current Eonon deck. Gary (Wolfn8tr) and Botond (az3579) can answer your questions there :thumbsup

MackDiva
03-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Bluetooth prep meaning your car is prewired. You will need a 13th gen TCU module (much cheaper than a comparible ULF module), a bluetooth antenna for the car, and a second gen microphone. Everything is plug and play. I have done this to both my BMWs so I can have hands free bluetooth comms.

Going OEM BMW bluetooth for E46 won't allow you to bluetooth stream music into your stereo. If that's important then you might want to look at getting a current Eonon deck. Gary (Wolfn8tr) and Botond (az3579) can answer your questions there :thumbsup

Thanks Cak. Do you have an iPhone/iPod connector in your car(s)?

cakM3
03-22-2015, 06:35 AM
Thanks Cak. Do you have an iPhone/iPod connector in your car(s)?

I have the BMW AUX input kit installed on both of my BMWs. They work perfectly with my iPhones

ELCID86
03-22-2015, 07:21 AM
The Aux jack is the quickest win for getting phone sound to the OE head unit. Not a bad DIY if you are the tad bit handy.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?662-BMW-OEM-Auxiliary-Input-DIY-doityourself

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?661-OEM-BMW-Auxiliary-Input

Hornung418
03-22-2015, 07:04 PM
I have a DICE unit I managed to save from my car. $30 and it's yours. I also have a Parrot BT that was in whiteXi's car. It was given to me for a beer and I will pass it on to you for the same should you wish to go aftermarket in your quest for sound and hands free calling.

johnrando
03-23-2015, 07:34 AM
That is a totally cool offer Justin! Mafia helping mafia. :thumbsup

MackDiva
03-23-2015, 05:55 PM
I have a DICE unit I managed to save from my car. $30 and it's yours. I also have a Parrot BT that was in whiteXi's car. It was given to me for a beer and I will pass it on to you for the same should you wish to go aftermarket in your quest for sound and hands free calling.

Thank you! I'll happily take you up on this!

PM to follow :)

ELCID86
03-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Curious as to which one.. You're both in MD, so it could be the Parrot for the beer!

MackDiva
03-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Added photos - what a great car. Went out for a drive up and down the GW Pkwy today from McLean to Alexandria and back again. For those of you in DC you'll know what I'm talking about. So fun to run errands in the middle of the day every now and then...

Hornung418
03-31-2015, 06:33 PM
It was nice weather today, too!

Your package is with Newjack. I will PM him your contact info so you two can arrange a meeting. :-)

Hermes
03-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Welcome

ELCID86
12-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Still out there?

MackDiva
12-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Still out there?

Yep, still here and enjoying the car. I bought the Dice unit etc but haven't installed it yet. I did buy a Coby Wheel and alcantara shift knob, and even managed to diy on the install! Quite proud of my first wrench work, and it looks and feels great.

Only downside is I forgot to send back my old steering wheel so I forfeited my deposit. ��

It's still great though, absolutely the best cheap mod going!

Sometimes I contemplate moving to an e90 M3, but for now the love affair with the ZHP is still on!

How are things on your end?

3ZHPGUY
12-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Just getting in late. Welcome and nice find.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

TheFinanceGuy
12-09-2015, 07:21 AM
How did I miss this thread? Welcome!
Looks like water street in Georgetown from your pictures?