PDA

View Full Version : replace 3 items - Vanos oil feed line, cyclone separator, oil filter housing gasket

jsfbmw
03-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Brief background - took my car in for an oil change at dealer and coincidentally they had just got in a replacement airbag which they installed. They also performed a courtesy vehicle inspection. I need to say that the dealer has provided great service whenever I brought the car in. I also use an expert indie for a number of things (for example, cooling system change).

The dealer's inspection listed the vanos oil feed line, oil filter housing gasket, and cycle separator as soon-to-need replacement due to oil leaks. Nothing necessary for now. My question is around complexity and pricing. Yes, I know the dealer will be more $ but this is offset sometimes by a free BMW loaner vs logistics of renting a car and having a friend help with dropping my car off at indie. The dealer listed the following $ (rounded) - vanos...line - $200, oil...gasket - $500, and cyclone - $600.

I went through a whole bunch of maintenance threads and found info on the above; one showed the vanos line at $5, so to me this implies a whole lot of labor to get to it. How complex are these items to replace and what have others paid to get these done. Many thanks.

Vas
03-29-2015, 07:05 AM
The prices you posted are covering the labor since the parts are cheap. Vanos oil line iirc is $30 and the ofhg is $5. Ccv system is around $150.

If you can do it yourself that is the best way. Its not hard.

WOLFN8TR
03-30-2015, 08:58 AM
The prices you posted are covering the labor since the parts are cheap. Vanos oil line iirc is $30 and the ofhg is $5. Ccv system is around $150.

If you can do it yourself that is the best way. Its not hard.

X2...DIY's will save you a bunch of money! You can do all of that yourself for under $200.

$1300 vs $200

johnrando
03-30-2015, 10:34 AM
None of those are hard, no special tools needed. Check out the DIY videos. For those, I wld diy, and I'm not a mechanic. I recently did them, it's more about time and organization vs. Difficulty, with a little effort on small things that are kinda of a PITA but not hard.

Sent from mobile