PDA

View Full Version : Steptronic vs 6mt Pricing

chacend
04-24-2015, 03:46 PM
So, two cars exactly the same (sedan, mileage, options, condition, history....) but one is a steptronic and the other a 6mt. How much of a price penalty/premium for the transmission.

Asking because while I would rather have a manual, a really great low mile (under 40k) step just popped up and I'm thinking about it. Every now and again we see a premium low mile 6mt sedan go for high teens low 20s price so what's the auto version worth?

Chris

UdubBadger
04-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Auto is in less demand among enthusiasts but I believe was priced higher to start and higher demand for mr everyday driver so could go either way. Some might work one angle against you no matter what you are buying.

At that low mileage though I'll bet less demand is on auto so you'll see a lower price with that one specifically.

GoingHAM mobile

ELCID86
04-24-2015, 04:00 PM
^ +1, and don't settle. I had an AT car and liked it but ended up selling it and getting an MT. If it really doesn't matter to you, then go with the best deal.

jakksfor20
04-24-2015, 04:11 PM
I would expect 10-15% for enthusiasts. Just a bit of info, it will cost you $2,000-2500 in parts to swap it to a 6 spd manual. Add in $1300-1500 to have a shop do it including the coding.

JB3
04-24-2015, 04:19 PM
For a DD in the city, I loved my e90 330i A/T. Plenty fun, and a lot less hassle in stop and go. Just make damn certain you drain/refill and change filter at:
1)50-60k
2)100k
3)150k, etc.

If you change it at 60 the first time, still change it at 100, and 150. The first one is the only one I would stretch to 60, from my experience. Can elaborate if needed.

All that said, if this is a 2nd/fun car, I agree don't settle. Just buy the 6MT.

In regards to your specific question. I would expect to be able to get an A/T at ~14k at that mileage, using the angle that "I really want a 6MT" to the seller, but as Badger mentioned, Mr. Everyday might not see it that way, and the seller could definitely hold out . For me, any higher and I'd rather spend the 3k and get the 6MT.

I have seen some very strange things from both end of the spectrum when dealing with a 10 year old, now niche-market car. It's a fine line between giving your left nad, and finding a new niche. :p

BCS_ZHP
04-24-2015, 06:39 PM
So, two cars exactly the same (sedan, mileage, options, condition, history....) but one is a steptronic and the other a 6mt. How much of a price penalty/premium for the transmission.

Asking because while I would rather have a manual, a really great low mile (under 40k) step just popped up and I'm thinking about it. Every now and again we see a premium low mile 6mt sedan go for high teens low 20s price so what's the auto version worth?

Chris

Chris,
We've had a lot of e46s in our family, 5 ZHPs, and yet only one steptronic. The first ZHP I bought was a steptronic because it was so beautiful and right, but soon found myself yearning for a stick shift. The other members of my family felt the same way, the ZHP is a super ride for what it is but it's a little bit more if your life situation allows you to have a manual. My wife loves her e70 but she whines occasionally that she wishes it had a stick. We're probably going to sell her e70 this year because she wants a stick shift again, and she has horrible rush hour traffic to deal with daily but still wants to shift gears.
Bruce

chacend
04-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys, when I mentioned automatic to my wife, she cringed (I think she has PTSD from all the cars I've bought over the years). Mostly because she knows me and how quickly I can get bored with an automatic. That and she knows what I really want is my old ZHP back (6MT).

UdubBadger
04-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Nothing a tune and a supercharger can't fix ;)

ELCID86
04-25-2015, 02:58 AM
Thanks guys, when I mentioned automatic to my wife, she cringed (I think she has PTSD from all the cars I've bought over the years). Mostly because she knows me and how quickly I can get bored with an automatic. That and she knows what I really want is my old ZHP back (6MT).

Do it.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.